Author Topic: Having To Make A Dreadful Decision  (Read 13100 times)

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Having To Make A Dreadful Decision
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 08:35:20 AM »
Robbie I'm so sorry that Charley has reached the stage where he's at now. I remember him from the COL meet up in the New Forest when you were on holiday a couple of years ago and he was still a sprightly and happy boy then.

It can be very difficult to take a step back and try to look at your beloved companion with objective eyes, but that's what you need to do to help Charley.

I think you possibly already know in your heart. You've said that Charley is no longer recognisable as the dog he used to be and that his quality of life is poor. Please don't think that it's like casting off an old item that's no longer of use. If you make the decision to let Charley go you'll be releasing him from his confusion and distress and giving him that last gift of love that we all dread to give and hurts us so much, but lets our loved ones find peace.

Thinking of you and your lovely boy :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Can only echo what Elaine says Robbie.. thinking of you and Charley :bigarmhug:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 10:16:08 AM »
I've just posted in another thread about our last dog Callie having dementia. So sorry for you Robbie and I know exactly how you feel. Callie was also 16 but we really lost the real Callie a couple of years before. We mad the decision in November last year and it still breaks my heart to think about her last years-dementia is dreadful in dogs as well as humans.

She spent her time circling the house, getting stuck in corners, trembling at any noise. She lost her bark, her energy, her zest for life and she just wasn't there anymore. We had wee and poo inside all day every day for the last year or so also. I'm so sorry to say this but it will only get worse.

We eventually made the decision and as I've said before, it should have been made earlier. We put it off because we felt just like you, as though we were getting rid because she was no longer 'any good'. But it is not like that. It really was the kindest thing for her to release her from her confused little mind. I truly believe that Callie knew on the day she was going and her tail was wagging again (strange I know) as we went to the vets-she hated the vets all her life but not on her last day. I am sure she was relieved and I like to think she knew was going to a better place.

Good luck with your decision. My heart goes out to you and I send love and best wishes for you and Charley xxx

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
Dear Robbie, my heart is bleeding for you now and this momentous decision. I feel the same as the other people posting and no doubt more who have read, cried, then felt unable to put their thoughts in writing.  :'(  :'(  :'(

Charley is now depending on you to make the ultimate choice and make it you must for his sake. You have gone above and beyond taking care of him, now hopefully with some wise words and guidance from all of us to help, you realise the time has come to let him go. Remember all the good times and know he will be reliving them at the bridge and waiting for you to join him eventually xxxxx

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
Dear Robbie, my heart is bleeding for you now and this momentous decision. I feel the same as the other people posting and no doubt more who have read, cried, then felt unable to put their thoughts in writing.  :'(  :'(  :'(

Charley is now depending on you to make the ultimate choice and make it you must for his sake. You have gone above and beyond taking care of him, now hopefully with some wise words and guidance from all of us to help, you realise the time has come to let him go. Remember all the good times and know he will be reliving them at the bridge and waiting for you to join him eventually xxxxx

Couldn't put it better.....

My heart goes out to you Robbie.  After all you have been through together I would say hold Charley close, but let him go  :luv:

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
I'm so sorry to read this, and sending lots of love and strength to you all through this difficult time  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
As others have said, it's got to boil down to whether the bad outweighs the good - for Charley - and this is the ultimate act of love.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
So sorry that things are so bad for Charley now  :'(

But I can only echo what the others have said - I really think that the time has come  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 03:11:47 PM »

Couldn't put it better.....

Everyone one on here have said the words I couldn't say
it is a price we pay for loving them and letting them into our lives.
but I must add
That Charley will never leave you,
 he will be just a thought a way and
Fit and well again.
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Val

My heart goes out to you Robbie.  After all you have been through together I would say hold Charley close, but let him go  :luv:

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
Soo very sad, but we as humans have had to help our furry friends in the end, and you will .....

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
Nothing to add but thinking of you x

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
Nothing I can say to ease the hurt and grief but I think in your heart you know the time has come. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
Awww Robbie sweetheart look at Charlie  :luv: look into his eyes and see what he is trying to tell you  :'( are they sad? is the old Charlie still in there?  we knew with Poppy when we had to say goodbye as she had kidney failure and her quality of life was nothing  :'( gone had my bouncy loving life little girl  :'( as the kidney thing had took it's toll on her she was a shell off her former self and it wasn't fair on her to keep her going just for us  :'(. It is hard Robbie but it is the last gift of love that you can give to your precious boy  :luv: I know how you are feeling all of us on here that have loved and lost do  :luv: give Charlie a big kiss from all of us  :-* x x x

Sound advice Dianne......as always.

So very sad for you and for Charlie, Robbie.  My heart goes out to you.  This is not an easy one. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »
I really feel for you, had to make this decision a few years back for the same reasons.
Don't feel bad it is the kindest thing you can do for him. He isn't going to get better. You wouldn't want him to suffer. Let him go gently, he would thank you for it. When I did it I felt relieved for my girl and myself. It was the right thing to do. It's not an easy thing to do, but not as bad as you fear, my girl slipped peacefully away. Got to admit took her to the vets twice to do it, and brought her home again with more tablets, which were not going to do any good for her at all. Big hugs for you and your boy, be strong and do it for him.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
I echo what Julie said. So sorry xx :'(
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 05:13:28 PM »
I am thinking of you at this difficult time.  :luv:

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 05:33:31 PM »
It truly is the time we all dread. I have lost 7 of my own dogs and I had to play God with them all. Each has broken my heart and apart from Brodie who I had to return and the rescue decided, I know each time there was no other choice, they look at you as if to say "I've had enough Dad, time to go". I know its always been right for the dogs I have lost, but I still cry buckets every time.