Author Topic: Liver cake recipe please  (Read 11729 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: Liver cake recipe please
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 07:00:30 PM »
No because my blender is the jug type that has the blades in the bottom - very difficult to clean out. I'm just hoping my next yorkshire pudding doesn't taste of garlic!
I'm also hoping the bull mastiff and siberian husky at puppy class don't like the smell of garlic!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 08:07:55 PM »
I managed to attract every puppy at puppy class apart from my own! :005:  He'd rather go and beg treats from the other owners! :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 11:40:04 PM »
Well puppy class went very well tonight - we didn't attack the husky this week!

But I've changed my opinion about the smell of the liver cake. Carrying a bag around in my coat pocket for an hour and a half was bad enough. ( I must get an air tight tin! ) But when I got home I had to cut the rest of the cake up into little training sized pieces to put in the freezer. And my god did it stink! I was nearly heaving by the time I'd finished! The recipe seemed to make quite a lot so hopefully I won't have to do it too often.

I think I'll try the tuna one next time.

Offline SARAHLP

• Site Member
  • Maisy at 4 weeks
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »
Well I'm surprised anyone wants to attempt this receipe after all our horror stories!!!! :o  :o

This is the only treat that's effective in preventing Maisy causing a mass riot at dog training.  The trainer was always giving me some of her liver cake to use to improve her concentration so I had to try it for myself.  I must admit the worst part for me is when you open the lid on the food processor, but like many have said, it does make quite a large batch that lasts thank godness!!
xxx Love Sarah & (crazy) Maisy xx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 06:30:57 PM »
Well we can recommend the Tuna Bread.  Bailey absolutely adores it and most of the neighbourhood dogs do as well  ::)  A friend's dog even gave up his ball for some, and he doesn't give up his ball for anything!!  ;)

Thank you Willow and Freya  :luv:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »
Yes, thank you Willow and Freya, yes  :lol: even for the liver cake. I survived the preparation, cooking and storing. I have wrapped handfuls in foil and take one pack out of the freezer before the daily walk and put it in a plastic bag in my pocket. It defrosts on the walk. Ferns recall is defo improving and for that it is worth it. I only get a whiff of garlic when I first take it out of the freezer and that's quite a nice smell. It even attracted a rather friendly black lab on my walk today, the owner obviously needs to do a bit of work on his recall. I wonder if I should have suggested liver cake?  :005:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 09:46:44 PM »
Liver cake works brilliantly for us - the smell is a small price to pay for the immediate recall and undivided attention that Molo repays me with  :005:

I do need to make another batch - lets hope the weather is warm enough to leave the doors open  at the weekend  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »
I think Max would sell his soul for a piece of the tuna bread - I make batches of that at the same time as the livercake & freeze loads of little bagfuls - he sits waiting in the kitchen on 'dog baking' days !! Thanks to Willow for the recipes for both of them!!  ;)

I've also made some biccies which he will do anything for - can't remember where I got the recipe from - it's very simple - a cup of flour (any), some seasoning, t-spoon of garlic, t-spoon of parmesan, a desert spoonful of olive oil, an egg & enough warm water to bind it all together - makes tons - I split it down into little 'dog-mouth' sized balls & then just press them out a bit onto the baking sheet - don't bother rolling & cutting - too fiddly cos I'm lazy!! You can substitute the garlic & parmesan for a big dollop of peanut butter or a desert spoon of chicken or beef Bovril, etc. They take about 20 mins at about 180C - if you leave them in the oven to cool down when you switch it off, they go nice & hard & crispy. Max sits in front of the oven drooling while they're in there, then dances round my feet in the kitchen till he gets one to try!! Easily pleased, bless him!!  :luv: :005:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2006, 09:41:04 AM »
OH away so I thought I'd make some of this liver cake you are all talking about and maybe another doggie receipe. Is the liver cake hard and crispy or soft and chewy? Want to take it to obed as a treat I think they are sick of boiled sausages, cheese, or kabana sausage or will I attract all the other dogs :005: does it stick to your fingers ?  I hate comming home after training with sticky fingers that smell of sausage though the dogs love me :lol: :lol: it gets up your nails  >:( looking for something new as a treat.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »
I can't be bothered with the fuss of using the blender for liver cake, so always use sardine cake. Buddy loves it and it's so easy.

1 can of sardines in oil (drained)
1 egg
flour or the dust from the bottom of a bag of Burns

Mix it all up, adding the flour/dust until it is fairly stiff.

Spread fairly thinly on a plate then pop in the microwave on high until it is nearly dried out (standing will dry the rest out.) I sometimes turn it over half way through (usually have it on that "magic carpet" non-stick sheet).

It stinks when it's cooking, but not too bad in the pocket!

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2006, 11:12:26 AM »
Hi Winewood,

The liver cake is soft & spongy but not sticky & squidgy on your fingers - if you cut it into squares when cold, it's just like a bit of yorkshire pudding or something like that - but MUCH more stinky & attractive to the mutts!!

Max loves that sardine or tuna cake too Annette - drools in the kitchen when it's being cooled, desperate for a bit to try!!

:005: :luv: :005:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Nodrog

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2006, 01:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the recipe and links
good job im a retired pastrycoook  :005:

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 01:51:44 PM »
Thanks for the recipe and links
good job im a retired pastrycoook  :005:

Expertly made liver cake for your doggie then :D
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2006, 01:58:11 PM »
Thanks for the receipes,  spent an exciting Saturday night cooking for the dogs thought I'd do it while husband and son not at home. Your a bunch of wimps ha ha  :005: or maybe I'm strange did'nt think it smelled so bad, as a child mum always cooked liver and bacon casserole in winter and over the years have cooked it myself, have'nt for quite a few years but then I love the smell of kippers cooking on Sunday morning the kids hate it. Lets see what my son says we he gets home 18year old out for the night with the boys this might teach him ::) My food processor bowl I found out the hard way is a little small for the receipe it leaked out and went all over the base :o I have the rest of the liver in the oven now drying out will have to wait up another hour yet. My main question is how much liver is too much for the dogs as I'm out training 2 nights a week sometimes 3  would this be to much liver for them in one week. I also made the tuna bread and the cheese and garlic bisc and have combined in bags for training nights and the liquid from the casserole I've soaked some bread and put this in the oven will cut this up also. I think it is possible to feed them too much liver but what amount.
Indi and Kody say thanks too, she was drooling like a rottweiller. I've never seen them hang around in the kitchen and in front of the oven before, they taste tested each as it cooled loved the tuna bread, nearly had a fight over the liver cake couldnt get it to him quick enough and Indi tried to take his piece.  They are both asleep in the study with me now Indi in one chair and Kody and I sharing a chair.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2006, 02:33:01 PM »
Stupid question, but do you cook the liver first? If not then I may have to go and buy some more!