Author Topic: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?  (Read 11281 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:05:07 PM »
I have been meaning to buy dog tags for ages, but I'm not sure what to put on them. I know it has to be owner's name and address. But my OH and I have different names (I refused to change mine when we got married just to annoy my MIL but that's another story!). So do we put one or both? Or one each since we have 2 dogs! And is it christian, surname or both?
And do you have to put full address or will house number and postcode do?
And what about phone number? House, mobile or none.
And do you have your dog's name on your tag? We were advised not to, so that strangers couldn't call them.
So just wondered what everyone else had written on theirs.

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Re: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:07:18 PM »
We have our surname home and mobile number and the fact that they are microchipped. I definitely wouldn't put the dogs name on it. Just enough so they can get returned (hopefully they'll never ned it). We thought the mircochip thing was good so a vet knows straight away and keeps looking for it.

HTH
Anita

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:11:49 PM »
I have dog's name and my phone number.  Don't want my home address on it too for security reasons! And she is chipped anyway so anyone legit can find out the full info.  Reading the last reply however, I am thinking I shouldn't really have her name on it either!  Maybe next time I will have my phone no and a note saying chipped, please scan me or something like that.
Julie and Watson

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:13:22 PM »
On Alfie's tag I have my surname, my mobile number, my house phone number and that he is chipped. My address wouldn't fit on it and I didn't put his name on it because I think it would be easier for someone else to claim ownership if they knew the name the dog responded to. I figure if he ever goes missing I'll be out frantically searching for him so the mobile number is probably the most useful one.

Myself and OH have different surnames too as we're not married but mine is shorter and easier (he's Polish and his is impossible!  :005:) so we agreed to use my name on all stuff to do with Alfie - his tags, insurance, KC reg, vet records, microchip records etc. just for consistency... plus if it ever goes Pete Tong with OH then Alfie is mine!!  :005:  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 04:20:10 PM »
I have her name and my phone number, I think there are far more good natured people than bad (well it doesn't always seem that way, but good things go unreported ;))  So I would sooner, have her name on, then not atall, at least if someone gets hold of her but she manages to escape again, they can call her back :D  Shes microhipped too :shades:

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 04:28:17 PM »
We've got her name, our address and our home and mobile number. I'd never even thought of putting our name on it........

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:31:40 PM »
Max has his name, our home number and postcode on his, he is chipped but it doesn't say so, i never thought putting his name on it was a bad thing but maybe it is?  :huh:

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 04:38:42 PM »
We have our surname and home phone no. also mobile phone no.
plus written on the other side is ...   I am microchipped and Neutered so no value to thieves ... even though Molly and Georgie are not neutered yet we still had that put on, whether it's a deterrent or not to thieves who knows, I hope so!
Plus they have their microchip tag with contact no.
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »
I'd never even thought of putting our name on it........
Owner's name and address is a legal requirement.

... plus if it ever goes Pete Tong with OH then Alfie is mine!!  :005:  ;)

Just asked OH whose name we should put. He said, "Put yours because if you ever leave me, you'll take the dogs anyway!"  :o So glad we've got that sorted from the start. I think I'll leave him the kids though!  :005:

Offline maximus

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 04:51:35 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

i need to get some new tags then  :huh:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 04:55:41 PM »

[/quote]

i need to get some new tags then  :huh:
[/quote]
[/quote]

I just checked the Kennel Club website and it looks like Alfie needs a new one too so thanks for that Rhona! I might actually have to get him two as I can't fit my name, both phone numbers, my address and that he's chipped onto just one.. It would have to be a mega tag!  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 05:04:35 PM »
My dogs have tags with my phone number on one side & my address on the other side.  I have never had my dogs' names on their tags because someone told me years ago that they were more likely to get stolen if a potential thief knew their names.  Somehow that theory falls apart though because when we're out & about, anyone only needs to listen to me & they will soon learn my dogs' names.  I also think that if they were lost, they would find it reassuring if someone called them by their names.  It must be horrible being a lost dog & not being able to find your mummy, & then being called "Doggy" by everyone because they don't know your name   :'(.  I think I will get some new tags & put their names on, although I have no intention of losing either of them  ;)

Offline tjsheps

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »
Ours have our home phone number, mobile number, ' i am micro-chipped' and on the reverse our vets number and our surname

Tracey Blue and Charlie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 05:45:42 PM »
It may be a legal requirement to have address on but I am not going to!  >:( Have always been worried about potential burglar having phone no and address and phoning first to check you are out before coming to burgle!!  Even more paranoid nowadays when dog theft is so common.  >:D So, as far as I am concerned, my phone number would enable someone to contact me if Coco was lost, my ansafone message has my mobile number on it if I am out and if dog is taken to police station then she can be scanned to get address etc. if necessary.
Julie and Watson

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »
Mine have my surname, address and postcode, landline and mobile number, vets name, address and phone number and that they are microcipped - think that just about covers everyting  ::) :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me