Author Topic: Horrible experience  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
Re: Horrible experience
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 09:41:59 PM »
Glad you are both okay please don't let it spoil your walks. 

Following on from
My 12 year old regularly walks our dogs, especially Hamish as he can't go far these days. I think it's all part of responsibility and dog ownership myself.

But is it part of responsible parenting to allow a child out without supervision at such a young age  :huh:, given the increase in violence,  abuse, etc towards them, not having children myself I can only go on how my friends behave with their children and I know none of them would permit any of their children to be outside under the age of 14 years without supervision or without being with friends !

A lot of it depends on the area in which you live too! I think some areas are safer to allow children to be out walking than others. I can safely say that all the children in Yr6 that I have contact with (age 11) are given such responsibilities in the area I live. I often see children walking dogs on leads and if I'm honest most have more contro of their animalsl than their parents!!!!  ::)

Quite agree, living on the Island is perhaps one of the most safest places in the UK, however most of the children that I come into contact and personally know are not permitted to be out unsupervised or alone, maybe us Islanders are over protective of our children because we hear such sad news about the treatment of children in other areas in the UK and just want ours to remain safe and enjoy their childhood. :D
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »

Following on from
My 12 year old regularly walks our dogs, especially Hamish as he can't go far these days. I think it's all part of responsibility and dog ownership myself.

But is it part of responsible parenting to allow a child out without supervision at such a young age  :huh:, given the increase in violence,  abuse, etc towards them, not having children myself I can only go on how my friends behave with their children and I know none of them would permit any of their children to be outside under the age of 14 years without supervision or without being with friends !

A lot of it depends on the area in which you live too! I think some areas are safer to allow children to be out walking than others. I can safely say that all the children in Yr6 that I have contact with (age 11) are given such responsibilities in the area I live. I often see children walking dogs on leads and if I'm honest most have more contro of their animalsl than their parents!!!!  ::)
maybe us Islanders are over protective of our children because we hear such sad news about the treatment of children in other areas in the UK and just want ours to remain safe and enjoy their childhood. :D

I think people wherever they live want their children to remain safe and enjoy their childhood! ;) This isn't a parenting website though so I think I'll steer clear of getting into the whys and wherefors of this!!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 10:07:40 PM »
I think people wherever they live want their children to remain safe and enjoy their childhood! ;) This isn't a parenting website though so I think I'll steer clear of getting into the whys and wherefors of this!!

Totally agree Lisa ;)

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 10:35:56 PM »

Quite agree, living on the Island is perhaps one of the most safest places in the UK, however most of the children that I come into contact and personally know are not permitted to be out unsupervised or alone, maybe us Islanders are over protective of our children because we hear such sad news about the treatment of children in other areas in the UK and just want ours to remain safe and enjoy their childhood. :D

!!!!!  I think I'm going to opt out now - it seems certain parts of the country have the monopoly on worrying/caring about their kids.
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 10:48:23 PM »
I'm glad Jack is OK  :luv: The same thing happened to Bailey when he was about 6 months old, but his attacker was a blue roan cocker!!  :o   It hasn't affected him at all.  Bailey thinks every dog should be his friend  :-\ ::)

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 07:46:08 AM »

!!!!!  I think I'm going to opt out now - it seems certain parts of the country have the monopoly on worrying/caring about their kids.

Yep, you are getting the idea now -  ;)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »

Following on from

My 12 year old walks our ill dog, up and down on the strip of grass in our cul de sac, where we have lived for 6 years and know every neighbour, and I am two steps away. It's the first stage of her independence-she also walks to school with her friends.

I think your friends are very over protctive not allowing a kid under 14 out unsupervised? Seems OTT to me.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 07:52:40 AM »

Following on from

I have to say I'd be mor concerned about my children where you live, compared to where I am. We don't have a transient population of unknown holidaymakers, and everyone knows each other so well that a stranger stands out a mile. Maybe us non-islanders are just over protective of our children because we hear such sad news about the treatment of island children, and want ours to remain safe and enjoy their childhood. :D

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 08:04:24 AM »
For the islanders - here's an interesting crime statistics report - you are safer from robbery it seems, but MORE in danger of sexual assault

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/02/cracking_crime/my_area/results/html/mw.stm

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 09:12:27 AM »

You know I find this post an offensive sweeping generalisation >:( 

May I remind you too, that if you check your geography you will realise that the whole of the UK is actually an Island, so yes perhaps us *Islanders* are protective of our children :P

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2006, 09:29:21 AM »
Am closing this thread since it has gone off topic & is degenerating into an argument.

Jane