Author Topic: Would your dog protect you?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Neil

Would your dog protect you?
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »
Bobby is the most friendly and least aggressive dog imaginable. Completely useless as a guard dog, he never barks if anyone comes to the door and would make friends with any burglar. I often wonder how he would react if I was threatened or attacked. My best guess is that he would be frightened and cower or hide away, but I really have no way of knowing.

Does anyone have any direct experience? If not, how do you think your dog would react?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Would your dog protect you?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:19:49 PM »
My first dog was a GSD, I had him 14 years and only heard him bark once, he'd welcome anyone into the house and was a real softy. However when my husband an I had a pillow fight once (this WAS a long time ago, :005: :005:), he was really alarmed and tried to get between us. A spaniel isn't a natural guard dog but nevertheless, if push came to shove, I think Bobby would have a go if anyone tried to physically harm you  (maybe!! :005:)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 10:27:01 PM »
my first staffie I believe would have laid down his life for me . No one could raise their voice or arms if he was about not even OH. He had a way to let you know  that you was about to cross the line.  I would walk him in places where I will not go with Gemma. He gave me that much confidence.
 Saying that, I had to have stitches in my  hand because I crept into the kitchen and caught him unawares and another time when he was sleeping in the kitchen I opened the oven door which squeaked, woke him up and he bit me on the bum ( no stitches required  :013:)

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »
I think Pippa, our cocker spaniel, probably wouldn't notice what was going on.  She lives in her own little world.  If she did notice, she would bark and egg the other dogs on if they were there while keeping well away from the action herself.

Our Irish setter cross, Amber, would definitely protect us.  We were cutting Barney's nails the other week and he hates it to the extent we have to muzzle him and it's a two person job.  He was making a bit of a fuss and Amber must have thought he was attacking us.  She was straight over to sort him out, poor boy.  I'm sure if anyone went for either of us, she wouldn't think twice.

I think Barney (basset fauve) and Joey (pointer) would wade in too, especially if Amber took the lead.  Joey on his own might not be quite so brave.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »
I am not sure if Dexter would protect me but he does look after me in another way. I am disabled and sometimes I forget this and fall over, Dexter runs to my aid and barks until I manage to get up or the other half comes to see what is wrong. We never trained him to do this but we have rewarded him every time now as it is useful to know if I have a really nasty fall he will try and help.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:11:08 AM »
I don't know about protecting me bit I have seen Murphy protect Millie. She was getting chased by a big black lab and was scared. Murphy got between them and made sure the lab got the message.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:34:27 AM »
Not a chance ... Ellie would run away
and leave me to my peril :005:
never mind... I am old enough and ugly
enough to look after myself!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 07:58:46 AM »
The love the old saying that Cockers are so friendly that they show the burglars where Vauables are 😄

I've no idea what Riley would do to be honest .

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 08:06:02 AM »
don't  think that mine would protect me from a human but Bailey will put himself between me and Milo if I am playing with him and he gets too carried away , I keep telling him I can look after myself but he get worried bless him
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:05:44 AM »
KEZ !!!    No way, she would fuss them to death & bring them "ducky"  :lol:
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline assumpta

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 09:25:18 AM »
Nope, mine would do a Scooby doo and get outta there and yes leave me to it :005:

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »
Ben would definitely, a few years back OH got into an argument with someone out walking as they couldn't get their dog under control and it was causing havoc.  The chap took a step towards OH and Ben ran round in front of us and just let rip, I was really surprised!

Harry is a different matter, I suspect he would lick them to death and think it was all a great game  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »
Not sure to be honest, but like to think they would.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
Not so sure about Hamish, but George would, OH only has to slightly raise his voice to me and George immediately goes on the defence barking and standing in between us. If another dog is scaring Hamish, when out on walk, he wil go and tell the other dog off, he is very protective of us  :luv:
If i have fallen over, both of them will make sure, that i am alright, by licking my face.
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
Oh Ollie would :luv: he even gets angry if his master teases his Mum and he doesn't like the look of it :005:, when OH is away Ollie has ears eyes wide open.

As I was once told by a chap who was out walking, you wouldn't creep up on you with that dog around.  He is different if hubby and I are out walking, but if it's just me and Ollie I am always cautious of whats around us, just in case he doesn't like the cut of who's about.  He sometimes doesn't bother -think its down to the person or dog.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed