Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 11824 times)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sad News
« on: November 10, 2005, 01:15:37 PM »
Sorry, I have not been on for a while, but I had decisions to make that might have been clouded had I been coming on here as regularly as I was.

As of last night, Sophie is no longer living with us.  :(  

I had a visit from my Housing Officer on Monday to say that complaints had been received about the dogs barking and I was being given time to "sort the problem".  :ph34r:   I knew it was coming, as I had received a few snide comments from a couple of neighbours in the past few weeks.

Anyone that has been on COL for a while will know the saga of Sophie and her Separation Anxiety and the difficulties I have encountered in trying to get her to relax when I am either not in the house, or indeed in the room.

I have tried every possible measure and after getting Beau, she did seem to pick up and there were periods where she could be crated and be ok, not great, but quietish.  But, eventually she would start howling, then Beau would join in too.  She was not interested in Beau when I was not in the house.

For the last 2-3 weeks, I have hardly left them in the house alone at any point apart from when I am at work in the morning.  I have cancelled shopping, parents evenings, all sorts - just because I couldn't risk them barking when I was out.  So if Paul was not able to stay in the house with them, then I did.  Paul is only 12, and he is hardly ever in, he is always out with his pals, and I can't expect him to stay in just to keep Sophie quiet.

That's not right, and you can't live your life like that, and in the long run was just making matters worse as they had someone there 24/7.  

I went to see my breeder friend that I got Sophie and Beau from last night to tell her what has happened and it was one of the hardest conversations I have ever had to take part in.  I love my Sophie, but I was worried sick about the damage that she may be doing to her heart in the long run with getting herself worked up into a frenzy day after day.  So my friend took her back, to the house where she lived for the first 5.5yrs of her life.  

So, I still have Beau until Sunday, to see how he will cope on his own, but I am not holding my breath as he has always lived with other dogs too and he is now 10mths old.

I am off work today, I just couldn't face it after being in tears most of last night.  I feel so guilty that things didn't work out, but I don't know what else I could have done - Sophie needed an "emotional crutch" with her all day every day, and I can't give her that, no matter how much I wanted to.

Sorry this is such a long posting, and I am sure there will be many negative comments at what I have done, and may still have to do with Beau, but I was making myself ill worrying about it every time I wanted to step outside the front door, and a decision had to be made for all our sakes.  :(
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline ali-c

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 01:19:40 PM »
Oh Aileen I'm so sorry to hear this  :(  :(
Sophie and Beau are gorgeous dogs and you've given them a wonderful home over the last few months, you must be gutted.
I'm thinking of you all at this time x
Alison, lovely Poppy  and Inka (Dalmatian)

Offline Em - Oscar's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Sad News
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 01:24:14 PM »
So sorry to hear of your news.  I just hope it works out for you and Beau.  Please let us know.
Thinking of you.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Sad News
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 01:25:37 PM »
sorry to hear about your sad news  :(
i hope everythink works out 4 you and the doggies

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
Sad News
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 01:28:25 PM »
Oh Aileen, you poor thing...
I am sure that was the hardest decision you have ever had to make, and for what it is worth, I think it was the right one for you!   You gave Sophie a lovely home and tried everything you could to get her to settle and sort the SA.

Surely the stress of the situation with your neighbours, and being confined to 'house arrest' must have made you stressed and unhappy, and you have to do what is right for you as well as the dog!  (Sophie may have picked up on your anxiety over the situation and that would not make her happy either...)

Good luck with Beau, am here if you need to talk....

Petra

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
Sad News
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 01:35:21 PM »
You've only done what's right for you and your dogs.  I'm proud of you making such a hard decision.  I hope everything works out with Beau too.  (((Hugs))) to you all xx
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sad News
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 02:04:26 PM »
Surely the stress of the situation with your neighbours, and being confined to 'house arrest' must have made you stressed and unhappy, and you have to do what is right for you as well as the dog! (Sophie may have picked up on your anxiety over the situation and that would not make her happy either...)

Good luck with Beau, am here if you need to talk....

Thanks very much for that, only another doggie person can understand how hard this has been!

I was getting myself totally stressed out about it.  I think I knew deep down that things were not working out, but I didn't want it to be true.  :(

I am only 33 (just!) and the thought of "house arrest" was not appealing at all!  Especially when your 12yr old son comes and goes when he pleases, but I was scared to leave for more than 30mins at a time!  :unsure:
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Sad News
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 02:34:23 PM »
I'm sorry to hear your news  :( I hope Beau can cope by himself and I am sure that Sophie will be fine, not any words of great consolation I know. I just hope everything works out Ok for you.

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Sad News
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 03:14:32 PM »
It sounds like you have made the most sensible decision - putting your dogs first which is what every loving doggie person does.

Well done for doing what must have been a really hard thing to do.

Rachel xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 03:43:53 PM »
I know exactly where you're coming from as I'm in a similar situation with Norris who I rescued 3 months ago. He howls and cries and barks even if we are in the next room and he can see us through the baby gate.. We have gone against all our house rules about dogs in the bedroom as it's the only way we can get some sleep.When he's with us,  and I mean in the same room (or if it's his choice in the hallway etc) he's perfect, but if for any reason we have to move him to a room away from us he really creates.This week it's a nightmare as we've got a joiner in changing all the doors, so of course for safety, I've had to confine the dogs in the conservatory. His whinging and crying is driving us mad, I don't know what the poor joiner thinks. I'm spending every afternoon at the park to give him a break but the weather's awful.......of course.

All I can say is don't beat yourself up. You tried, things don't always work out. Good luck with Beau....

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 04:15:15 PM »
Sorry to hear your news, i hope things work better now.

Don't beat yourself up about this, its sad, but it sounds like it was the irght decision.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 04:26:55 PM »
Ohh Aileen ...please dont be so hard on yourself  :( ...we all know how hard you worked to try and help Sophie  ;) ...she has had a loving home with you, but it wouldnt do her any good in the long run to get so upset when you are away.  She really needs a home where someone is home all day  ;)

Hope Beau settles with you and you can keep him  ;) ...thinking of you and sending lots of luv  ;) xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 04:34:07 PM »
Oh Aileen, what a difficult decision you've had to make :( .  Don't beat yourself up about it, you seemed to be in such an impossible situation.  I hope Beau settles ok, fingers crossed.

Thinking of you. x
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
Sad News
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 04:41:45 PM »
Aileen , I am so sorry I know how much you loved them,
i feel as though i have been part of the story from beau coming, i am so sad for you, please stay with us on COL,
love paul
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Sad News
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 04:55:30 PM »
Aileen, I am so sorry  :(  I defy anyone to post a negative post because we know how hard you have worked to make this work and how dedicated you have been towards both Sophie and Beau.

Keeping everything crossed things work out with Beau.

Thinking of you xx
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx