Author Topic: Docking  (Read 10797 times)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: Docking
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »
I don't think we will see many docked dogs at all even working dogs. The amendments to the AWB include vets certifying that they have preformed the docking. The RCVS has already said disciplinary action will be taken on any vets proved to have carried out ANY docking.... how many vets will be willing to certify that they have carried out docking and face possible disiplinary action??

:huh:
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline LindaJ

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 02:37:25 PM »
Re Animal Wefare Bill in Scotland timescale (Sorry I haven't worked out how to do quotes yet).  I got an email back from Animal Health & Welfare (Scotland) Bill team at the Scottish Executive on 27th Feb advising

"It is anticipated that the Bill will receive Royal Assent in July or August with the Bill coming into operation in the Autumn.   Not all sections of the Bill will come into force on the same date and these will come into force at a later date when an Order is made"

I hadn't asked specifically about the ban on tail docking so I don't know if it will be one of the first things to be enforced.

Linda

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 02:44:01 PM »
I was discussing the Bill with someone at the anti-docking alliance (sorry, I'm one of those in favour of it being banned) and apparently breeders wanting to get their working litters docked will have to show the vet a gun license or something that proves that they will be used for working. If it is found out later on that they are not working then the vet can be prosecuted - that's my understanding of it, anyway but I haven't totally got my head round it so feel free to correct me if anyone knows different!

Personally I'm pleased that at least something is being done about docking show dogs - it was great to see a few naturally tailed dogs at Crufts this year. Bella has a full tail and it's a gorgeous white flag of a thing, people comment on how lovely it is almost every week.  :D
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline k

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 09:52:58 PM »
Docking of show dogs is something I cannot understand at all, what is the reason for it being done?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 10:57:09 PM »
The pros & cons of docking have been discussed many times so if you're interested, you'll be able to find past threads, one not that long ago. Please can we keep this thread to a discussion about the forthcoming change in the law & it's impact.

Thanks ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 09:44:57 AM »
I might be very daft, but do they plan to get a docking ban on showspaniels, but not working spaniels??

Could anyone inform me how far you are from a total ban. I dont know the UK law-making system, so could anyone enlighten me please.
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline k3lly84

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
This page of the CDB site explains the ammendments pretty well: http://www.cdb.org/lords/bill.htm

The RVS do prosecute their vets already if they are found to perform tail dockin which is why vets who do dock won't admit it or perform the operation if you aren't a CDB member.

I don't understand how this is going to be regulated if the lords pass it.

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
The only way this can be managed and regulated I suppose is by the KC making it clear that only dogs with undocked tails after the 14th march will be accepted as the breed standard in shows. 
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 10:32:09 AM »
The only way this can be managed and regulated I suppose is by the KC making it clear that only dogs with undocked tails after the 14th march will be accepted as the breed standard in shows. 

Wouldnt that make the dogshows very empty????

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 10:41:30 AM »
This page of the CDB site explains the ammendments pretty well: http://www.cdb.org/lords/bill.htm

The RVS do prosecute their vets already if they are found to perform tail dockin which is why vets who do dock won't admit it or perform the operation if you aren't a CDB member.

I don't understand how this is going to be regulated if the lords pass it.

I still dont get it, so it should be legal to show a docked dog as long as the public do not pay a fee to see the show?

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »
obviously those docked before would be accepted until a time thay would reduce in numbers, but the point is the KC have to give a very clear and strong lead on this to ensure that the law is followed going forward.  

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 10:50:52 AM »
obviously those docked before would be accepted until a time thay would reduce in numbers, but the point is the KC have to give a very clear and strong lead on this to ensure that the law is followed going forward.  

Ah ok, then I understand. This has also been the way to handle the docking ban in DK.

But if u were still allowed to dock the working cockers, how would u do it then. Anyone can say they work with their cockers cant they? Anyone can get a hunting liscense too. And working cockers can be shown too if they like cant they?

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 10:59:28 AM »
very true and this is my point I think in the future you will see still see show cockers with docked tails and the breeders will claim they are working dogs.  I think this will further diminish the KC reputation and show it as powerless to stop breeders from ignoring the law and the apparent breed standard.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 11:05:44 AM »
I think it is unworkable, as is the law at the moment. What really confuses me is why they've not mentioned dew claws in it at all?  ::)

Cayley.

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 11:15:22 AM »
I do think the law is workable but only if the KC make it unacceptable to have docked show breeds, and dew claw point is a very valid one if it's cruel and painful to dock but not to dew claw, it doesn't make sense, but that is another discussion all together.  My point is not about the rights and wrongs of docking but the KC inability to manage its own breed standards and keep within the law.