Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 11826 times)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 05:12:42 PM »
Oh Aileen, how awful for you, I am praying that Beau is OK on his own :(
You made the right choice, but poor you :(

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline isla

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 05:13:43 PM »
So sorry for you Aileen. What an awful decision to make. You have really tried your best with her and I'm sure she will miss you but settle into her new life.

Really hope things with Beau work out  :)

Sure you will find no criticism here just sympathy at having to make a heart breaking decision. Keep us posted with Beau's progress.

Thinking about you

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »
Ohh Aileen I really feel you, what a tough decision to have to make.

I really hope things work out with Beau - although I know it's Sophie you're missing.

Please don't be so hard on yourself, you know all us doggie are here if you need an ear.

Take care

Jx

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sad News
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments - you don't know how much they are appreciated.  :(

I know that Sophie is only 3 miles along the road, but she might as well be on the moon to me! I won't want to see her next time I visit as it will be too hard for her & me.

Going back to work tomorrow, I only work til 1pm anyway, so by then I will know if Beau is going to go off on one or not.  He is used to this house now, and if he freaks out, I will know straight away that it is not going to work out.  He has never been left on his own in here, & it is not fair to expect him to lose all his doggy companions too just to keep us happy.

So I will just need to see what happens tomorrow.
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Sad News
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 05:18:50 PM »
I'm sorry to hear things haven't worked out with Sophie :(
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 05:19:52 PM »
Oh god, what a nightmare you've had - well done for making an incredibly tough decision & doing what was right for you and the dog/s. Thinking of you at what must be a heartwrenching time.
 :(
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Rhona

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 05:22:52 PM »
What a terribly difficult decision to make.  I really do feel so sorry for you.

I hope everything works out okay with Beau.
Rhona and Sam

Offline Emma&Harry

• Site Member
  • Avatar disabled by Pammy until it is resized ;)
Sad News
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 05:47:06 PM »
Really sorry to hear about this, but well done on making such a tough decision.
xx my working cocker works very hard at being a lap dog xx

Offline Annabella

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 05:54:14 PM »
i am so sorry to hear that you had to let sophie go. i have my fingers crossed that beau settles into his new routine.

thinking of you

anna xoxo

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Sad News
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 06:10:50 PM »
I'm so sorry Aileen, I don't understand how anyone could post negative comments about such a hard decision  <_<  - if they do they cannot be a true dog lover IMO  :(

I know that you have made this decision in the best interests of Sophie; I have been in awe of the efforts you have gone to, to help her become settled and happy - and I know you will continue to make the right decisons for Beau, as well, no matter how difficult they are for you  :)  I hope he settles into his new routine -  :angry:  to your neighbours for being so impatient  :angry:

to you - its horrid when we have to make decisons for the good of your pets that leave us feeling so unhappy
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
Sad News
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 06:38:45 PM »
very sorry to hear the news :( its a  hard decision, hope everything works out :)
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 06:42:14 PM »
I was very sorry to read about your sad decision with Sophie & Beau Aileen. :(

Unfortunately you were in a no-win situation & you have made the only possible decision that you could have made in the circumstances hard though it was. :wub:

I think you have been very courageous. :)  :)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 06:44:56 PM »
This is to tiggerbabe for Beau and also to GlynisT - this is what I did to stop separation anxiety from being a problem with the neighbours when I went out.

Fletcher was rehomed from a back yard breeder aged nearly 4.  She had a couple of old x-breeds who lived inside, but all her cockers were outside in the garden - apart from Fletch.  It was clear when I got him home why he was not in the garden and why she was rehoming him (apart from the fact he has no interest in females) - he can howl for hours non-stop.

He was my only dog when I rehomed him, but had lived all his life with others.  For the first few days, he howled for ages (according to my very nice neighbours).

Instead of doing the 'ignoring stuff when you leave' that books recommend, I did the opposite.  I told him I was going to work, looked very sad about it and waved him goodbye, saying 'bye'  and waving in a sad voice as I went out - I spent a few minutes doing this.  After 3 days, it worked completely, he didn't howl at all (neighbours again!) and it continues to work after 3 years.  3 years on, the waving and say 'bye' works - I don't even have to look so sad!

It's not sorted his separation anxiety, as he still howls if I go out to the car without going through our little routine and he still hates me shutting the bathroom door  :blink: , but it has solved all the going out and leaving him problem.

Since rehoming Fletch, I'm had a few other rescue cockers - one in particular was supposed to have severe separation anxiety.  They all have got my leaving routine very quickly and all dogs have been OK with being left for a few hours - the one with the 'severe' case' was fine after 1 day!.

I hope this helps.  It has really worked for Fletch and he can still howl for England if he's behind the gate and I go to speak to my neighbour in view 3 yards away....., but I can leave him and the other 2  for hours in the house without a howl, or him on his own, alone.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Sad News
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 07:22:37 PM »
I really feel for you having to make such a hard decisian.  Please don't worry about what others think - you know you have done what is right for both you and your dogs.  I only wish everyone would be brave and caring enough to put their dogs first.

keeping my fingers crossed for you and Beau - but whatever the outcome don't be hard on yourself, you have proved how much you love your dogs and sometimes love alone is not enough to solve a problem.

take care :)   I am sure we are all thinking of you

Ben's mum

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 07:45:10 PM »
:( Aileen, i'm so sorry things have come to this, I know how desperatly you have tried to get Sophie settled.  I don't know what else to say, speechless really :(   Sending you lots of hugs and support, please don't be a stranger to COL xxxx