Author Topic: Docking  (Read 10783 times)

Offline anita96

• Site Member
Re: Docking
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2006, 11:52:59 AM »
My original question was around whether show cockers will be seen at shows with tails, having seen all the comments I am still wondering whether breeder will show undocked dogs or whether the waters will be muddied over the working dog exemptionl
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline SAMBAdeRIO

• Site Member
    • The Story about a little nugget
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
As you know I live in Australia and here docking is already banned so Samba (6months) has a full tail, and I love it, it balances her shape beautifuly, I can see her emotions, when she was a puppy it was so important, I love to look at her walking in front of us with her tail wagging happily.
I'm not a purist, it's my first dog, and I'm totally in love with her from nose to tail :luv: :luv:
Mag

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
My original question was around whether show cockers will be seen at shows with tails, having seen all the comments I am still wondering whether breeder will show undocked dogs or whether the waters will be muddied over the working dog exemptionl

...further to that on aesthetics - if show cockers fall under the 'working dog exemption' will they then have the long dock of the working cocker or still be able to dock very short as presently favoured? just curious.... ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2006, 12:31:34 PM »
As you know I live in Australia and here docking is already banned so Samba (6months) has a full tail, and I love it, it balances her shape beautifuly, I can see her emotions, when she was a puppy it was so important, I love to look at her walking in front of us with her tail wagging happily.
I'm not a purist, it's my first dog, and I'm totally in love with her from nose to tail :luv: :luv:
Mag

The thing is tails vary in length and thickness and also vary the amount of hair that covers it, so when one dog may look in proportion another may look out of proportion, my Lottie has a very thin tail, for the most part it's thinner than a pencil with barely any hair.
Cayley.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2006, 04:34:11 PM »

There is a big question mark is over how the working dog exemption will be interpreted but it seems pretty clear that show breeders who don't work their dogs will not be able to make use of it so yes you will see many more undocked Cockers in the ring after next year, as has happened in all the other countries which have banned docking (assuming the Lords pass the Act with its current wording)

Jane
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2006, 07:19:08 PM »
In case some of you are wondering where your posts have gone.

I decided to remove my post, and therefore any post with a quote from it too as otherwise the thread would not read correctly. It was off topic and leading this thread along another route.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »
I asked about our practice policy on docking today, and didn't realise that none of our vets hav docked, or will dock, for the last 20 years. Only in cases of tail damage. As of today w have all the forms and a petition going in work to encourage people to write to their MP's. :D
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »
I asked about our practice policy on docking today, and didn't realise that none of our vets hav docked, or will dock, for the last 20 years. Only in cases of tail damage. As of today w have all the forms and a petition going in work to encourage people to write to their MP's. :D

Are vets taught how to dock?
Cayley.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2006, 10:22:15 PM »

Are vets taught how to dock?

I don't know - I assume so, like any other surgical procedure. We see attempts at docking on a weekly basis at work by people who obviously have no clue - at least if vets do it they have anaesthetics available and other drugs if it has to be done.

I'll ask.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2006, 10:39:16 PM »
As of today w have all the forms and a petition going in work to encourage people to write to their MP's. :D

In support of the ban or against it? Our part-time vet (who is very old school and my favourite ;)) thinks the whole thing is nonsense and the other two vets haven't expressed an opinion. One of our nurses however has plasterd the waiting room with posters and postcards ::) This is also the same girl who told me that I "should be embarrassed to work in a vets when I have dogs with docked tails as it doesn't exactly show a united front" >:(  >:D >:D Wish they had told me when I took the job 6 years ago that I wasn't allowed to have opinions of my own >:D

Edied to add that Penel has answered my question ;) :005: :005: I should learn to read properly ph34r
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Penel

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2006, 11:35:42 PM »

Excellent  :D very pleased to hear it !  you have great vets Shona !