Author Topic: Having To Make A Dreadful Decision  (Read 13099 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Having To Make A Dreadful Decision
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 06:09:46 PM »
 It's akin to casting off an old item that's no longer of any use.  

It's really not, it's letting them go with some semblance of dignity. As much as we'd like to hope our dogs will go peacefully in their sleep after a totally healthy life in reality unfortunately this seldom happens and to my mind the very least we can do for them after all they give us throughout their lives is give them a dignified end when they are too old and/or too ill to be themselves any more. It's not a matter of them being an inconvenience or 'wanting rid'; it's thinking about what is fair to them when they are ill, confused and distressed with no hope of recovery, hard and heartbreaking as it is to have to be the one to make the decision. If you know that your dog no longer has any quality of life then it is past time to be brave and do the right thing by them. There's no doubting your love for Charley and this is the last and greatest kindness you can give him now.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
I agree with everyone and I really hope you find the strength to do the right thing for Charlie.
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »
What a heartbreaking decision for you  :'(  Lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: to you.

My mam knew when it was time for her springer, she just had it written in her eyes, almost begging to be let go, so so sad but you must do what is best for Charley  :luv:

Take care.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
 :'( :'( I have no words of wisdom for you, I still hurt for all my pets that I
Have had to make that decision for. I think you and only you will know when the time is right, it's had to put there needs first when we love them so much.  I love and prayers are with you both x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »
Thinking of you and Charley and feeling so sad for you. 

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »
.  Am I doing it for myself, or in the best interests of Charley.  It's akin to casting off an old item that's no longer of any use.  

I would have to ask you honestly - are you keeping Charley going for yourself or for him? You would not be casting him off you would be rewarding his love and loyalty over the years and repaying the trust he would put in you that you would look after him until the end and not let him suffer or struggle in an undignified way.  I can't begin to imagine the pain you are feeling now, and I know you say you can't make the decision - but if not you who else can do it for Charley?  Stay strong  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and let your heart guide you to make the right decision for Charley.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that Charley is so poorly  :'(
If you know that your dog no longer has any quality of life then it is past time to be brave and do the right thing by them. There's no doubting your love for Charley and this is the last and greatest kindness you can give him now.
I so agree.
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »
you have to do the hardest/kindest thing for them in the end , its obvious you love him  :luv: i think you know in your heart you have to make the hardest decision for Charleys sake and i really feel for you  :'( :'(
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
Agree with the sentiment expressed - thinking of you and Charley and the last kindness you can give him. :bigarmhug:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline PopPops

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
I'm so sorry. I had to make this decision with one of my precious cats, Jazzie, just a few weeks back where I could have prolonged treatment although there was very limited hope of it helping, but knew the least distressing and best thing for her was to let her go. It's inevitable that no matter how much you know that this is the best and most loving and responsible decision, you still question yourself and your motives and deal with the feelings of guilt and disloyalty and all the rest of it. It's horrible to go through.  :bigarmhug:

What I've always held onto is that my pets give me so much, I don't want them to ever have to know what suffering or distress is. Being there for them and with them at the end of their lives is a part of loving them, and I could make sure Jazzie was with me in a calm, peaceful room and that once she'd had the injection, she just fell asleep in my arms while I talked to her.  It doesn't ease how much you miss them, but you will remember that you made the right decision at the right time out of love.

Thinking of you.
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Dear Robbie, as the others have said it is time to let him go, we had to make the same choice with our Chocolate Lab, he had bowel cancer, had 3 operations in the hope of prolonging his life, we went for a check up from the last one, the news was bad, it was spreading too fast, I am sure he knew what the vet was saying, he looked at us with such pleading in his eyes "let me go Mum please" I knew then the time was exactly right.
You will know too if you look into his eyes, will be thinking of you 

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 12:17:20 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear about Charley and I agree with what everyone else has said.  Ask the vet to come out to your house though - it will be better for both of you.

A lovely vet I had for over 20 years till we moved once told me she wished people would put their old dogs to sleep months sooner than when they finally decided to do it.

Thinking of you.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
Dear Robbie, i am so sorry, that you are having to decide what decision to make :'( all i can say is you know how much Charley loves you and the amount of love you have given him all his life,  the most loving thing you can do for your beautiful boy now is to give him the peace, that he so deserves  :luv: :luv: Thinking of you and sending lots of love  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
Thinking of you Robbie  :bigarmhug: at this terrible time.
You have got to be strong for Charlie. Hold him in your arms, soothe him, reassure him, let him gently slip away into peace. Let the last things he feels in this life to be your arms around him, loving him.
If you do put off the decision,  Charlie could go in the middle of the night, scared, bewildered and alone.  You wouldn't want that for him.
The pain you are feeling is the price we have to pay for loving them so much  :'( :'(
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline black taz

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »
I would agree that it is all in the eyes.   I knew that my collie cross was ready just by looking into her eyes, i made the decision about 9.30 pm that i was going to take her to be PTS the next day.  One hour later she passed quietly away, with absolutely no fuss, she just laid down and went to sleep.

Given his quality of life, I think you already know what your decision should be, but it doesnt make it any easier.

you have my sympathies