Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 11861 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Sad News
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2005, 09:09:17 PM »
Its great to hear such positive news, Aileen - it will help you relax and settle Beau into his new routine over the weekend all set for a good week next week  :)  :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2005, 09:22:16 PM »
:D Well done Beau, I hope it carries on like this for you Aileen, fingers crossed.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Sad News
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2005, 09:41:59 PM »
Great news.  Long may it continue.  Everything still crossed here.  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2005, 09:45:33 PM »
Excellent news Aileen I'm so happy for you, I'm sure Beau will be fine  :D
Nicola, Grace & Paddy xxx

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Sad News
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2005, 09:57:36 PM »
Aileen, I have just seen this thread and Im just so sorry that you had to let Sophie go.

It must have broken your heart as I know how hard you have worked on her SA but at the end of the day you have made the right decision so keep hold of that and dont give yourself a hard time.

I really hope that things work out with Beau. I know that you work hard at giving your dogs the life they deserve and Im sure if anyone can make it work with Beau, you can.

Everything crossed and best of luck
Caroline and Alfie

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »
I admire you for trying so hard and letting go when you had exhausted all possibilities.  I feel for you as i had to rehome my golden retriever about 13 years ago.  I found myself a single parent with a new born as my partner left before Becky was born, no job, no car and a large hyper dog that I couldn't cope with.  I too tried my best but had to find (in my opinion) an excellent new family for him.  I remember that awful empty, painful feeling that left me on the floor unable to cry anymore.  But, I realised that I had done the right thing when the new family sent letters and pictures.  I now have no regrets and I'm sure you will get there too.  

Beau sounds as though he is with you to stay and I hope you have a great relationship with him.

'Good Luck' and please don't feel bad.

Offline loubylou

• Site Member
    • http://
Sad News
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2005, 10:34:37 PM »
Glad Beau had a good night Aileen it sounds like he may settle down OK  :)

At least you and Beau can settle over the weekend. He is still only a pup so he'll probably just get on with it.  :D

Rusty is great at night and when i go out shopping in the day but if I'm in the house and he can't see me he goes frantic howling and crying then he wees and poos everywhere :(
I know its because he just wants to be with me but it's hard work.
I believe you have done the right thing by sophie and you must give Beau a chance otherwise you would never forgive yourself.

Keep us posted over the weekend.

Thinking of you
  :wub:

with love from Lou and Rusty

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2005, 10:41:28 PM »
I don't know anything of the past history of  Sophie and Beau, but, IME, dogs are affected by other dogs.  My dogs bark because Pip barks - even my 16 yo rescue yorkie joins in - she joined in after 2 months and is now a very active member.

Give Beau some time before you make a decision.  

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sad News
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2005, 05:05:13 PM »
Well, today was Braehead day - massive window shopping session planned to keep up the being out of the house for a couple of hours caper!  :)

Paul away at his mates, so I got glammed up and headed off on my own.

When I got there it took 25 mins to park the car due to the THOUSANDS of Crimbo shoppers, but I thought, "No, I am not getting stressed out today"

Came home empty handed (and very proud of myself for being so considering I have not been shopping for weeks!) and with a happy heart.  :D

Until I got out of the car.   :ph34r:

The hound of the Baskervilles has taken up residence in my house in the body of Beau.   :angry:

MP3 recording confirms that he started howling within 11 mins of me leaving and then continued until the recording ran out 2hrs later - and was still going when I got home 1hr after that.  :angry:    

I am getting so fed up with the whole up and down stress levels now - will see what happens tomorrow when I go out, but it is not looking good.  He has the howling idea in his head now.  :unsure:
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
Sad News
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2005, 05:06:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about sophie, I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you, hope all goes well with beau.  

Lots of cocker hugs from Taliska and Jurra (extra special one from Tali attached)

Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2005, 05:12:52 PM »
Awww, no. Damn. :(

A thought - is he crated, Aileen? Ham goes nuts if he is, we leave him in one room now, and he doesn't brak.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2005, 05:14:13 PM »
My thoughts were a bit more colourful than that Shona  :rolleyes:

Thankyou for the lovely tigger pic, cheered me up a bit!
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2005, 05:16:34 PM »
He is crated Shona, always has been since leaving his Mum.

He was crated yesterday when he was ok that is what is puzzling me!

He pees everywhere so that is why I am reluctant to let him have a room to be in, my carpets are already ruined with Sophie's "gifts" before she was crated with Beau!
Aileen & Beau xx

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2005, 05:16:41 PM »
Well, today was Braehead day - massive window shopping session planned to keep up the being out of the house for a couple of hours caper!  :)

Paul away at his mates, so I got glammed up and headed off on my own.

When I got there it took 25 mins to park the car due to the THOUSANDS of Crimbo shoppers, but I thought, "No, I am not getting stressed out today"

Came home empty handed (and very proud of myself for being so considering I have not been shopping for weeks!) and with a happy heart.  :D

Until I got out of the car.   :ph34r:

The hound of the Baskervilles has taken up residence in my house in the body of Beau.   :angry:

MP3 recording confirms that he started howling within 11 mins of me leaving and then continued until the recording ran out 2hrs later - and was still going when I got home 1hr after that.  :angry:   

I am getting so fed up with the whole up and down stress levels now - will see what happens tomorrow when I go out, but it is not looking good.  He has the howling idea in his head now.  :unsure:
[snapback]159731[/snapback]
Oh you poor thing.  I haven't followed your story right from the start but I really feel for you.  Have you tried a DAP diffuser?  The vet recommended one for stress (that's Beau not you - yours would be a large glass of wine).

It is supposed to calm them and be useful for separation anxiety.  I bought one for Ben's barking in the morning.  It's a bit hit and miss but I'll try anything. Looking at the instructions it takes between 1 and 3 months depending on the problem .............. you may have tried one but it's just a thought.

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »
Unfortunately I am sure that I must have shares in DAP by now!  :(

I have a large open plan kitchen/living/dining room so I would need about 3 or 4 diffusers going at once to have any effect, and at £15 a refill, maybe not!

They had NO effect on Sophie whatsoever anyway - even after using them for about 3mths.

I use the DAP spray on the bedding in the crate, and it did seem to work with Sophie for a while, but as with everything else, only lasted for a while then it was useless.  At £17 a bottle, it is quite costly too, but seems to last a lot longer as you are only using it when you go out and not all the time.  

Sophie was also on Skullcap & Valerian tablets for about a month, but they did nothing either.  She also had Bach rescue remedy in her crate drinking water - so now you can get the idea as to how worked up she was getting - all those so called "remedies" and she was still a nervous wreck when I went out!

Beau, being in the same crate as Sophie, was also getting the benefit of the DAP spray, and I have just continued that with him on his own - but it clearly had no effect on him today whatsoever!
Aileen & Beau xx