Author Topic: Working And Show Cockers  (Read 10252 times)

Offline k

• Site Member
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2005, 11:06:40 PM »
I was the poster on the thread referred to earlier as I was trying to get as much info on the working cocker as opposed to the show type.I really liked the look of the working strain and also liked lots more traits of this type.However  I did feel at the time that generally people thought a working cocker was not really suitable as a family pet but having read the positive comments from those who owned them I decided to go for a worker and am I glad I did. Bramble is a brilliant dog and I would reommend them as a family pet providing walking it is not a problem.Bramble is as active as our family is but when everyone is settled so is he.

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2005, 06:37:41 PM »
I would reommend them as a family pet providing walking it is not a problem.Bramble is as active as our family is but when everyone is settled so is he.
[snapback]141419[/snapback]

That's good to hear - we have the same experience with Jed.  We also don't have  a car  :o  so walkies are mandatory for the whole house  :D
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Working And Show Cockers
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2005, 10:45:37 AM »
we have spent years deliberating about what kind of dog we wanted...and in the end it had to be a working cocker.  we knew what we were getting ourselves into, we have friends who have working cockers and they need a LOT of stimulation and exercise.  we got our puppy 2 weeks ago (he is 10 weeks now, and recovering downstairs from second vacc - just sulking really and sleeping)  he is everything we expected and more!  the 'more' is that he is incredibly affectionate and loving, he is brighter than i ever imagined and he is already completely receptive to training...and very very fast.  he has ordinary play most of the day, except for a manic 1/2 hour which is exhausting just to watch...he sleeps well, he is well on the way to complete housetraining already, and we are fully aware of the amount of work and time we need to put in! Already he is so rewarding and i wouldn't swap him for anything!

we knew exactly what we were getting into, and only went to a working cocker breeder  - i am surprised breeders aren't more open about working cockers??  that's really surprised me...almost false advertising?

helen & jarvis x