Author Topic: Very worried we got a working cocker puppy - will we cope?  (Read 26435 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Re: Very worried we got a working cocker puppy - will we cope?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 01:40:34 PM »
Hi Miriam

I currently have 3 show line cockers & 1 worker who will be 1 tomorrow.

All my show lines have been very active & quite demanding I do agility with them & found that as long as they get mental stimulation as well as physical exercise they are fine, they have always been happy to have a good play time in the garden & being taught tricks & an off lead walk of between 30 mins to an hour.  I train them around twice a week at agility classes so they get loads of stimulation but they are happy if we can't manage it to stay at home in the garden & have a game if for what ever reason we cannot get them out on their walk, we do work from home so we are about most of the day.

So when I decided to get a worker this time I was concerned about the amount of drive they have & worried that some do not seem to be able to settle, as part of my work I see plenty of workers & their does seem to be this thinking they need loads of physical exercise & this sometimes can just build more stamina, they need as what has been said mental stimulation as well & this will complement physical exercise.

So here I am 10 months on from having a worker join our family & I can honestly say she has fitted in & adapted to our life style & the routines of play tricks & off lead exercise. Jaz is a very chilled well balance worker has a lovely on/off button loads of energy & drive but oh so happy to lie next to you whilst working. Once my work day has finished Jaz along with my show cockers run & find their toys asking me to play, I know a lot of people say you should not let them dictate but it's a routine & they know that once work time finishes it's their play or walk time.

I am sure you will be fine keep your routine flexible try not to fall into the trap that they need miles of physical exercise each day build the brain power with tricks & games mental stimulation is great builds a desire for being with you.
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack