Author Topic: How did you pick your Cocker's name?  (Read 6978 times)

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
How did you pick your Cocker's name?
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »
I'm interested in names and what inspires them to be chosen........so, how did you come up with the name/s for your Cocker/s?  :shades:

Buckley was chosen as one of the dearest loves of my life has been Jeff & Tim Buckley. Particularly Jeff, his music has saved me more than once  :luv: :luv: :luv: I was going to pick Ziggy, cos Ziggy plays guitar...(actually, Ziggy Stardust aside I had a Springer called Zag as a child & wanted to carry on the love for him in the new Cocker pup)...but my OH said Buckley was perfect for everything it embodied about myself, and also who else calls their dog/pet Buckley? Literally only a couple of people have guessed the inspiration, and these were fellow COLers :) Outside meeting people who ask his name, I've had lots of nice responses - how unusual, what a great name for a dog & oooh I knew someone who had that surname!

I'm so glad it was Buckley & not Ziggy in the end :)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: How did you pick your Cocker's name?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »
Morgan came from Bristol just like some of my immediate ancestors. Family surnames from there are Parker, Stokes and Morgan.

Stokes didn't seem suitable, Mr H vetoed Parker as that was my maiden name and he thought it would be a bit daft giving that name to our new puppy (gosh, was that really 5 years ago already!) but we both thought Morgan was a great name for our boy.

With hindsight, should have called him Tigger as he's a very bouncy boy  :005:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
Interesting question.
Way before we got Riley, when we knew we were looking to get a cocker we sat and all mostly disagreed on names.
One day the name Riley just popped into my head. I kept playing the lightning seeds "Life of Riley" and knew for sure.  Both my son and hubby liked it, so that was that, it was chosen before we even seen him.

At the first visit at 5 weeks old I said to him Riley and he looked at me ,, aww lol.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »
After many months of thinking of getting a cocker we decided we were having a blue roan girl, she was going to be called bluebell shortened to bell.

Anyway we a bit naively went to view two litters of cockers, and instead of a blue roan girl came away having put a deposit on a red working cocker. There was something about her, best thing we ever did so her name quickly got changed to Bella.

Don't know how Molly got her name, think it was just throwing names and hubby felt comfortable yelling that on the park

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
Emily and Oliver were two of my favourite names, so if I'd had children I reckon they would have had them.  Pip was inspired by Pip in Great Expectations because I live in the village where Charles dickens lived, and so love the marshes where he walked and set the book.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
After much practice of calling different names from our shortlist, doing name survey at work etc, we just couldnt decide on a name and the day to get our furbaby fast aproaching my OH came up with the name Cupar after the town he was from , Cupar in Fife. His breader was delighted by our choice of name.  I wanted to call him Sandy which now  I think would have been very appropriate as hes always covered in sand as is my kitchen floor and car after his daily beach run .

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
I didn't get Nerys till she was 12 months, and she came with that name ~ I have no idea, apart from the fact we live in Wales!  I wouldn't have picked it myself, but it does suit her  :005:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »
I'm interested in names and what inspires them to be chosen........so, how did you come up with the name/s for your Cocker/s?  :shades:

Buckley was chosen as one of the dearest loves of my life has been Jeff & Tim Buckley. Particularly Jeff, his music has saved me more than once  :luv: :luv: :luv: I was going to pick Ziggy, cos Ziggy plays guitar...(actually, Ziggy Stardust aside I had a Springer called Zag as a child & wanted to carry on the love for him in the new Cocker pup)...but my OH said Buckley was perfect for everything it embodied about myself, and also who else calls their dog/pet Buckley? Literally only a couple of people have guessed the inspiration, and these were fellow COLers :) Outside meeting people who ask his name, I've had lots of nice responses - how unusual, what a great name for a dog & oooh I knew someone who had that surname!

I'm so glad it was Buckley & not Ziggy in the end :)

Such a fantastic name for a dog ;) :luv:

The vast majority of the dogs my close family have/have had in the past have names beginning with B, so I wanted to continue the tradition (there has been Bonnie, Blue, Bobby, Benji, Barney, Bliss, Brooke, Bria and finally Brodie :005:). I originally wanted to call her Bella but when I met her for the first time she didn't suit it - or any of the other names on my very long list of Bs >:(. I then decided on Brenna, as it was very unusual and that's what she came home as. But none of my family liked it and after a couple of hours I thought of Brodie, which is a beautiful little village near Nairn in Scotland. It suited her immediately :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »
Such a fantastic name for a dog ;) :luv:

The vast majority of the dogs my close family have/have had in the past have names beginning with B, so I wanted to continue the tradition (there has been Bonnie, Blue, Bobby, Benji, Barney, Bliss, Brooke, Bria and finally Brodie :005:). I originally wanted to call her Bella but when I met her for the first time she didn't suit it - or any of the other names on my very long list of Bs >:(. I then decided on Brenna, as it was very unusual and that's what she came home as. But none of my family liked it and after a couple of hours I thought of Brodie, which is a beautiful little village near Nairn in Scotland. It suited her immediately :luv:

:D :D :D

I really love Brodie, especially for a girl  :luv: Buckley's parents both had ''B names'' & one of the other boy pups was given the same name as their Dad, there was another pup with a ''B name'' but I can't remember what that was...before the puppies were seen and chosen, the breeder & her daughter had been calling the pups ''B names'' - IIRC Bucks was nicknamed Brogan....so quite a ''B tradition'' from Buckley's doggy family!
When I visited him and decided he was The One  :luv: his breeder asked if we had a name yet, and I said & she laughed as there was a Buckley connection in her family  :lol2: She spent the next week calling him ''Mister Buckley'' & he knew his name as soon as he came home :)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »
Pippa got her name from our first dog as a family who was there when I was born.  He was a JRT called Pip.  My mum had soppily named him after my dad (Philip).  He was completely untrained (the dog not my dad).  He would attack visitors to the house and the postman and once bit my dad badly on the hand.  He often escaped.  if it was a Sunday, he would run half a mile to my nanna's house to be fed roast dinner and crumble.  When I was born, my parents waited anxiously to see if Pip would accept the baby, knowing they would have to rehome if he didn't.  He was perfect.  My first word was "Pip" and he let me and later my sister do anything with him - dress him up, ride on him and generally plague his life out with never a growl.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
great idea for a thread :D

In recent years our family dogs have all been named after semi-precious stones - Gem, Ruby, Sapphire, Star, another Gem and Pearl.....It was a close call as she was very nearly called Opal or Coral  :005:

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
Rowan was the name I'd have chosen for a daughter but I've got two great big 6ft 3 sons and no girls. We wanted something different and it just suited her so well. Local kids always forget and keep asking and my mum/dad hate it and get mixed up calling her Roan because of her coat, but it's Rowan (Row=argue). They tell me they're just glad I never gave them a granddaughter if that's what a name I'd have landed her with  :lol:
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
When looking at cocker puppy images on the internet I came across several gorgeous pictures of a Black show girl called Molly.  Kept thinking about these pictures how lovely she was and so when we started to look for a puppy 'Mollie' it was (spelt differently)!!

OH was quite relieved as the children had originally wanted the name 'Bubbles' and OH insisted NO!  He said " I'm not calling 'Bubbles come here girl' across the park!!!!!!"  :005: :005: :005:

Does make us giggle when we picture it!!!

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
NCIS - always said after the episode with the sniffer dog, id call the next one Jethro. Did think he would get Gibbs as a nickname but apparently squiggle wiggle happened on its own  ph34r
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Salumba

• Our special girlie x
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
Hesta is French bred so all animals born in 2012 had have names beginning with an H . Her bred dear wanted to register her as Hosta didn't like it so we arranged to call her Hesta which means evening star & we have some beautiful night skies here in France so pretty apt name for our girlie .