Author Topic: Is it normal?  (Read 923 times)

Offline YvonneC22

Is it normal?
« on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
Just a query for those who have more than 1 cocker.

We have had Oakley for over a week now, we have bought 2 of everything (toys etc) so they both have the same, yet they still both go for the same toy?!

Alex takes off Oakley and vice verser, then the rolling around and chashing each other starts.
Is this their form of playing?
They just constantly compete for the same toy?! Is it something that I need to watch? It's not possession on Alex's part i dont think as Oakley is just as bad!!

Plus they don't lie down with each other? They just roll round nibbling each others ears etc.

Am I expecting too much too soon?  :shades:

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
Completely normal - whatever one has the other one wants (regardless of whether they have exactly the same thing).  My boys are exactly like this.  Pip spends most evenings fixated on whatever Ollie has (or had), just waiting for the second that Ollie's not watching.  In which case he dashes in and nicks it  :005: And they don't lie down together - ever - but they play lots.  I know you see lots of pictures of cockers cuddled up together, but none of mine have ever done that.  All 3 sleep separately, unless they are particularly cold - and then they squash up on top of me.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
Thank you so much for that reply.
I was starting to worry that they dont get on!!  :005:

They certainly sleep when it's bedtime, they are that worn out.... They never stop!
I found Oakley trying to chew Alex's back leg this morning!  :005:

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
That sounds completely normal. My two chased one another round like mad things for about six months then it stopped. We used to put Bramble in her crate to rest at regular intervals. You need to practice a stern 'enough' and eventually they will respond.
In  terms of toys, if the competing starts to get a bit nasty then put them away and only get them out when you are going to play with them as it becomes learned behaviour.
My two don't snuggle up together.  I wish they would but they get on reasonably well so I can't ask for any more really. It is lovely with two but hard work to begin with.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »
Absolutely normal, dogs have no concept of sharing things or owning things either :D

Sounds like they're getting on really well. My two rarely play together and never sleep together. If Louis tries to get in the same bed as William he gets a reproachful look from William who then gets up and finds another bed :005:

Offline ruby n millies mum

• ruby and millies mum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
i have two girls, broke all the the rules and had them from same litter.....
they will play fight for anything and everything....toys to a leaf from the garden...they play tugging on bed blankets and they do get a bit loud with the growls . i tend to let them play fight but stop them if they start to sound as if they mean it,
not sure if thats correct or not but they sometimes curl up together to sleep

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »

Sounds like they're getting on really well. My two rarely play together and never sleep together. If Louis tries to get in the same bed as William he gets a reproachful look from William who then gets up and finds another bed :005:
Oakley tries to get into Alex's cage with him but Alex gives a looks as if to say "not a chance mate!"  :005: and goes and walks into Oakleys bed  ;)