Author Topic: Can't Cope Much Longer  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Can't Cope Much Longer
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
I feel you anguish Robbie, we also have faced this awful situation four times in our lives with cockers, most recently in February with George.

We all know this time will come, and you have been blessed with 15 long years with Charley, a good age for a cocker.

Hard as it is I think you know the right decision, from what you have written I think Charley would thank you for helping him to the bridge, a last kindness you can do for him.

Your pain will ease and you will be left with fond memories of a dear friend.

So sorry you are having to face

[/quote

There is no easy answer to your dilemma Robbie but we are all here for you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Lovely

Can't cope much longer
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »
So sorry you're faced with making this decision, it's the only down side to having dogs. I think you know what to do, but it's so hard actually going through with it. We have always had the vet come to us in these situations as it is so much calmer and peaceful for everyone. I think the hardest part is making the decision, once the decision is made i always feel calmer knowing it's for the best. X
Ali

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
Re: Can't cope much longer
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
We have always had the vet come to us in these situations as it is so much calmer and peaceful for everyone. I think the hardest part is making the decision, once the decision is made i always feel calmer knowing it's for the best. X

Totally agree. I just came on to say we had the vet come to us and I'm so glad we did. Cassie was terrified of going to the vets so we didn't want to take her in. It was very peaceful and comforting that she was home with people she loved and trusted.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »

I'm so sorry Robbie. I remember meeting you and the lovely Charley and Henry when you were holidaying in the New Forest a couple of summers ago and a group of us walked at Fritham. Charley had a great time and your love and care for your dogs shone out  :luv:.

I understand how painful it is to see an old friend like Charley losing his way. I was in a similar situation with my very old boy Josh some years ago. Josh wasn't incontinent, but towards the end was showing signs of dementia as well as being deaf and almost blind.

Only you can make a decision on Charley's behalf and I'm sure your great love for him will help you do the best and kindest thing. From what you've said it sadly sounds as though that decision time is very near. It's heartbreaking and devastating when we have to say goodbye to our much loved friends, but I firmly believe that there comes a time when that last act of love for our dogs is to let them go peacefully.
Sending you some hugs  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and thinking of you.
I remember you coming down too Robbie and walking with Charley for a while when you were retrieving Henry  :luv:  He really is a lovely lovely old gentleman, so completely understand why this is so very hard for you.  As others have said I too look at quality of life over quantity, and there is no doubting that Charley has had the very very best life with you. Take comfort in that as you decide whats best...  :bigarmhug:'s for you Robbie. xxx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
Just go with your heart, you know what is the right decision is.Sending you :bigarmhug: xxxx
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »
Echoing everyone else - you love him and will make the right choice at the right time. Huge hugs for you at this terrible time.

xx

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. The decision gets harder when you know you have to make it. Just sending hugs to you and your lovely old boy.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline dal55

• Cassie and her much loved ball
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »
How heart breaking for you. You obviously love him very much, take heart in that you have given him a good life. Such a hard hard decision to have to make but if he is in misery you will make the kindest decision.
Don't beat yourself up, take care XXXXX

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
I am just so very sorry for you Robbie & your gentle boy Charley  :'(
Its the worst part of sharing our life's with these special dogs  :'( 
Its so clear to all of us that have met you, Charley & Henry how much you love & care for them....its just so desperately sad that one day all of us have to make the heartbreaking decision  :'(

Our Goldie became incontinent, had dementia, along with his arthritis gradually worsening to the point that his back legs would often just collapse.  It was heartbreaking to see how distressed/confused he became by accidentally doing his toilet indoors, he was such a very proud dog.  The awful decision for us was taken out of our hands because one sunny hot september day he had a stroke in the garden  :'(   The OH was at work so i was home alone with him....god knows how but i carried him up the steps from the garden & lay him down by the back door.  He was still with us at that point but extremely uncomfortable.  I sat mopping his face whilst gently talking to him, in the meantime i had also called the OH back from work.
I wish at the time i had thought of calling the vet to our home instead of taking him to the vets because it would have been more peaceful for him.  :'( It was such a very, very sad time excarberated by losing our 1st cocker 6 mths to the date too.  :'(

Robbie....i hope you can take some strength from knowing that so many people are thinking of you & Charley  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 01:59:36 PM »
I really feel for what you are going through - we went through this with our 14 year old Westie 2 years ago - she went blind and then death and she just used to walk round in circles getting really distressed   :'( 

We knew when the time was right to help her to the Bridge and I am sure you will to.  It is one of the hardest, saddest decisions we have have to take as loving owners, but also the kindest.

Big hugs to all of you xx
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
Echoing everyone else - you love him and will make the right choice at the right time. Huge hugs for you at this terrible time.

xx

Everyone on here has said the words I would have said to you
all I can do is to send you lots of these. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Please remember Charley will always be with you, just a thoughts away.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
As others have said, there is nothing I can add to this, I really feel for you and just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you  :bigarmhug:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
Just sending you all some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Whatever decision you make you will wonder if it was the right one.  If you leave Charley's life to end naturally, you will feel guilty for thinking you might have put him through pain, if you have him pts you will always "wonder what if?"

Be strong in the thought that he has had a wonderful life and he must be feeling very uncomfortable and confused now and is likely to get worse very quickly.  I do agree with the others, if you make the decision we all dread, have a lovely quiet, happy day with him in the home where he feels loved and secure and ask the vet to come to you.

Take care.

Pat

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
Reading your post the thought came to me that if it were one of my dogs I would be thinking that it may be their time. Not even taking into account your difficulties or his incontinence. If he is spending most of his waking time crying then it sounds as if his quality of life has deteriorated.

I'm sorry if that comes across as harsh - it is hard to judge these things on forums. Thinking of you in this awful situation  :-* :-* :-*

Millie

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
So sorry you are facing this sad decision  :'(

I'm a firm believer that it's the greatest act of love you can show a faithful friend

:bigarmhug:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)