Author Topic: How did you pick your Cocker's name?  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: How did you pick your Cocker's name?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »
I've mentioned this before so sorry to repeat for those who have heard it!  ph34r
I had a childhood obsession with Robin Hood and dreamed of owning my own cocker spaniel who I insisted would be called "Sherwood" When, many years later I finally got my very first blue roan boy there was nothing else I could call him. (You can see him in the photo comp memorial thread) All my cockers have had a Robin Hood connection ever since. My last one was Dickon (one of the lesser known merry men  ;)) and Archie's real name is Archer. Next one will probably be called Forest!!

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
Hope you've taken your RH-Cockers to Major Oak, Emma :)

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
Ours was not very imaginative way to name a dog, Charlie was the litter name his breeder had given him. I suggested Rufus but OH didn't like that :dunno:, sooo we stuck with Charlie.

A few years back I hoped we could adopt a girlie and call her Flora, but things changed in our lives and it has never happened.  :016: So we continue to love and treasure Charlie as an only dog. :luv:
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
Henry is named after out first dog. As it's a kingly name I thought it would be okay to use the same one again! So he's Henry II.

I was sitting in a café having lunch with my mum and sister talking about names (before we even found the litter) and my sister said "what about Henry again? - it's such a nice name for a blue roan cocker" and that was that - I agreed with her. I came home and suggested it to hubby and he said "fine!" I don't know where we got the idea for Henry the first time around in 1982, but we had considered Rowan (pronounced like Rowan Atkinson) - my maiden name was Atkinson, so we thought it would be quite funny, and also a play on the word Roan. In the end we didn't go with it and we chose Henry. The next dog was called Freddie and I think it's the best dog name ever, but there's no story to it, we just liked the name. Will call the next one that!! He gets called that by lots of my family anyway (by accident).

If we'd found a bitch we were going to call it Alice - I just think it's a lovely name. Maybe the next one will be little Alice instead of Freddie II!

Offline cjealing

• millie & me.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
Part of Millie's Kennel Club name is Malindra Silk, so We thought Mali but eventually stuck with Millie & it really suits her.. her Brother is called Baxter .... there father is called Stanley.. fantastic..
 :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:12 PM »
Hope you've taken your RH-Cockers to Major Oak, Emma :)

I've never even been to Nottingham!!! On my bucket list  ;)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
When I was about 14(many years ago :shades:) I used to work on the beach giving donkey rides. The donkey I was assigned to was called Honey, she had a honey hue to her and she was quite small so I usually had the little children. She was a little sweetie and I still have very fond memories of that summer. When we got our first little cocker I wanted to call her Honey, but I let my DD overrule me, and we called her Rosie. When we sadly lost her my family were more than happy to let me name our new little furbie Honey, and she is a sweetie too and the name really suits her. :luv:
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline helenb14

• Donator
  • Seve
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
Only one name was acceptable to my golf loving husband. Having mourned the loss of Seve Ballesteros a couple of months previously Seve it was, And actually it really suits him and easy to shout in the park. Although one somewhat deaf elderly gentleman kept calling 'Debbie' when he was hiding in some bushes!
Suppose it could've been worse shouting olazabal!

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
We didn't have a clue when we went to collect Tessa.  Her name at her breeders was Betty.  DH said NO WAY. Was he going to shout that in the park.  I actually quite liked it!!  The name Tessa came to us as soon as we met her.    Mind you she gets called a lot of other names as well.......
Tessa 

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
Firstly, Molly was our sort of wedding present to each other; we had always wanted a dog and agreed that once we were married then we would get a cocker. We were toying with names and talked about Molly, but I wasn't sure as its very common. But then we started going over links to our wedding/honeymoon and the place where we got married is known locally as 'the Molly B'; our surname begins with a B! So she is our own Molly B  :luv:

With Finley, even though we don't have children we always talk about what we would call them. I loved Finley for a boy but OH said he could never call his son Finley as it sounds too girly. So we came to a compromise that if we ever had a dog he would be called Finley. Turns out it completely suits him, as our little Finley is a total wuss  :005:
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
My favourite book is To Kill a Mockingbird. The children in the book are Jem and Scout. My brothers's dog is Scout, so when we were finding a pup we felt Jem was the obvious choice. Jem is a boy in the book, but we thought it sounded fine for a girl too 😄
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Both my girls had their names before we even found them!!  We had decided on a show type cocker as our first dog for family of 4 (kids were 9 & 13 so no babies or toddlers around).  We had been looking for a litter but had decided on black so was limiting our choice.  We were actually sat on a beach in Eastbourne whilst camping and not being able to decide on anything I decided to google Cocket Spaniel Names, well some were just horrendous but as I was reading random names fron the list I came across Jazz and everyone immediately said   yes so Jazz it was.  Literally a few days later we found a litter with 2 black girls remaining.  Choosing the pup was harder than the name :005: :005:

A year later I knew we were going to have pup number 2 and had my heart set on a golden.  I actually found this litter before they were born and was number 7 on the potential owners list :shades:  luckily for me the bitch had 7 pups and the 6 on the list before me had wanted 3 boys & 3 girls so I figured it was meant to be when the litter turned out to be 3 dogs & 4 bitches.  I loved the name Bailey and was quite prepared to have the last remaining bitch.  My first visit to the pups at 4.5 weeks and we were told by the breeder that she had withdrawn one of the girls from sale from the list as the owners were not suitable so this now meant again I had the choice of 2 (all the pups were golden).  Bailey eventually was chosen as she was a lighter shade of gold out of the 2 just like Baileys the drink :005:.  The breeder also called her Bailey from that day on and she knew her name when she came home.
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
We didn't have a clue when we went to collect Tessa.  Her name at her breeders was Betty.  DH said NO WAY. Was he going to shout that in the park.  I actually quite liked it!!  The name Tessa came to us as soon as we met her.    Mind you she gets called a lot of other names as well.......

Bailey was Betty before we renamed her as all the pups had royal nicknames :005: :005:
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline redlottie

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »
Just after we had put a deposit down for Otto we watched a tv programme where there was a lovely character in it called Otto and that's where he had his name from.

Albie was named after a character on only fools and horses that you never meet called albie littlewood, don't ask me why  :D

My next one will be called Wilbur after charlottes web  ;)

Offline Helly D

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 10:00:48 PM »
Our first cocker was Samuel as I just liked the name. When we had our second we were thinking of Daisy but she didn't look like a Daisy when we saw her so we called her Rosie, which definitely suits her.