Author Topic: Dog Poo  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Snoopy

Re: Dog Poo
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
In the garden I use cheap nappy sacks 1 each poop then double bag a few into carrier bags because dog poop has to be doubled wrapped to be collected in our fortnightly general waste.

Any done on walks are picked up and put in the bins provided. If its a normal waste bin I also double wrap into another poop bag.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
A friend of mine also puts her dog's down the loo (she has a ridgeback, so they're probably not very small!). Another friend puts them in another plastic bag and disposes with the normal rubbish once a week.

I'd call the council to ask if in doubt about which rubbish bag to put them in.

I have no garden so the poos are all outside, but there's a dog poo disposal bin about 20 seconds' walk away (far enough away not to smell!) - very handy indeed! Otherwise just use public rubbish bins when out walking along roads or in parks. It drives me mad when I see the little bags lying on the street or in the countryside - people can make the effort to pick the poo up and bag it but not then carry it with them to a bin!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
Poos in the garden go into a poo bag and straight into the normal black wheelie bin for non-recyclable rubbish.  Poos in the park are picked up and put in the bins provided. For poos in the countryside - in woods or while walking by the canal or somewhere similar, I use the stick & flick method, and flick it into the undergrowth beside the paths.  I HATE it when people pick it up in a bag, and then hang it on a tree or bush!!  It drives me demented!!  I just wish they'd leave it in the middle of the path rather than do that!!!!

And, have you noticed?  Whenever you see anyone 'pretending' not to notice that their dog has 'been' on the grass verge while out on a pavement walk, it's almost always a bloke!!!  >:(   ( No offence to all the blokes out there who do always pick up after their dog, but you'll rarely find a woman who leaves it there!! )

Offline Buzby

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »
A friend of mine also puts her dog's down the loo (she has a ridgeback, so they're probably not very small!). Another friend puts them in another plastic bag and disposes with the normal rubbish once a week.

I'd call the council to ask if in doubt about which rubbish bag to put them in.

I have no garden so the poos are all outside, but there's a dog poo disposal bin about 20 seconds' walk away (far enough away not to smell!) - very handy indeed! Otherwise just use public rubbish bins when out walking along roads or in parks. It drives me mad when I see the little bags lying on the street or in the countryside - people can make the effort to pick the poo up and bag it but not then carry it with them to a bin!

Surprised not more people flush them,  I think we use too much plastic as it it and the idea of using poo bags for every single poo seems excessive.
And without a garden kitchen roll is just as easy.  But that is just us. - and I think it is just us!

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 08:03:43 AM »
It has never occurred to me to put it down the Loo, but I guess if its firm I could pick it up with loo roll and flush it away. Far easier and environmentally freindly. Thanks.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline anna*sian

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »
We have two poo monsters and a fortnightly general waste collection in our area, so in the summer the build up of poo bags stank to high heaven  :020:  I did consider putting it down the loo but didn't fancy carrying it in through the house.  So I came up with the idea of replacing the heavy metal drain cover/manhole out the back garden with a hatch!!  Got my handy dad to make it for us though  :005:  Basically we took the measurements of the old manhole cover (less a cm or so on the shorter length of the rectangle to allow for hinges) then cut this out of thick bit of ply leaving a rectangle shape. Then cut the rectangle in half (or so), attached hinges to re-join the two pieces and added a handle to one end of the rectangle.  So now I poo pick around the garden with my arms length poop scoop (saves bending), then go to what's now been renamed as the S**t hatch (manhole) lift the handle and drop it down.  This gets washed away with the water from our kitchen/bathroom and our loos.  I live on a slope so there is a good run off with the drains but if there's a bucket of water or a watering can handy, I'll wash it away as soon as I drop it down, save any build up.  I don't really see that I'm doing anything wrong as it would be the same as taking it inside to flush down the loo - it ends up in the same place.  Plus it saves the refuse collectors one less stinky pick up  :005:

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
I might be wrong but I thought that water from that from those drain goes to be recycled for drinking. Just check it out as you may be contaminating the water supply.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline anna*sian

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
I might be wrong but I thought that water from that from those drain goes to be recycled for drinking. Just check it out as you may be contaminating the water supply.

Thank you for pointing that out as I don't want anyone else trying this and contaminating water  :o  Ours is ok as it's the the drain that carries our loo waste away.

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
Oh right that's different to ours, didn't want you getting in trouble :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
Molly and Bella have the same food. Yet the amount of varies.
We have an old bin outside so I use poo bags then they go in the bin and I put them in the black bin on bin day. Wouldn't put themin the green one.
On walks just use any old bin (council removed dog bins as they said all gets disposed of same way)

Offline Buzby

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
It has never occurred to me to put it down the Loo, but I guess if its firm I could pick it up with loo roll and flush it away. Far easier and environmentally freindly. Thanks.

You are most welcome  :D

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Poos in the garden go into a poo bag and straight into the normal black wheelie bin for non-recyclable rubbish.  Poos in the park are picked up and put in the bins provided. For poos in the countryside - in woods or while walking by the canal or somewhere similar, I use the stick & flick method, and flick it into the undergrowth beside the paths.  I HATE it when people pick it up in a bag, and then hang it on a tree or bush!!  It drives me demented!!  I just wish they'd leave it in the middle of the path rather than do that!!!!

And, have you noticed?  Whenever you see anyone 'pretending' not to notice that their dog has 'been' on the grass verge while out on a pavement walk, it's almost always a bloke!!!  >:(   ( No offence to all the blokes out there who do always pick up after their dog, but you'll rarely find a woman who leaves it there!! )
As a 'bloke' I take slight exception to your last paragraph but don't want to make a big thing of it - I have seen it from both sexes but don't think we should be going down that road on here.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

As a 'bloke' I take slight exception to your last paragraph but don't want to make a big thing of it - I have seen it from both sexes but don't think we should be going down that road on here.

If you'll read the highlighted bit from my post - you'll see I said that I meant no offence to the thousands of men out there who do pick up after their dog.  I apologise if I caused offence.

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
Yep - read it when you posted it - thanks but no need to apologise.
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »
There's a council poo bin very conveniently sited at the exit to the fields where Milly 'n Chaz usually get their walks, some 50 yards from the house. They wait patiently for the few seconds it takes to drop off their poo bags in the bin but quite often take this as a hint to perform again midway between the bin and home  :005:.
These poo bags, and those we fill with the garden deposits, are placed in a lidded ceramic urn half buried in the soil alongside the path to the back door. Come bin day they're all bagged up into a recycled carrier bag and put into the general (non-recyclable) waste bin.

Bob.