Author Topic: Can't Cope Much Longer  (Read 8021 times)

Offline panda66

• Donator
Re: Can't Cope Much Longer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
Thinking of you. I had the same thing with Peter my springer. He was fifteen too, deaf and doubly incontinent for about six months but he enjoyed his walks. Eventually he was unable to walk far and slept all day , he was still eating and drinking but one day I could just tell it was time. It is so hard because you worry that they could have another good day,week, month.
I was glad I took him, he didn't know and it was painless and quick(for him). His kidneys were failing the vet said.
It is so hard but I am glad he didn't suffer as he may have done if I had left it a bit longer. We are lucky that our dogs don't have to suffer as humans do. It is the last kind thing we can do for them but it is sooo hard.
 :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »
So sorry to read this. Can understand your mixed emotions and send  love and best wishes at this very difficult time.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:36 PM »
My heart really goes out to you, I have had to make the decision to release several of my beloved cockers. I am a firm believer they know only quality of life and not quantity. I know this may come across as hard, but I'm not, as I write I have tears streaming down my face as I think of you and my girls that have gone to the Bridge.

The question I always ask is who am I delaying the decision for? The hardest decision is also the kindest.

My thoughts are with you  :bigarmhug:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 11:11:51 PM »
My heart breaks for you Robbie, as you know we helped Millie go to the bridge 2 1/2 yrs ago now and I  have often battled with the guilt of did we do it to soon, should we have carried on and let her go on her own, I still don't know if we did, but one thing I do know is we let her go because we loved her so much we did not want her to suffer. I know you love Charley very much and what ever you decide to do, will come from your love for him. 

Thinking of you  :bigarmhug:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
So sorry for you and for Charley  :'( the last kindness we can do for our furry companions is help them when the time is right. I think you've already realised that the time is near. I've had to do this four times now and each time I've been sure the moment had come, even though my heart was breaking. Sending you lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to help you through.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

What a hard time you are having Robbie.

Go with your heart.....you know your boy.  You have cared for him for many years.

Xxxxxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
I feel you anguish Robbie, we also have faced this awful situation four times in our lives with cockers, most recently in February with George.

We all know this time will come, and you have been blessed with 15 long years with Charley, a good age for a cocker.

Hard as it is I think you know the right decision, from what you have written I think Charley would thank you for helping him to the bridge, a last kindness you can do for him.

Your pain will ease and you will be left with fond memories of a dear friend.

So sorry you are having to face this.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 12:38:31 AM »
I'm so sorry to read this Robbie - I have seen the following on another forum and it has helped others reach a decision

The advice is from a vet in the book by Laura and Martyn Lee, "Absent friend"
Here it is, in case it helps to make things clear for you  :luv:

Is the animal:
free from pain, distress or serious discomfort which cannot be effectively controlled

able to walk and balance reasonably well

able to eat and drink enough for normal maintenance and without much difficulty, and without vomiting

free from tumours which cause pain or serious discomfort and are judged inoperable or otherwise untreatable

able to breathe without difficulty

able to urinate and defecate reasonably frequently without serious difficulty or incontinence (I think it should be pointed out that incontinence doesn't necessarily mean the end, it depends on how owner and dog cope, as some dogs are very distressed and others not worried).

and, is the owner:
able to cope physically and emotionally with any nursing or medication that may be required?

IF the answer to any of these is "No" and treatment is unlikely to help, then euthansia might be the preferred action to take

Andrew Edney, past president of the BSAVA.

Whatever path you take I know you will put Charley first as you always have - thinking of you and Charley  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »
So sorry to hear things have become so difficult Robbie.  I am not surprised you are finding it hard, especially when you are not 100% yourself.   :'(

I know you will do the absolute best and kindest thing for Charley - it does sound like the time is very near so the above from Helen might help clarify things in your mind.  Another thing I have often heard which is so true is "Better a day too soon than a day too late"  :-\

It is a heartbreaking situation whatever happens but Charley has had a long and happy life, and he could not have had a more caring and loving owner to take care of him to the end  :luv: He knows you will do the best for him and he trusts you to make that hard decision for him - unfortunately it does not seem that our beloved pets just go to sleep peacefully when the time comes as we would like  :'(

In the meantime, sending you lots of these :bigarmhug:

Julie and Watson

Offline Nicky C

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »
My heart goes out to you and Charley. Last year I had to make that decision twice within a couple of months. It was the hardest thing to do and my heart still aches. Looking back I wish I had had the courage to ease my Jesse's journey to the bridge a bit sooner. With Rusty we had the courage and were able to give her a dignified bridge journey in our arms at home.

You and Charley are in my thoughts and prayers.

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
So sorry.  I can only agree with others, it is the very last service we can do for our beloved dogs, to let them go when the quality of life has already gone xxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
I'm so sorry Robbie. I remember meeting you and the lovely Charley and Henry when you were holidaying in the New Forest a couple of summers ago and a group of us walked at Fritham. Charley had a great time and your love and care for your dogs shone out  :luv:.

I understand how painful it is to see an old friend like Charley losing his way. I was in a similar situation with my very old boy Josh some years ago. Josh wasn't incontinent, but towards the end was showing signs of dementia as well as being deaf and almost blind.

Only you can make a decision on Charley's behalf and I'm sure your great love for him will help you do the best and kindest thing. From what you've said it sadly sounds as though that decision time is very near. It's heartbreaking and devastating when we have to say goodbye to our much loved friends, but I firmly believe that there comes a time when that last act of love for our dogs is to let them go peacefully.

Sending you some hugs  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and thinking of you.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Hugs to you both, I'm sure that poor Charley must feel so confused and upset at times. Thinking of you. Take care and good luck with your scan.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
If you have reached the point where you have to admit that Charley has no quality of life then I think you have answered your own question. My thoughts are with you. :luv:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
So sorry to hear about your lovely dog, sounds very similar to my late golden retriever he had doggie dementia, going deaf, and the last 8 months of his life just messing everywhere & treading it in, he also loved his food, it is very upsetting indeed having them for this long and seeing them this way, one morning I could see it in his eyes and he cried out and I knew then it was his time to go! I was very proud of him getting to the age of 15 years & 2 months! I'm sure you'll know yourself when the time is ready! (((((Hugs))))) to you! Xx