Author Topic: Yesterday was a very sad day.  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Yesterday was a very sad day.
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
I have looked after Honey, the golden cocker spaniel who lives next door, whilst her mum is at work or away on holiday since they moved in when Honey was 2 years old. ten and a half years ago.  I also walk Toffee, Honey's 5 year old sister, every day.

Honey had been on antibiotics and steroids for a few months.  She had a large growth like lump around her lady bits which the vet thought was to do with her bladder.  She has been absolutely fine, apart from looking like one of those monkeys with a red bottom.  She went on holiday at Easter and when she came home it was obvious the lump was worse and other lumps (her mum is an ex-nurse and says they were tumours) were appearing almost daily and on some of them the skin was breaking down.  Honey, however, was fine, she still met me everyday with a very wagging bum looking for the treat I had brought her and then rolled onto her tummy for me to tickle her and would eat anything you gave her, we knew this was probably the steroids.  Her tablets were due to run out yesterday and we knew, me and her mum, that the vet would give no more, although her mum was clinging to the hope that he might.

About 10 days ago an appointment was made for 5.30 yesterday.  Up until Thursday Honey, in herself, was still fine.  I had warned her mum that this would happen and it did, on Thursday evening Honey looked at her as if to say 'Mum I have had enough'.  I saw her early Friday morning and I could see she had deteriorated and that the appointment had been made for the right day.  Her mum had to go to work but, after walking my Ellie and Toffee, I stayed with Honey.  She was still eating and wagging her bum, but I knew.  

She was going in and out of the house and at about 2 p.m. she wandered up the drive and lay in the sunshine on the pavement.  So for over an hour that is where we stayed, her lying on the pavement and me sat on it.  It was so hard, I kept looking at my watch and then looking at Honey thinking, she has 3 hours left, she has two and a half hours left, .....  My sister once homed an elderly beagle and when it was Sam's time she brought him home from the vets for one last day at home.  She said she would never do it again, all she did was watch the clock and count the hours, and I know just what she meant.

We went to the vets and Honey went to the Bridge.  I was telling her how she was going to have a little sleep and when she woke up she would be all well again, there would be sunshine all the time, lovely water to splodge in and a little bit of mud to roll in, and bonios galore.  Her big sister Sophie would be there, as well as Felix the cat and my Sophie and they would all look after her.  Her mums and my arms were around her, I was talking to her and feeding her her favourite treats right up until her eyes closed for the last time.  Toffee was brought in and sniffed her all over so she would know what had happened to Honey and would not be looking for her.

I know she wasn't my dog, although I always thought of her as half mine and so did her mum, but I feel as though my insides have been ripped out.  

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
Re: Yesterday was a very sad day.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »
 :'(  :'( run free Honey
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
So sad - run free Honey  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
I'm so sorry :'(

Run free Honey :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
I really am so sorry  :'( Honey was so lucky to have you there in those last hours  :bigarmhug:
RIP and run free Honey  :luv:
xxx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »
I'm so sorry, but what a lovely, touching story. She was such a lucky girl to have been so loved. Lots of love to you all xx

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
Run fee Honey x

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »
Run free Honey. :luv: What a lucky girl she was to have two lovely people to care for her so much. :bigarmhug:
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
Sitting here in tears reading this  :'(  Run free Honey  :luv: :luv:

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you and her Mum xx
Lynn

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
What a touching story, sleep sweetly Honey.  :angel:  :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 09:42:44 PM »
So sad, I really hope you are ok and Honey's mum.

You all loved her very much and let her go when the time was right, however desperately sad that is my heart breaks for you all  :'(

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
Run free at the bridge little Honey.  No more discomfort for you little girl.

:luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
Awwww Gaynor sweetheart  :luv: what a lovely heart felt thing you did for little Honey  :'( I know that your heart is truly broken  :'( :'( but what you did for Honey while her mummy was at work was beautiful  :luv: and you can take comfort knowing that you were with her at the end  :'( :'( love to you and honey's mum
sleep well Honey playing forever at the bridge  :angel:  :angel: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
I was choked reading that.How lucky Honey was to have you in her life as well as her own family,  :luv:

Run free Honey  :luv:

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline suespaniel

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »
 :'(  so so sorry how heartbroken you must be x