Author Topic: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Re: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 06:00:08 PM »
We had to get legally correct tags when Tilly took her Kennel Club Good Citizen's tests.  You have to have a legal tag to take the test.  We put her name and our surname, plus our address and home phone number (the latter is not a legal requirement, nor is her name). She also has tag from when she was chipped: "I have been microchipped, please scan me".  The two tags make a pretty clinking noise when she moves and when she disappears into the woods I find it reassuring to hear her clinking, even if I can't see her  :lol:.

I don't think knowing her name would be any advantage to thieves (she would happily run to anyone who showed her any interest, whatever they called her  ::) ) and if she was lost she might find it comforting to be called by her real name by whoever found her.

Sue and Tilly

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 06:02:06 PM »
Mine have dogs first name and surname and our home phone number they are also chipped.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Waggy One

• Site Member
  • Beau
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
Beau has one with his name, my surname, house number, postcode, home number and 'microchipped' (even though he's not actually microchipped yet but he will be by the time we start going out and about!)

My aunties dogs have 'Reward' and her mobile numbers on theirs.  There was a big sign at the engravers telling you what had to be on the tag...I just didn't bother to read it  ph34r
Becs', Beau & Cookie xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 06:36:07 PM »
It may be a legal requirement to have address on but I am not going to!  >:( Have always been worried about potential burglar having phone no and address and phoning first to check you are out before coming to burgle!!  Even more paranoid nowadays when dog theft is so common.  >:D So, as far as I am concerned, my phone number would enable someone to contact me if Coco was lost, my ansafone message has my mobile number on it if I am out and if dog is taken to police station then she can be scanned to get address etc. if necessary.

Police stations don't usually scan for microchips - they often just hand the dogs over to the local pound - who don't have to scan them, or even try and contact the owners, either  ::) If the dog isn't claimed in seven days, it can be put up for rehoming :(

Molo did the KC Puppy Award - so he had to have a legally correct tag, and still has the same one  ;); the classes we have just started are provided by the local Council , so I expect the tags will be checked carefully there, too  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline amanda

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »
what sort of tags do you all have, as Indie's tag isn't big enough to have his address on as well as name, telephone number and microchipped writtend on it. I went to Timpson's the other day to look at pet tags and all they will put on is dog's name and telephone number.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 07:13:07 PM »

Police stations don't usually scan for microchips - they often just hand the dogs over to the local pound - who don't have to scan them, or even try and contact the owners, either  ::) If the dog isn't claimed in seven days, it can be put up for rehoming :(

They would only need to scan for the microchip if she has lost her collar as they would presumably use the phone number first! ;)  Anyway, if she was lost I would certainly have contacted the pound/police and everyone else I expect!  I'm still not happy to have my address on her tag - nothing to stop someone looking at the address and coming round to pinch her later! >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »
Daisy and Dill have the 'waterproof capsule' from here they also recall to the whistle (sometimes  ::) )  I then put a piece of paper with all the info printed on inside it - as you can see from this it takes some wear   :005: :005: :005:

Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 07:30:27 PM »

They would only need to scan for the microchip if she has lost her collar as they would presumably use the phone number first! ;)  Anyway, if she was lost I would certainly have contacted the pound/police and everyone else I expect!  I'm still not happy to have my address on her tag - nothing to stop someone looking at the address and coming round to pinch her later! >:(

We didn't want to put our address on ours either for similar reasons we checked with the class we take ours to and they said address isn't important providing you have contact numbers, though now I am going to ring the KC tomorrow for correct info.

Saturday Molly passed her Bronze and Silver KC good citizen dog scheme, and Georgie was also entered in Bronze  with said i.d tags .... both tags were checked on the day by two officials and previous to that at the training classes we attend....
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »
We've got Max's name, our address & mobile no. & the fact that he's chipped - just about fits!!  :005:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 08:16:21 PM »
Snoopy just got his name and our contact numbers on his, but after reading all the other information I guess I'm off to the engravers for more information to be put onto new tags :005:

cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 08:16:44 PM »
The dogs name and our phone number

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 08:45:47 PM »
what sort of tags do you all have, as Indie's tag isn't big enough to have his address on as well as name, telephone number and microchipped writtend on it. I went to Timpson's the other day to look at pet tags and all they will put on is dog's name and telephone number.

I got Molo's from the KC - there was a flier in with his KC Registration documentation  ;) Its bone shaped, and has our surname/address (first line and postcode) on one side, and my home and mobile nos on the other. It was expensive compared to local engravers and the Jolleys machine - but it still going strong two years later. I remember we had to replace Shebas on a regular basis  ::)

I also have tags made up when we go on holiday with her - mobile number, plus a the address where we stay and a land line number (usual a friend or family member living nearby) - we get these done at the local engraver; its cheaper  :005:
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 09:34:29 PM »
Phone number and address - he is microchipped too though. I thought that was enough?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »
Mine just have my landline no. and mobile no. on one side and 'I'm microchipped and neutered' on the other side. Our dog warden said that was sufficient as I could be contacted whatever.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 09:40:58 PM »
Phone number and address - he is microchipped too though. I thought that was enough?

The law states "name and address of the owner"; so if a Council wanted to get really picky, they could seize your dog and treat it like a stray if it had a tag without this on - although I doubt this has ever actually happened if a dog is under control and has a tag with some form of owner identification on  :-\

linky  ::)
Oldies Club