Author Topic: Working And Show Cockers  (Read 10253 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 10:56:15 PM »
I think people do need to know there is a difference but both have equal qualities. I think people need to do research when buying a pup so they know what they are buying and I think your idea sounds great, it would be a good link as alot of people do ask the question  :)

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 11:28:23 PM »
Its the time to build a new site Gilly but hope to do in next few months anyway!! Ive got a business book that Im writing on the go too..

yes - it's all about research and education etc etc. Trouble is, so many people want a pup NOW and if someone has pups of a breed they want and will let them buy one there and then without sending them home to think and have a cool off (and the breeder to mull them over as I do) etc etc, then they buy the pup and then wonder a few months down the line why either it looks different or whatever and then they do their research and find out they havent bought what they thought they had.

It happens the other way around too - I had a novice gun come and see my Firebird show type pups and I asked him was it to be a pet only (didnt want any of them shown ) - no - he wanted a shooting dog.  maybe just maybe one of these pups might have been Ok for picking up, but I said that this was not the best choice for him and sent him away with some details of working liters that were on the go. Young lad - very nice, keen and sensible - would have been delighted to sell him a working pup if I had any at the time as he was in no hurry, was happy to view the pups without expecting to take home one that day..but - he could have been sold a potentially unsuitable pup by a cash orientated breeder..

Its amazing - with all the information (good and not so good) available, that people want a pup at the same speed as their broadband connection and arent prepared to really research or view litters that arent ready to leave the nest and wait all of a few weeks, months, whatever. I am bombarded with phone calls and emails at the moment with people looking for a pup. Of course they want one today and if I suggest that I get backto them with details of a litter that is coming up from another breeder, then, no, they dont want to wait..I waited 14 YEARS to finally get  my new lemon pup Juicy Lucy and had to pop over the border for her (although sire is Scottish  :P with my old breeding a few gens back). She was well worth the wait although has more tricks up her puppy legs than a bag of monkeys :lol:
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 11:38:14 PM »
I think Kirsten's idea is great too. I have thought about doing a FAQ on the differences between the show & working types here on COL but so far haven't found the time :) We should accept & explain the differences but not say that one type is superior to the other as what may suit one person's lifestyle & training abilities may not suit another's. As it is there are variations in type & temperament within the working strain just as there are in the show type - you can't stereotype Working Cockers and say they are all super intelligent or they are all mad & bouncing off the walls, just as you can't stereotype the show-type Cockers and say they are all a bit dim (though some probably are :lol:). In an ideal world, all puppy buyers would do their homework & all breeders would make sure their buyers understood what type of Cocker they were buying but sadly it's not an ideal world. One of our vets has just given a home to a Working Cocker who is now on his 3rd home as his past owners have not been able to cope with his energy levels but equally, show-type Cockers also end up being passed from pillar to post as some owners think they are getting an easy lap dog which no Cocker is :lol:

Jane
Jane

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 01:10:03 AM »
between us all on here we'll get there!! I have to say that this is this best forum I subscribe to for information and openness (sp?) with such a good array of topic discussion areas. In an ideal world, all potential owners should visit here first before buying their pup <_<
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 08:02:28 AM »
Very interesting stuff. Sally's Mum was a working cocker, she had quite a long body and a half docked tail, in fact she looked a bit like a springer. but upon looking through her pedigree she was most definately a full blown blue roan cocker but appeared more like a black and white cocker on the eye.

She was bred with a very dark blue roan show cocker (one of Jackie Maris Brays') who was naturally quite small.

As a result Sally is quite small and very good looking with a lovely smokey tinge to her coat (like she has been rolled over in coal). Her temperament is fantastic with people and kids, etc. I always say she is like a lap dog when indoors, very loving and affectionate and quite calm. But the minute the lead comes out she is a different dog!!! That's when the working side comes out in her. She is wild, constant sniffing and running around. She is obsessed with sticks and stones, loves water and swimming and could literally go walking all day long. We have regularly taken her on 15 mile walks and she is still chanting for more. I always look at her after a long walk and say, "you would go again wouldn't you" as she waddles away at me :) .

Whenever she is in the car with us and we even pass field's or say a lake she starts crying :rolleyes: . I must say we fell on our feet when we found her as I have to admit and say we were going in a bit blind at the time. But thank God, she is tailor made for us and our life style and perfect for us in every way. :)
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Penel

Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 11:00:41 AM »
accept & explain the differences but not say that one type is superior to the other as what may suit one person's lifestyle & training abilities may not suit another's. As it is there are variations in type & temperament within the working strain just as there are in the show type - you can't stereotype Working Cockers and say they are all super intelligent or they are all mad & bouncing off the walls, just as you can't stereotype the show-type Cockers and say they are all a bit dim (though some probably are ).

absolutely - having owned both - and two show strain cockers - there is a massive variation within each strain - of intelligence, energy levels, need for stimulation etc.  Obviously the working cockers do generally need more stimulation and physical exercise - but, in my eyes, the show strain cockers are far easier on the eye.  Don't get me wrong, I think the workers are lovely to look at - but they are nowhere near as beautiful as the show strain !  I'll try and get some "like for like" pics of my two girls standing side by side etc.

Offline Ulla R

• Site Member
    • http://ladysplits.tripod.com/
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 12:13:12 PM »
I've tried to explain the differences on my site (sorry if there are mistakes in spelling, I'm just a Finn :blink: ): http://ladysplits.tripod.com/id22.html
The show cocker part is unfinished.

Ulla

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 12:26:53 PM »
between us all on here we'll get there!! I have to say that this is this best forum I subscribe to for information and openness (sp?) with such a good array of topic discussion areas. In an ideal world, all potential owners should visit here first before buying their pup <_<
[snapback]140246[/snapback]

Thanks for your posts workingcockers - it's great to have someone with knowledge of the strain to offer their opinion.  We were given a thorough explanantion of the differences by our breeder and for us a working cocker was a positive choice.  

I am glad we asked lots of questions too as I have to say this forum archives has some posts that are not very positive about working cockers as a pet.  I would advise any potential owner to ask about "wiring" in the genes as you have suggested.

I'd forgotton that photobucket offer the public album - so here are some pics of Jed - http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1672960 - hope it works.

I think there are also a lot of variances with working cocker looks - Jed is closely related to Miss_Poohs dogs - Vahri and Rufus - you can see the resemblances - they all seem to have quite long ears for working cockers.
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 12:31:56 PM »
I've tried to explain the differences on my site (sorry if there are mistakes in spelling, I'm just a Finn :blink: ): http://ladysplits.tripod.com/id22.html
The show cocker part is unfinished.

Ulla
[snapback]140284[/snapback]
Lovely pictures Ulla.
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 09:45:22 AM »
Many people on this site have said that you shouldn't have working cockers as a pet.  I am afraid that I disagree with this.  Although Oscar does have a lot of energy there is no way in the world that I would change him.  I love to see him running around all the time and enjoying himself.  He is very loyal and affectionate and makes a great pet.  If I were to get another cocker, I would get another working cocker.

Offline PennyB

Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 12:56:43 PM »
Many people on this site have said that you shouldn't have working cockers as a pet.  I am afraid that I disagree with this.
[snapback]140376[/snapback]

I don't think they've actually said it like that but really want to make sure that people know what they may be taking on. I don't think a working cocker would suit your person who only takes their dog for a quick walk round the block twice a day sort of home but would suit a pet home who is willing to do more with their pets. Sadly there is in some a sort of kudos in that they think its really cool in getting a working strain of any dog without looking into it 1st.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2005, 01:25:18 PM »
I don't think anyone here has ever discouraged anyone from getting a worker. It's more due to the fact wether they are suitable for that persons lifestyle. Also it has become clear that some people don't know the difference, therefore aren't actually aware what type of cocker they have and be able to train to that type of cockers needs.
I can think of 2 members within the last month that have cockers and didn't actually know they were workers until they looked at the pedigree. It is about education, not one against the other. It's about giving people all the relevant information so they can make an informed choice about what suits them best.

Offline Emma&Harry

• Site Member
  • Avatar disabled by Pammy until it is resized ;)
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 01:35:12 PM »
Harry is mad, very intelligent and fast becoming a lap dog!! if you were to see him snuggling up to all visitors you probably would question his working blood lines!!!

i agree that a working cocker wouldnt be for everyone, we spend lots of time with harry who will require continual training to ensure that he stays fit and happy. and beware tha odd days when you cant spent the time you would like too....

in my eyes harry is the most good looking boy ever - more gorgeous than any other working or show cocker, with a shiny golden coat and little brown nose  - but then i would say that!!  though i agree he looks very little like the cocker breed standard - works hard though!
xx my working cocker works very hard at being a lap dog xx

Acorah

Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005, 06:54:40 PM »
Like someone on here mentioned in a few posts before, not all of us knew we had working cocker lines ;) I certainly didn't until I asked what FTCH stood for :D

Oh well, Acorah is so bouncy, hes always full of beans, right from morning til night. When Im tired, he comes and nuzzles next to me and instantly I know what he wants. He wants to go for a nice long walk. So when the kids are in bed, I take him out for an hour long walk in the woods not far from where I live. Im not brave enough to let him run loose yet but soon, very soon.

I think now having a cocker with working lines in, Id chose another exactly the same time and time again. I love the fact Acorah isnt scared to get dirty (although sometimes i wish he'd stay clean longer than 5 mins!) He loves nothnig more than a good roll in the dirt  :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2005, 08:26:37 PM »
I take him out for an hour long walk in the woods not far from where I live.

Sorry, off-topic, but isn't Acorah still quite young? You might want to have a look here for advise on protecting him from future health problems caused by over-exercising now  :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club