Author Topic: How did you pick your Cocker's name?  (Read 6975 times)

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Re: How did you pick your Cocker's name?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
We were going to call ours Cassie, but when I saw her she didn't look like a Cassie. Driving home the name 'Tilly' popped into my head, we all liked that name and that's her name today.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »
My dogs all had names when I got them but I didn't like any of them. Tilly's a rescue and was called Bonnie; I'd considered Tilly or Tess for her and she just looked like a Tillydog. There was no particular rhyme or reason to the name, it's a lot more 'usual' than my normal taste in dog names but I've just always liked it and it really suits her.  

I got Rodaidh from his breeder at 6 months and he was being called Pickle which there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of me keeping and if there was ever a dog that really didn't suit that name anyway it's Ro. I like Gaelic names and he is a Scottish dog; Rodaidh is a diminutive form of Ruairidh which means 'red king' so he's the 'red prince' and it's perfect for him. I adore his name and I've never met another dog with the same one. I often get told he should be called Aslan though because he looks like a lion.

Caoimhe was called Maisie when I got her at 5 months and it's just not to my taste, it's too girly. I wanted another Gaelic name, Irish this time as I'm Irish, and Caoimhe is a fairly common girls' name in Ireland - I found one of the 'names' Coke bottles with it on when I went home in May and bought it so I could prove to people over here that it is a real name :lol2: I know of one other dog called Caoimhe and spelled correctly although I've seen a few Anglicised versions of it - Keeva, Keava, Kiva etc.

I have a huge list of names for future dogs, I still love the name Tess but other than that they're pretty much all Gaelic.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:30 PM »
SHE was going to be called Belle...then I saw Charlie's face, and she became he...and it just sort of felt right.

Incidentally all of my budgies have been called after cowboys...but I ran out of names, and went for singers...we currently have Ziggy. Ziggy is almost 10  :luv:
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
I wanted Bonnie to be Lillie in memory of our two previous dogs, Lizzy and Callie. But OH said he would feel daft shouting that-don't know why. He then came up with Ebony or Bonnie for short as we knew we wanted a black dog. I liked Ebony, he liked Bonnie. I liked Cockers, he wanted another Labrador so I chose the breed, he chose the name.

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »
As a beautiful Orange Roan boy, it had to be William (of Orange) of course. He follows in regal succession to George and before him Edward (Teddy)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:12 AM »
My first ever cocker girl was already named by her breeder, and as we loved the name we kept her as Lily.
My second girl was Freya....again named by the breeder as she was going to keep her to show.

Luis....first cocker I named myself was given a Spanish name because I believe cockers were first discovered in Spain.

Ollie was going to be Bertie.....but OH wanted him to be Oliver.

I wanted the name Gracie because i associate that name with a very beautiful and spirited little character I taught many years ago, and Mae (added on) to remember our beautiful Freya who had just died when we got Gracie.         
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Panda

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 06:27:12 AM »
Rolo is Rolo because his coat is the colour of the caramel inside a choc Rolo sweet and Molly is Molly because I wanted to call her Pansy but OH flatly refused - Molly has now become Molly Monster though! My next girl will be Pansy (by hook or by crook)!

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 07:35:10 AM »
Oh this thread is interesting :blink:
Ellie had her name when she came,
she was named after one of the sons
of her original owner, Elliot.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 07:59:51 AM »
On our way to look at our first litter the OH and I were having a 'conversation' about acceptable names with him going for Arsenal football players and I wanted a more irish/Scottish slant to it. In the end in pure exasperation I said well if we get a boy we will just have to call it fred and be done with it, his small buOH agreed and laughed as we were considering a bitch but once I had my trainer pee'd on and the lace chewed through I knew I was taking 'Fred' home with me.

Kooki came to me as Cookie (originally Holly), but the spelling just did not suit her, I do wish I had renamed her now as the name I have chosen for a girlie is Gertie (after my Gran) and it actually suits her..
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
Because he is a chocolate Worker we called our pooch Fudge - also because he is lovely and squishy and you can't resist him!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 08:45:08 AM »
My first Cocker was golden boy Josh, a bit of a compromise as I'd wanted to call him Dylan and OH had wanted something else (so long ago I can't remember) and Josh was what we both agreed on eventually. It suited him though. 2 years later his half brother came into our lives and was going to be Jamie, but somehow ended up as Sam.

William's name simply came into my head the first time I saw him as a very tiny pup. His breeder started calling him that and by the time he came home to me he knew his name and had a recall and sit to go with it. The name suits him so well as he's quite regal :luv:. I was able to choose his KC name as well and toyed with William of Orange but in the end went for Sweet William, after one of my favourite flowers. That suits him too as he's a very sweet natured boy.

I had a few names in mind when I went to meet 7 week old Louis. I like the name Harry but decided against it in case anyone thought my dogs were named after the Royal princes :005:. The other name at the top of my list was Casper, but he didn't look like a Casper so became Louis :luv:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
Jesse: his full name is Jesse James. Being an American cocker I wanted a typical American name. Can't get much more American than Jesse James I reckon.  :lol2:

Skye: she was only meant to be a foster. I just always loved the name Skye, and I always said that if I ever have a daughter or failing that a girl dog (which I never planned to have), I would call her Skye. So Skye it was and she ended up staying.  :luv:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
Jinleys KC name is Orinoco Flo, but when we bought her home, couldnt think what suited her.  Everything I came up with my OH said "he knew someone at school / work etc with that name and he never liked them!!

There were also some I came up with that I really liked that he said he wouldnt want to shout across a field (even though he never takes her for a walk!!) >:D >:(

Anyhow she was almost white when she came home but after a week or so was getting more and more ginger every day.  So it went from Ginger to Gingerly to Jinley.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
Kez, was to help us get over the death of our much loved daughter Kerry    :'(  ((nick name Kez)   It worked & we spoil & love Kez to bits :bigarmhug:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »
Oh Julie I didn't know that...
It's my sisters name too and we
call her....Kez :blink: