Author Topic: Working  (Read 502 times)

Offline Woppit

• Site Member
Working
« on: March 21, 2006, 09:11:28 PM »
Does anyone know a good way to get into working my cockers? I'd love to do stuff with them and I feel a lot happier in the field than in the ring.. I've never done any fieldwork with them and they've never been shooting... any advice really appreciated!!!
"it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Working
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:13:40 PM »
Hi.  :blink: If you're looking to actually work them on a shoot. Find out where your nearest pheasant shoot is held and get to know the farmer/their gamekeeper? They may well have some tips for your locality, or at least know the sort of people who will. They may allow you to go out with the beaters on the next shoot (if you've never been on a shoot before that is, sorry if you have, dont want to sound patronising), without your dogs, just to see what sort of control you need to have over your dogs in order to prevent any accidents. You will meet people who have well trained working dogs(hopefully) that way and be able to talk to them. I'm sure someone else here will probably know if there are any formal training classes for workers but to tbh I've never heard of any, can't really see how it would work :lol:. Well trained contollable dogs are always welcome on shoots. Unpredictable/noisy ones(dogs or owners) definately aren't, they're too dangerous. Good luck.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
Re: Working
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »
Hi
My advise would be to find a local Gundog training class,they do have Tests an Elementary test and an advanced test.
They usually also run working tests out of the shooting season,which are baised on dummies not live game.
You have also got to introduce your dog to the gun,being shot over can be traumatic if your dog is not intoduced properly.
You have also got to be prepared to handle dead and sometimes wounded game.

Being in the beating line is a hard but enjoyable job if you have a well trained dog
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud