Author Topic: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?  (Read 11280 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »

Police stations don't usually scan for microchips - they often just hand the dogs over to the local pound - who don't have to scan them, or even try and contact the owners, either  ::) If the dog isn't claimed in seven days, it can be put up for rehoming :(

They would only need to scan for the microchip if she has lost her collar as they would presumably use the phone number first! ;)  Anyway, if she was lost I would certainly have contacted the pound/police and everyone else I expect!  I'm still not happy to have my address on her tag - nothing to stop someone looking at the address and coming round to pinch her later! >:(

Same here, and also I live alone and if I was out looking I would have my mobile with me so I can be reached (and even if someone calls my home phone it can be linked to my mobile).

Bit of advice though is if you do lose your dog apart from informing the police and dog warden who will note it on their registers, visit the kennels where strays are taken to as often as you can as it has been known for them not to be recorded properly!

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 09:48:03 PM »
I've only got our surname and landline number on ours.

Think it's time for new tags!!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 09:51:10 PM »
what sort of tags do you all have, as Indie's tag isn't big enough to have his address on as well as name, telephone number and microchipped writtend on it. I went to Timpson's the other day to look at pet tags and all they will put on is dog's name and telephone number.

I have large oval ones from identitag (brass ones and plastic --- I carry spares on long walks just in case I lose them)

http://www.identitag.co.uk/Petidtag/index.htm

If you can put a mobile no. on there as Ruby got lost twice one month (off on a binbag hunt ::)) and was picked up by passersby who rang me while I was out looking for her
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 09:52:01 PM »
Bit of advice though is if you do lose your dog apart from informing the police and dog warden who will note it on their registers, visit the kennels where strays are taken to as often as you can as it has been known for them not to be recorded properly!

This is what I meant really, Penny - I think there have been people have been horrifed to discover that their dog has been rehomed despite being chipped/tagged - fortunately, theses cases are rare, but some of the marketing does make a microchip out to be fail-safe, and so instill a false sense of security :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 09:58:15 PM »

This is what I meant really, Penny - I think there have been people have been horrifed to discover that their dog has been rehomed despite being chipped/tagged - fortunately, theses cases are rare, but some of the marketing does make a microchip out to be fail-safe, and so instill a false sense of security :(

Some pounds are on the sloppy side as well --- more than you think ::) Beware if you're on/near a border between authorities as its worth checking other areas as they don't share info.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 10:00:36 PM »
It may be a legal requirement to have address on but I am not going to!  >:( Have always been worried about potential burglar having phone no and address and phoning first to check you are out before coming to burgle!!  Even more paranoid nowadays when dog theft is so common.  >:D So, as far as I am concerned, my phone number would enable someone to contact me if Coco was lost, my ansafone message has my mobile number on it if I am out and if dog is taken to police station then she can be scanned to get address etc. if necessary.

Police stations don't usually scan for microchips - they often just hand the dogs over to the local pound - who don't have to scan them, or even try and contact the owners, either  ::) If the dog isn't claimed in seven days, it can be put up for rehoming :(

Sorry to contradict and I can only speak for my Constabulary, but we have a scanner in each Police Station that is equipped to recieve strays, (before they are collected by the pound). The chips are suppossed to be located in the same place however sometimes they can work there way down the leg, which can lead to them been missed. All our front desk staff are trained to use the scanner and the correct procedures if a chip is found. However one thing we do come across is that when the owner is contacted they decline to come and pick the dog up!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 10:06:09 PM »
Sorry to contradict and I can only speak for my Constabulary, but we have a scanner in each Police Station that is equipped to recieve strays, (before they are collected by the pound).

I know forces vary - but no stations here are equiped to take in strays at all  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 10:29:38 PM »
Billy has two tags. One with his name, our address and land line number on it. The other one is a " petsafe" tag with a telephone number which is answered 24/7 365  ;)

Offline janey

• Site Member
  • it wasn't me,honest
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »
we only have mollys name and our home number on the other side
love Janey and Molly xxx

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2006, 12:49:08 PM »
Just to update that it is law to have your address on the tag

I rang the KC today and the first person I spoke to said it's not a good idea to put your address on it and as long as you have contact numbers it should be ok, as she was a bit vague on this I asked to speak to someone from the KC good citizen dog scheme who may know for definite and yes you have to include your address ... house name or no. is ok plus postcode so am now going to have that put on mine today ... no wonder it's a bit confusing when one says one thing and someone else says something else  :-\ ..... I will have to fit it on the back of the microchip tag though as no room on the other one.
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2006, 12:53:22 PM »
Dyl's getting micro-chipped at the end of the month.
At the mo we have a barrel with his name, our address and a contact phone number but we want to "upgrade" to a nice engraved one when he's out of his puppy colour. I imagine we'll be putting his name on it as I think it's nicer and as said by someone else, having someone not know his name doesn't stop him from going over to say "hi".

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006, 01:39:32 PM »
Funny you should mention www.identitag.co.uk, but Pringle lost her tag and I ordered a new one from them for the first time on Monday.  Very impressed with the service.  It arrived this morning, is nice and solid and well engraved and price was about the same as you would pay in a normal engraving place.  I just had her name and our mobile number engraved on it.

She is also registered with Petback and wears their disc as well which gives a telephone number which is manned 24/7 and her registration number.  She is also microchipped. 
Ann and Pringle

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
On Indie's we have his name and our phone numbr - Hamish has an extra silver tag with ON MEDICATION on it, and the vets phon number.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2006, 01:50:20 PM »
Police stations here takes strays in, and then will take them to th dog home or pound.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2006, 01:53:51 PM »
Melly's tags have our surname, town, postcode, home fone number and Please Scan on them she's also got her microchip tag on too.
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly