Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 11871 times)

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Sad News
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2005, 06:33:09 PM »
Just caught up with this.
So sorry to hear that sophie has had to go back to her breeder :( It is obvious that you did everything that you could to ease her anxiety.
I thought things were going well with Beau till i read this :unsure: Does he howl all the time or does he bark too? Just wondered if the aboistop anti bark collar was worth a try? I have a friend whose dog was barking when she was not at home and the collar seems to have worked, no more barking at all. I have never used them but maybe worth a try. Just looked on ebay and there are lots of new ones :)

I hope you get things sorted soon  :)
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2005, 09:12:43 PM »
Oh no - sorry to hear this - it seemed like such good news yesterday!

Only you know what's best for you & Beau, so don't feel pressured one way or another - take your time.

I can definitely identify with you with regards to feeling imprisoned by your dog - I'm only now finally able to start getting out for short periods of time & I sooooooooooooooo know what you mean about stress levels!! Just a bit of info to share with you that might help or might not - I'm not sure if you're able to do what we did, but I'll tell you about our 'little howler' anyway!...(Apologies now, cos it might be a bit of a ramble!!)

Max is 24 weeks old today & since we had him at 9 weeks, he's definitely developed a degree of SA  - the breeder was home with him & his siblings & parents all day every day & since we've had him, I've been taking a career break too, so I've been around 24/7. We think this might have kind of created a rod for our own backs in a way but we're not sure.

Anyway, right from the start, he hated being shut in a room away from us - even the puppy gate at the kitchen door when he could clearly see us the other side!  He also hated his crate & never went in it during the day & would only sleep in it at night if it was in our bedroom with us - we gave in on this one & to be fair, he was 100% fine immediately & has been ever since - he's now graduated to a normal bed in our room & is perfect at night.

However, days were shaping up to be a battle - he truly hated being shut in the lovingly created puppy-proofed kitchen & would howl, cry, bark, pee, poop, scratch, roll in the wee, etc etc etc - we persevered for a few weeks but it was killing me, REALLY distressing him & driving us both nuts! I was starting to think we'd NEVER  be able to leave him for more than 10 minutes as either he or I would have a heart attack, never mind the poor neighbours!! I was at my wits end. We tried using a puppy gate, closing the proper door, crating him, uncrating him, using all manner of beds & bedding, kongs, toys, chews, treats, radio, telly, DAP, etc etc etc - argh!!!!!!

He was doing so well with everything else - perfect at nights, 100% toilet trained, good out on walks, grasping all his training, etc etc - in fact, a real joy to have & a lovely, happy, playful, affectionate little character - BUT for the leaving him thing - he HAD to be able to at least see us at all times - preferably be as close to us as possible - the only time he was away from us was of HIS choosing & then only the garden or kitchen for some grub usually! He'd sit outside the loo door & howl pitifully!!

Then, we bit the bullet one day a month or so ago & decided that maybe he had a problem with the kitchen & the closed door - we figured he'd begun to associate the kitchen as the 'evil room!'  where he only ever spent any time when he was getting shut in & we were leaving him - otherwise, he was always in the lounge with us & used to sleep in there on the floor & play with his toys in there etc etc etc.

So, we got the puppy gate out again & put it up at the doorway of the lounge/hall & opened the lounge/kitchen door & gave him the run of the 2 rooms - we puppy proofed the lounge as best we could & just gritted our teeth & tried it.

Well, I swear, it was like someone had flicked a switch in him - what a different dog!!!!

I gradually tried leaving him for 10 mins (easy - oh my god!!)  then building up to longer etc & in the space of a few weeks, I've got him up to 2 hours, which doesn't sound a lot, but for him/us it's a ruddy miracle & we're over the moon - there is FINALLY light at the end of the tunnel!! I've spied on him & recorded him & even used a webcam to film him (hubby works in IT - men & their toys!!) & he doesn't make a sound - oh my god - I was truly gobsmacked!!

He watches me go, huffs a bit, then either gets on his beanbag or the sofa (yes, I know, the sofa - small price to pay though we figured!) & goes to sleep!! He does wander round a bit sometimes & look out of the window for me & lie by the puppygate a bit, but he's not in the least distressed, doesn't chew ANYTHING, doesn't pee,  doesn't make a sound, etc etc etc - I was stunned! We leave him all the usual treats & toys & always tell him 'back in a minute - wait there - good boy' in a happy voice & that seems to work!

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that he's never gonna chew anything or break anything maybe, but so far so good - it's been over a month now. He's so much more relaxed - he still doesn't like me going & he's still exhibiting signs of separation anxiety to a degree,  but it's noticeably better than it was - he'll often wander round the house & fall asleep in a room that I'm NOT in for example - BIG development! He also only whimpers now when we're in the loo!! He still hates closed doors though - big time - really don't know why.

Is there any way you could try Beau out of his crate? Is there a room he feels very at ease in that you could maybe pen off an area or puppy-proof it somehow? When you nipped to the Post Office the other day & he was quiet, was he in or out of his crate? I might be completely talking out of my @rse but all I can say is that fingers crossed it seems to have worked for us - SO FAR.

Sorry for the long ramble & if it's all useless info, but I really hope you can find a solution so that you can keep Beau.

Let us know how it goes!
Good luck!

:)  

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline paddys mum

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2005, 09:49:15 PM »
Oh no poor you  :( what Kath says seems to be some really good advice.
What about leaving the radio? on  :unsure: or something like that or one of those dog things that you use for puppies (with a beating heart) to go in his crate with him. I'm so sorry that you've had a minor hiccup but I hope things get better for you  :)
Nicola, Grace & Paddy xxx

Offline hawkins

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2005, 09:09:05 AM »
So sorry to hear about your situation. It must have been a very difficult decision for you to make. I can't imagine what strength it has taken for you to cope with these events. I am sure that the decision is the best for you and Sohpie.

I hope everything settles well with Beau.

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Sad News
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2005, 11:07:59 AM »
Oh no  :o  :unsure:   Keep at it, Im sure he will settle, he is young enough to learn.  He just needs some time to adjust.  What a roller coaster you are on  :huh:   Still wishing you all the luck in the world.  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sad News
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
What a roller coaster you are on

Yip, it definately feels like that - and I am not into theme parks in a big way!  :P

Beau is like a different dog from when Sophie was here, he is very quiet and withdrawn, almost depressed looking.  He is still only 10mths old, but it is as though he has no get up and go.  :(

I got up early this morning as it was a lovely sunny, but very frosty morning.  Took him out for an hour & quarters walk up the woods, and he never walked any further then 3ft in front of me.  I kept tripping over him every 2 mins!  It was very frustrating when you are used to him bounding about all over the place - it was just as though he was "lost" without Sophie leading the way.  The whole walk he never stopped to sniff anything more than 3 times and was totally focused on making sure I was right behind him.  :unsure:

Anyway, when we got home I decided to go to Tesco for an hour to see how he would be.  Me and Paul both left him, by the time we went he was asleep in the crate anyway looking very sorry for himself.  

We got back a little under an hour later, and when I walked into the room, he was asleep and hadn't even noticed the rustling carrier bags coming in the door!

He looked a bit chirpier too, so I have decided to try it for another 2 days to see how it goes.  I cannot make a judgement on 2 good days (one of which was only for an hour) and a really bad day.

I don't want to give him too many hugs to cheer him up either in case it works against me - everything is just so complicated at the moment!  :rolleyes:
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Sad News
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2005, 12:52:45 PM »
Keeping fingers crossed for the next two days.

Rachel xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline fi61

• Site Member
    • http://
Sad News
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »
So VERY sorry to hear your news, good luck with Beau.

Fiona, Milly and Lucy

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sad News
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2005, 06:21:52 PM »
Update!

Beau is still with us, and seems to be doing not too badly.

He is not depressed anymore - thank goodness!  In fact he is very chirpy this afternoon playing chase and hide the slimy chewstick!  :ph34r:

He was quiet yesterday for 3.75hrs whilst I was out, and today the mp3 recording did  not work, but my neighbour says she never heard a cheep from him.  :)

Will try another mp3 recording tomorrow, but all seems to be going not too badly so far!  ;)
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Rachel B

• Site Member
  • Look at me!!!!
Sad News
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2005, 06:24:32 PM »
Fantastic news.  Well done.

Rachel & Barney xxx
Rachel & James and a waggly tail from Mr Barningham

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2005, 06:31:27 PM »
Fingers and paws crossed for you Aileen  ;) xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2005, 06:34:39 PM »
So pleased that things are better - I was thinking about you!
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Sad News
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2005, 07:43:05 PM »
Glad to hear he is being a good boy ;)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Sad News
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2005, 07:54:46 PM »
Awww, what a good boy, you must be so pleased that he seems to be coming round.  Fingers crossed he continues to improve  :D .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Sad News
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2005, 08:20:06 PM »
That's fantastic news  :D  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx