Author Topic: Chicken Wings Tonight !  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 12:51:26 PM »
...do you think they would be fattening? 

Would luv to try my two with one...not been brave enough yet  :huh: ...and worried about the calories as struggle with their weight  :blink:
[snapback]162773[/snapback]

Go  for it Su :)  - I am sure the odd one now and again won't hurt and you can reduce their daily allowance to compensate  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »
There is one bit of info though - depending on where you get the wings from ( I get mine from Tesco) is that the meat needs to be frozen for 24 hours before you give it to them.  Apparently it kills a particular germ.  I'm not sure what or how but I do remember being amazed when I was told.
[snapback]162774[/snapback]

Is that all meat, got him some Big bones from our local butcher  :D  dont want to make him poorly.
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 03:40:57 PM »
Libby adores chicken wings but I have to keep hold of it. I have to make sure she crunchies it otherwise she would swallow it in one. No joke - she would. She is very greedy and still woofs her food down too.

Its quite hard to keep hold of a slippery chicken wing with a 7 month old cocker on the other end!
Anita

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 03:45:06 PM »
Go  for it Su :)  - I am sure the odd one now and again won't hurt and you can reduce their daily allowance to compensate  ;)
[snapback]162959[/snapback]
Good idea Rachel  ;) ...would be nice as a treat...will brave it  :lol: xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 03:59:17 PM »
There is one bit of info though - depending on where you get the wings from ( I get mine from Tesco) is that the meat needs to be frozen for 24 hours before you give it to them.  Apparently it kills a particular germ.  I'm not sure what or how but I do remember being amazed when I was told.
[snapback]162774[/snapback]

Is that all meat, got him some Big bones from our local butcher  :D  dont want to make him poorly.
[snapback]163000[/snapback]

The site I got the info from is crashed at the moment - will check again later.  If they are 'recreational' bones - ie huge things used to keep them entertained (like a kong only cheaper :lol: ) then no I dont freeze those.  Anything else, chicken wings, pork ribs, lamb breast anything that is a 'meal' I freeze for 24 hours.
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 08:26:49 PM »
Libby adores chicken wings but I have to keep hold of it. I have to make sure she crunchies it otherwise she would swallow it in one. No joke - she would. She is very greedy and still woofs her food down too.

Its quite hard to keep hold of a slippery chicken wing with a 7 month old cocker on the other end!
[snapback]163001[/snapback]

I now have a picture in my mind!  Do you come away with your fingers intact?  I nearly always loose tug of war with Ben unless I cheat - so the thought of hanging on to his chicken wing fills me with dread :D  He hasn't had one for a while as when he had his bad tummy the vet said 'no bones whatsover, we see too many problems'.  This worried me a bit so I am now cooking his pet mince (to kill bugs)and have (until now) banned chicken wings.  After being reassured by all the lovely COL members, there is a wing defrosting for tomorrow morning...................I might even be brave enough to leave his meat raw next!

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 06:47:55 AM »
Willow loves her chicken wings but I chicken out (ha ha!) periodically as she does frighten me. She starts off carefully crunching then seems to just swallow the second half. Is this ok for her? Are the bones really soft enough? OH says they can disolve bones in their stomach?

Please can someone reasure me? Thanks.

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:58 AM »

Willow loves her chicken wings but I chicken out (ha ha!) periodically as she does frighten me. She starts off carefully crunching then seems to just swallow the second half. Is this ok for her? Are the bones really soft enough? OH says they can disolve bones in their stomach?

Alfie loves chicken wings too and if I can't hold on to it will swallow the last part. :D I always stay with him when he's got one just to keep an eye on him but if he's got it out of my hand I have to keep a distance then he will take his time eating it otherwise he will try and bolt it down  :o  
The way I understand it is that the bone and the marrow are softer because they contain water and they can disolve them in their stomachs. If they were cooked all the moisture is taken out and the bone becomes hard and brittle which is where the problems start!  :o
I didn't know about the freezing of them though, but I have always put them in the freezer and wrap them individually and just get one out now and again. :)
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 08:11:14 AM »
Yeah I wrap mine individually as well  ;) and freeze them. I tried Buttons on chicken wings many moons ago and you'd have thought I was trying to poison her  :rolleyes: Tried her again yesterday as I felt a bit guilty that only Gracie was getting the treat and she scoffed it  :o  :lol:

I think Buttons is slowly beginning to realise if you not fast your last where food is concerned in this house as Gracie is a wee oinker  :D

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 09:01:28 AM »
Sorry guys - web site with info is still down - one of the reasons I stopped going on the forum, you could never be sure you could get on :angry:

As soon as its back I'll post the link about freezing the meat first.

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 09:50:32 AM »
OK the parasite is called Neosporosis Caninum and I have found the following link

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/66505.html

This is not the info that I first saw but you get the point!!  

So as you can see - its not just chicken and its not just raw meat that hosts this germ.  

Hope you dont mind me putting a link to another forum :blink:

Edited to correct grammer (sorry its the ex-school teacher in me!!)

Penel

Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 07:52:04 PM »
Neospora isn't in chicken - its in beef and lamb.
It is advisable to freeze all raw meat and bones before feeding them - but personally I don't - I know there is a risk, but it is a tiny risk.  I have fed 5 dogs raw meat and bones for 6 years now with no problem - even Lola who has mega allergies (she is fed on raw tripe and pork bones)..... the pups were all started on raw from 8 wks old - here is a pic of puppy Lola eating her first wing awwwww

If you are worried about them not chewing their chicken wings, you can bash them with a cleaver or hammer first so that the bones are broken within the flesh and skin, or you can get a pair of old pliers and hang onto the wing until they have chewed most of it.

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 08:01:19 PM »
Neospora isn't in chicken - its in beef and lamb.
It is advisable to freeze all raw meat and bones before feeding them - but personally I don't - I know there is a risk, but it is a tiny risk.  I have fed 5 dogs raw meat and bones for 6 years now with no problem - even Lola who has mega allergies (she is fed on raw tripe and pork bones)..... the pups were all started on raw from 8 wks old - here is a pic of puppy Lola eating her first wing awwwww

If you are worried about them not chewing their chicken wings, you can bash them with a cleaver or hammer first so that the bones are broken within the flesh and skin, or you can get a pair of old pliers and hang onto the wing until they have chewed most of it.
[snapback]163661[/snapback]

See - I knew you'd know more about it than me :lol:  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Chicken Wings Tonight !
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2005, 11:06:52 AM »

[snapback]163001[/snapback]

I now have a picture in my mind!  Do you come away with your fingers intact?  I nearly always loose tug of war with Ben unless I cheat - so the thought of hanging on to his chicken wing fills me with dread :D  He hasn't had one for a while as when he had his bad tummy the vet said 'no bones whatsover, we see too many problems'.  This worried me a bit so I am now cooking his pet mince (to kill bugs)and have (until now) banned chicken wings.  After being reassured by all the lovely COL members, there is a wing defrosting for tomorrow morning...................I might even be brave enough to leave his meat raw next!
[snapback]163092[/snapback]

Still got all my figures :) Might try the basging them first though to make sure the bones are broken. Now why didn't I think of that :blink: .
Anita