Author Topic: Working And Show Cockers  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »
I love the fact Acorah isnt scared to get dirty (although sometimes i wish he'd stay clean longer than 5 mins!) He loves nothnig more than a good roll in the dirt  :lol:
[snapback]140451[/snapback]
Don't think that's something confined to Working Cockers - our show-type Cockers are never happier than when they are tramping in the woods, rolling in fox poo or digging the deepest, muddiest holes they can ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Jessie

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2005, 09:03:31 PM »
Jess likes nothing better than a good roll in fox poo!  Not so much the "Princess" then! :P

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »
too true Jane - my worst offender for sinking into a stinky glory hole of water and mud with a look of pure pleasure on her face is one golden show type. I ended up buying an old van for taking the dogs out as she and the setter get filthy - use old bedding and towels that I can throw out after for lining the floor !! The others prefer to swim in the pond - must get some weird pleasure from beng chased by the swans ..
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 03:33:08 PM »
Many people on this site have said that you shouldn't have working cockers as a pet.  I am afraid that I disagree with this.
[snapback]140376[/snapback]

I don't think they've actually said it like that but really want to make sure that people know what they may be taking on.
[snapback]140404[/snapback]

Here is a thread where a poster says that - http://cockersonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=4316
Fortunately another poster steps in to be more positive...    :D
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 04:38:13 PM »
Ah yes I remember that thread :D Fortunately it was over a year ago, and we've got a lot more members these days who own working cockers and can balance out any discussions on them :)

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 04:45:56 PM »
Ah yes I remember that thread :D Fortunately it was over a year ago, and we've got a lot more members these days who own working cockers and can balance out any discussions on them :)
[snapback]140639[/snapback]

Yes Mike - I was very grateful at the time to read your contributions to the thread  :)  
We had only just got Jed (making what we thought had been an informed choice after discussions with our breeder) and I wondered from the thread what our pup was going to grow into!  ;)

I was too nervous as a Newbie to ask any questions for fear someone would tell me off for having a worker as a family pet!  :lol:

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 08:27:08 PM »
[snapback]140639[/snapback]

Yes Mike - I was very grateful at the time to read your contributions to the thread  :)  
We had only just got Jed (making what we thought had been an informed choice after discussions with our breeder) and I wondered from the thread what our pup was going to grow into!  ;)

I was too nervous as a Newbie to ask any questions for fear someone would tell me off for having a worker as a family pet!  :lol:
[snapback]140641[/snapback]

Don't think anyone here would want to " tell you off " If you made an informed decision then why would we? You are obviously happy with Jed which is great :) Don't mean to single you out but you were the last to post :)

There is space here for all opinions :)  we won't all agree all of the time but that's life :)

The most important thing is our dogs...as long as we all feel we are doing all we can for them, looking after them well, feeding them well and excercising them well, then that's all that matters really whether they be working or show strain...

Tracey :)
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2005, 12:27:10 AM »
Don't think anyone here would want to " tell you off " If you made an informed decision then why would we? You are obviously happy with Jed which is great :) Don't mean to single you out but you were the last to post :)
[snapback]140701[/snapback]

Yeah well "singling out" is the point I was making - again thanks are due to Mike, Workingcockers and others who have made Cockersonline more working cocker friendly...  :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2005, 09:24:30 AM »
I really can't see that anyone has been singled out in either this thread or the old thread. Several of the posters on the old thread were actually Working Cocker owners, even if their views don't necessarily correspond with other more recent members - such is life ;) This was such a good discussion, please can we keep it that way :)

Jane
Jane

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2005, 09:24:58 AM »
Fair comment Babylonian :)

Wrong choice of words by me... I was reponding to you directly and also trying to add something to the thread :)

I suggest you read through my post again and try to accept it in the spirit it which it was was sent...with kindness and consideration for peoples feelings :)

I love all dogs and I would never critisize anyones decision to choose one breed or strain over another or " tell someone off " that's the point I was trying to get across, that is why the post was directed at you.

I wish you all well with our beloved breed....whichever strain they are from :)

Tracey

http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2005, 09:37:21 AM »
Thanks tracey  :)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2005, 09:35:24 AM »
Can I just add that as we have 2 working Cockers we sometimes do compare the two, and believe me they are like chalk and cheese.

Vahri is quiet and a bit shy, but very well behaved - Ruffy on the other hand is completely nuts and fearless, but very, very smart.

We love them both dearly though, and they keep you on your toes (at all times  :blink: ).

Now I'm off to read through this thread throughly - it looks really interesting.

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2005, 04:32:46 PM »
I think the above makes the point that it is impossible to generalise...and that whatever type you go for you have to see the dam and other family members in order to forcast how your pup may possibly turn out.

One of my  Nov 04 pups that was reserved for explosives work has been rejected after assessment. She is super intelligent - fantastic nose, one of my better retrievers, steady and obedient, been working on a harness to go into noisy and strange places with me in preparation for assessment - all the things the handler wanted BUT - too laid back - not enough go in her. )Her dam is very quiet - you never know she is there , her sire is a normal easy going dog.) Now - that may be partly because of the lines I breed and partly the way I have raised her in not actively encouraging boisterous behaviour. I dont know. I dont over exercise my youngsters as I am phobic about premature wear on joints but they get plenty of fresh air in the run during the day which seems to tire them...The handler is away to assess a springer that is bouncing off the walls so I suspect she will be taken on. The handler is a lovely guy and experienced with springers and labs. The cocker I think would have been an asset because if the handy size of checking out vehicles.. Still - it's a shame as I think had she been suitable she would have had a fantastic life and treated so well as they are such a scarce resource, but I think I will have to put a stick of dynamite up her proverbial as she will now have to settle for a less glamorous life style as a member of my shooting team..
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Penel

Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2005, 04:49:23 PM »
Hattie's breeder breeds working springers, cockers and labs for explosives dogs - he trains them, and sells them on - or also trains the handlers on how to train the dogs  :)  they get a great active life - and are in huge demand by the airports, army and police.  Its wonderful that dogs' noses can still do what technology can not  :)

Offline Lottie

• Site Member
  • Wellington Spanacle
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2005, 06:59:33 PM »
What an interesting thread. Out Welly is probably a show lines cocker, but as a rescue case we don not have any papers.  We also have a golden retriever and a black lab, tha latter being a gundog strain rather than show lines strain.

Welly is very interested in what the lab does and loves retrieving, hunting in the long grass and his favourite is 'go back' where we drop something and he has to follow our scent back to the dummy or toy.  I am not convinced that if we were not gundog type people that we would have done this type of play with him so we would never have known - so my point is there is a hefty does of 'nature' and another of 'nurture'.

Having said that, our working black lab is so very different from the show line labs - she would rather retrieve than eat any day of the week  :blink: