Author Topic: Dog Flaps  (Read 1241 times)

Offline mark206000

• Site Member
Dog Flaps
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:56:54 AM »
Hi all,

I'm going to get a doggie door and was wondering what size do yous have ?

I was looking at a medium petmate or staywell, are these big enough ?

Also any preference between staywell or petmates ?

Thanks !

Mark   :)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Dog Flaps
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »
Hi,
I don't have a doggy flap, but I do have a couple of staywell cat flaps on the side of my avairy for the rabbits and ducks and all my dogs have been able to squeeze through these for rabbit food so I would difinately say medium would be ideal for a cocker.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline SULKY MISS

• Site Member
  • Loki & Wispa
Dog Flaps
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 03:49:30 PM »
Hi, I've tried both, they are 'much of a muchness' unfortunateley Loki broke the first dog 'flap' completley off when he came speeding up the garden at full steam, my second one Wispa 'ate' because she didn't like waiting outside while I was having a carpet fitted!! I've now stuck a bit of wood over the remaining bit of plastic and that seems to be working for now!!
The size I have is the 'giant' because my mums German Shepard & collie come over alot, so what size you get should depends on what size their friends are!!
P.s I would be without one as mine are always outside and I got fed up always opening the door for them :rolleyes:
If Your Dog Thinks You're The Best, Don't Seek A Second Opinion!!!!!!!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Dog Flaps
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:41:02 PM »
Please just make sure that you can lock it, for when you go out, so the dog can't go in the back garden, and run the risk of being stolen.  Even though I have a very high fenced and secure garden, I chose not to get one.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline issey

• Site Member
Dog Flaps
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 06:53:07 PM »
hi
we have a staywell medium one which is the size it states on it for cocker spaniels.
Issey is 9 months old and has used it from 9 weeks of age.
We only have it open when we are in the house, so she only has run of garden whilst we are in, but I can reccommend it.

love
karen x :)
love Karen xxxxxx and Issey xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
Dog Flaps
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 08:16:33 PM »
Please just make sure that you can lock it, for when you go out, so the dog can't go in the back garden, and run the risk of being stolen.  Even though I have a very high fenced and secure garden, I chose not to get one.
[snapback]186261[/snapback]

I agree; there is so much dog theft these days I would be very worried about leaving the dogs unattended in the garden!! :ph34r:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline glenchalk

• Site Member
Dog Flaps
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »
Hi, I've tried both, they are 'much of a muchness' unfortunateley Loki broke the first dog 'flap' completley off when he came speeding up the garden at full steam, my second one Wispa 'ate' because she didn't like waiting outside while I was having a carpet fitted!! I've now stuck a bit of wood over the remaining bit of plastic and that seems to be working for now!!
The size I have is the 'giant' because my mums German Shepard & collie come over alot, so what size you get should depends on what size their friends are!!
P.s I would be without one as mine are always outside and I got fed up always opening the door for them :rolleyes:
[snapback]186241[/snapback]
Hehe ,Our Dylan has broke 2 doors by charging up the path,He's a working cocker so i don't if that makes him more errrr lively?

Offline mark206000

• Site Member
Dog Flaps
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 11:27:13 AM »
Thanks for replies everyone  :D

We've got a big garage with a bit cordoned off for him to run about in when we're busy.   Doggie flap will lead out into a fenced off bit of garden up the side of the garage where no one can really see into.

Hopefully be safe in there  :ph34r:

He's not even arrived yet, 4 weeks to go  :o

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Dog Flaps
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 11:36:32 AM »
Please just make sure that you can lock it, for when you go out, so the dog can't go in the back garden, and run the risk of being stolen.  Even though I have a very high fenced and secure garden, I chose not to get one.
[snapback]186261[/snapback]

this is so true.i have two 5' gates before you can get into my garden and someone climed them the other night and pinched two of my greenhouse glass panels :ph34r: then let themselves out leaving both gates open.