Author Topic: Horrible experience  (Read 3282 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Re: Horrible experience
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »
I am so sorry to hear of your awful experience  :'( poor little Jack .. pleased to hear he seems ok ..sending a big (((HUG))) to you both xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 04:13:28 PM »
Poor Jack
Glade his ok

((Sending big hugs ))

Offline cc

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »
thank you.  will give him lots tonight from you all (if i have to i'll force myself!!   :005: :005:)

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Jack's nasty experience - a very similar thing happened to Clive on Friday. But he seems to have bounced back okay and as you say, it'll probably make you more wary rather than Jack!

Clive sends sympathy and licks.
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 05:16:07 PM »
I didn't mean in case the dog attacked the child, as cc said, she had to lift Jack out of the way and keep the dog away with her foot and a if it had been a child walking their dog they would probably not either think to do this or be physically able to do it so their dog could have been seriously hurt.

I do NOT think that staffies attack children!  >:(

I'm sorry Nicola - it didn't occur to me that unsupervised children may be walking their dogs; its not something we have a problem with here  :-\

TBH I don't necessarily agree with it either but I live on a pretty quiet street and there are a few kids who are often out and about with the family dogs, there are a couple of girls (about 8 and 10) with a westie and a boy of about 10 with a wee lhasa apso-type hairy thing.

My dogs are family dogs and love running with the children and playing with them when we are out - we have actively encouraged this and my dogs and children have a lovely bond.

If a dog was to run up and attack Mikey or Herbie whilst they were innocently playing ball with my children in the park (under supervision) I may not be able to get my children out of the way fast enough and they could get caught up in it - this is something that I am very aware of (maybe even a bit paranoid about), and I think people with dogs that attack other dogs should be controlling their animals whilst in a public place as it may not only be the other dog that gets hurt.

Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 05:49:31 PM »
The other owner finally managed to get her dog back where she smaked him about 15 times.

So her dog now thinks that returning to its owner results in a smack, thats good responsible ownership isn't it. You can bet some time soon she'll try and recall her dog snd it won't return and she'll but stood there wondering why  >:D >:D

Very sorry to hear about this, I hope Jack is ok  :'( :-*

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 06:50:52 PM »
So sorry to hear of your horrible experience :'(

Glad Jack is alright :blink:
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 06:59:24 PM »
Poor Jack what a throughly horrible experience for him. Yesterday I was reading about Clive, Abby's puppy, being attacked in the park.It does seem a shame when the pups are happily sniffing about minding their own business & another dog comes up & frightens them like that & it can make them fearful meeting other dogs. Unfortunately some owners have no control over their dogs & just allow them to go around upsetting others. >:D
Hopefully Jack & Clive will be none the worst for their experiences!
Best Wishes to both of them.
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 07:09:58 PM »
I'm sorry Nicola - it didn't occur to me that unsupervised children may be walking their dogs; its not something we have a problem with here  :-\

I'm not sure where in the world it is a 'problem' for children to walk dogs unsupervised.  My 12 yr old daughter walks Moog unsupervised (all be it just across the road to the playing fields and not very regularly) and I'm not aware of people thinking she is causing a 'problem'.

I hope you are Jack are ok today - dont let it spoil things - I am still nervous when any dog that's off lead approaches us and my one and only experience of a dog attacking was over 20yrs ago when I was an unsupervised child out with my sister and my beloved Pepsi.  Those kinds of owners and their dogs are in the minority IMO, it's just you dont hear about all the hundreds of times everyday, all over the country, and world where dogs run upto one another and just have fun.  ;)
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 07:22:04 PM »
I'm not sure where in the world it is a 'problem' for children to walk dogs unsupervised.  My 12 yr old daughter walks Moog unsupervised (all be it just across the road to the playing fields and not very regularly) and I'm not aware of people thinking she is causing a 'problem'.

Obviously it depends on the individual child, but generally its not something I like to see, for the reasons already mentioned; children are less likely to be able to deal with an accident or incident than an adult, and they or the dog may end up hurt or frightened as a result :(
There seem to be more and more adults about who think its acceptable for their dog behave badly towards others - and then shout abuse at other owners if their dog ends being put in its place by another dog. I'd hate for a child to be on the receiving end of this kind of verbal abuse; it would be really scary for them  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 07:44:33 PM »

Obviously it depends on the individual child, but generally its not something I like to see, for the reasons already mentioned; children are less likely to be able to deal with an accident or incident than an adult, and they or the dog may end up hurt or frightened as a result :(
There seem to be more and more adults about who think its acceptable for their dog behave badly towards others - and then shout abuse at other owners if their dog ends being put in its place by another dog. I'd hate for a child to be on the receiving end of this kind of verbal abuse; it would be really scary for them  :-\

firstly i'm so glad jack has a cocker memory (ie sieve like!) and seems to have shaken off his ordeal!! lots of manly cocker snogs from jarv to jack.

it is VERY frightening seeing your dog attacked when there is no warning and no provocation - and i agree with everyone who says it's bad owners not bad dogs....

re children walking dogs - i'm also a bit wary of this.... 

i see an 11 year old boy walked (or dragged) by an enormous and very strong black lab around these parts - the dog is lovely but there are many others that aren't 'nice' around here and i doubt whether the boy could control the dog should there be an incident like the one with jack...and i also worry (i think too much ph34r) about dog theft and how easy it would be for someone to steal a dog from a child...

i don't doubt that your child can handle your cocker moog - but i would worry about the other dogs and bad owners out there..and there are a lot around.....
helen & jarvis x

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »
Sorry to hear what happened and glad that Jack is feeling better.  We had a similar experience this morning (although thankfully in our case Pringle was just bowled over by two very large, friendly dogs), and it frightened Pringle to death so she sends Jack lots of licks and her sympathy.  Hope that he is not too affected by it.
Ann and Pringle

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 09:22:02 PM »
My 12 year old regularly walks our dogs, especially Hamish as he can't go far these days. I think it's all part of responsibility and dog ownership myself.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2006, 09:30:42 PM »
Glad you are both okay please don't let it spoil your walks. 

Following on from
My 12 year old regularly walks our dogs, especially Hamish as he can't go far these days. I think it's all part of responsibility and dog ownership myself.

But is it part of responsible parenting to allow a child out without supervision at such a young age  :huh:, given the increase in violence,  abuse, etc towards them, not having children myself I can only go on how my friends behave with their children and I know none of them would permit any of their children to be outside under the age of 14 years without supervision or without being with friends !
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 09:34:52 PM »
Glad you are both okay please don't let it spoil your walks. 

Following on from

But is it part of responsible parenting to allow a child out without supervision at such a young age  :huh:, given the increase in violence,  abuse, etc towards them, not having children myself I can only go on how my friends behave with their children and I know none of them would permit any of their children to be outside under the age of 14 years without supervision or without being with friends !

A lot of it depends on the area in which you live too! I think some areas are safer to allow children to be out walking than others. I can safely say that all the children in Yr6 that I have contact with (age 11) are given such responsibilities in the area I live. I often see children walking dogs on leads and if I'm honest most have more control of their animals than their parents!!!!  ::)