Author Topic: How Did You Choose Your Puppies Names?  (Read 7499 times)

Offline PollyKay

• Site Member
How Did You Choose Your Puppies Names?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 09:00:46 PM »
I've been undesisive over my pup's name but I think I'll stay with Sidney, even though my mum produced a list of names for him as she doesn't like Sidney (says it reminds her of Sid James)  I've been through the Kings of England names as he's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel especially sons of Henrys. (his dad's name is Henry). OH even tried to put me off as he says he feels daft calling him Sidney.  He wants to call him Henry after his dad.  I still like it though so Sidney it will be.
I like Cinders for a black dog too.
Good luck with your name choosing - it's not easy because there's always someone who doesn't like the name you decide on.
Polly (& Sidney the Cavalier)[/size]

Offline sarahb2206

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 09:10:25 PM »
:P  Ebony (Ebbie) is one of my favourites too!!!  I am going through the exact same thing - my little one is a solid black girl too, who we pick up in four weeks time!!
But the boys have decided we will call her Bramble.  My youngest one suggested Blackberry - and I saw the name Bramble, and it seems to have stuck.  But until we bring her home and see what her personality is  - it may well change!! :rolleyes:   But it is soooooo exciting!!!!
Sarah and Bramble XX

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »
:P  Ebony (Ebbie) is one of my favourites too!!!  I am going through the exact same thing - my little one is a solid black girl too, who we pick up in four weeks time!!
But the boys have decided we will call her Bramble.  My youngest one suggested Blackberry - and I saw the name Bramble, and it seems to have stuck.  But until we bring her home and see what her personality is  - it may well change!! :rolleyes:   But it is soooooo exciting!!!!
 :) I love the name Bramble .. but Ebbie is nice too ! x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 10:04:16 PM »
But until we bring her home and see what her personality is  - it may well change!! :rolleyes:
I had to resist the temptation to *change* the name we chose for Molo - but I went through the same thing after my daughter was first born  :rolleyes:

I think that both of them have"grown into" their names; and after a few days, I could not imagine them with any other names, although "Pooch" is used as often as "Molo" in our house  :lol:

I love all the names mentioned - I could never choose - which is why we left th choice of Molos name to my daughter  :lol:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 10:04:54 PM »
Not very original, but we chose Jarvis after Jarvis 'Cocker' of Pulp.  It really seems to suit him now and everyone seems to like it.  His pedigree name is Blackoaks Zantia (we chose the Zantia bit from a few options because it sounded like Zante in Greece, and Greece is our favorite holiday place).

Years ago I knew someone who had two Springers (working beating dogs) called Bracken and Holly and those names really suited the characters of Spaniels.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2005, 10:27:47 PM »
I've got:

Rosie, Daisy, Poppy, Paddy, Jasmine & Lily

I can't have any more because I can't think of any more flower names that I like....... :D

Not only that, I think my OH would probably divorce me!

Offline k

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 10:31:07 PM »
We had long discussions over names as we involved the(3) kids .Bramble is black with some white just like the  dog in my favourite story when I was a child and he was called Shadow. Everyone liked the name but I went off it when I heard my husband with his Yorkshire accent say Shadda!Also try to say sit Shadow quickly!!
We decided on Bramble as Cockers were originally used to flush out game from the hedgerows and the reason they would have their tails docked is so they wouldn't get damaged in there amongst the brambles.(Having said that our dog is complete with tail) Also we tried to think of things that were black and blackberries came up so it fitted in nicely. However now I think Shadow would have suited as he follows me everywhere, he even gets in the shower with me sometimes!!!!!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 12:08:54 PM »

For Jimmy I just picked a load of names I liked, then out of them chose my favourite - simple really. :D

I promised my neices they could name the next one - the 3 names they came up with were Jimetta, Sparkler and Misty. There was only one possible winner out of that lot. :blink:

I think girl's names are much harder to choose, being a bloke I wouldn't want to have to shout out anything too girly in the park. My childhood dog was called Bonnie and I never liked the name, loved the dog though.

Offline graciesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 12:26:10 PM »
For Jimmy I just picked a load of names I liked, then out of them chose my favourite - simple really. :D

I.
[snapback]100711[/snapback]

Yep me 2, Gracie is just a name i thought sounded pretty   :wub:
Owned and loved by Gracie a blue roan

My Webshots
My Space

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 01:18:59 PM »
I picked the name before I got the dog!
I liked the name Bonnie and when we got our first cocker thats what we called her. She suited her name and it was funny to hear people say "Oh thats a "bonnie" pup" and I would always reply "that's her name!"
I would call her Little Bonnie blue (as in blue roan)

With Penny I wasn't too sure on a name, her mother was called Tiffany and we tried calling her that for a night, but it seemed like a mouthful. So I chose Penny. It started as a joke because my husband said she had cost a pretty penny!
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 02:26:34 PM »
i clip a cavalier called Louie (as in king)

Fern was named before i got her
Willow was named before she was born!
Bryony and Gypsi were named be people on this forum! the had to be plant names to fit in with the other 2! :P
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 04:34:17 PM »
OK, I think we have settled on Ebony or Ebbie. Whew, now other important decisions to be made - which crate, which bed, to chip or not to chip. This is harder than having a baby!!  :D

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
Tia was named because my son had a friend with a dog of that name and he liked it :)
Saffi because my daughter liked the name from Ab Fab :D
And Max because he came with it, though for some reason i kept on calling him Sam  :huh: but stuck with his own name as we all liked it :)
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 05:14:23 PM »
With my solids I have a theme of naming them after black singers

Neneh  :P (Cherry)
Otis  B) (Redding)

But my latest pup got the name Halle, not only because she is black & beautiful like the actress, but when Neneh was having the pups the first two born were dogs and my friend who was with me said "come on, we need some girls", so when the 3rd pup was a girl she exclaimed "Oh, halle -bl**dy-lujah". I looked at her and said "that's it - Halle"  :D  Up until that point I hadn't got a clue what I was going to call her. I didn't have to think up any more girls names as she was the only bitch in the litter  ;)

Offline Emily

• Site Member
  • Crystal <3
    • http://www.molkara-cockerspaniels.piczo.com
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 06:03:28 PM »
Hello,

I've got 3 4mth old black puppies at the moment, it took us ages to think of names but there were 2 that we could name instantly, 1st was "Dennis" as in "Dennis the menace" we knew he would be called this from the moment he could walk as he was such a monster!  :lol:  But he's soooooooo sweet.

Secondly there is "Minnie" because she was the smallest but now she has caught up with the others but she has still kept her name. :) The other one is called Crystal she a little sweety to, all she wants is cuddles, she can sit there for hours just being loved :) but there is no reason for her name we just couldn't think of any others that didnt sound like the names we all ready had. :D