Author Topic: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?  (Read 11323 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2006, 11:21:05 PM »
I'd like to know if anyone has been fined at all re not having an address on their dog tag :rolleyes:

Over to sarahp for the answer to that one. That was her "useless piece of information"!  :blink:

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2006, 11:27:30 PM »
New tag for Indie too then ::)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2006, 11:35:53 PM »
Also I checked with my council (i.e the dog warden himself) and they agreed that its fine that you don't have to have your address on the dog tag (just as I don't have my address in full view on my luggage) --- as a single woman on my own I refuse to as well!

My OH's best mate is a dog warden in York. It was him who advised us to have name & address ( or house number/postcode) on the tag as the local council are VERY keen to enforce the law when it comes to unsupervised/stray dogs. Although it's highly unlikely Trixie would wander away from us (she's a home bird!) it's a chance that we can't afford to take. £3200  :o :o :o

Mary.

I know here that as long as you have contact details they're fine (which means phone nos only if thats what you want to do) and would rather return your dog to you as quickly and easily as possible than faff around fining you. They don't seem to fine those that don't have a tag at all unless they see the dog in the pound several times (and I know someone who's dog was a houdini and was picked up even more than that who didn't have her address on the tag but phone nos and was never fined) so why fine someone who you can return the dog to with just a simple phone call if they don't have the address on their tag.

I guess am prepared to take the risk on this one (and would argue the toss in court as well re my personal safety is more of a priority)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2006, 11:39:40 PM »
It was brought to my attention when training Max for his Kennel Club Good Citizen Bronze award that his tag was incorrect and not only could he be failed for his bronze award that it was illegal.  ph34r
I had no idea, I thought I'd done the right thing having his name on, our house number and postcode and my telephone number.  My surname was the missing item.  I'd got my dogs designer tags so didn't want to scrap them so I got a additional tag done with my Surname on, which apparently will suffice. While I was doing that I added Please Scan Me too.

As this was pointed out to me just before we got Barney he has a totally legal single tag!  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2006, 11:47:14 PM »
Have just looked at out council website and it says:

"Treat your pet to a good quality collar and make sure it has a disk attached with an up-to-date telephone number and/or address.  This is a requirement by law."

which suggests as they told me that tel. nos are fine for them but the tag is the legal requirement as far as they're concerned
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2006, 12:01:33 AM »
Ours have Our surname , post code , Home phone number and mobile . As for these pounds checking for micro chips Ive read too much where some dogs have almost got to the pts stage  >:D just because pound staff dident check the lists to see which dogs they had in and dident bother to scan  >:( some even claimed not to have a scanner . I can buy a microchip scanner for just £108  ::) theres no excuse why a goverment pound shouldent have one .as I read someone kindly bought that particular pound one  ::)
I Like those vet tags ive not found where you cn buy them seperate though  :-\
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2006, 07:40:38 AM »
Personally as I have to buy tags anyway, I'm getting them engraved with my surname, house number and postcode and mobile phone number. (That way unscrupulous people can't just ring my house and come round when I'm out!)

These laws rules are old and out of date and do not take account of mobile phones, microchipping etc being widespread.  If someone is unscrupulous, there is nothing to stop them from finding out your address from the postcode and number - as anyone who shops on the internet will know.  There are numerous databases that can give you that information very easily if you want it!  ;)

I agree with PennyB.  I live alone too and believe you have to take sensible precautions for personal safety.  Just as I do not carry my driving licence with me because it has my address on it in case my handbag was nicked with house keys (very helpful) or have my name and address visible on luggage, I will not be putting address or postcode on Coco's collar.   ;)

I think the only more or less failsafe solution to this is to make microchipping compulsory and bring back (free) dog licences so that lost/stray dogs can be identified easily.
Julie and Watson

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2006, 07:55:29 AM »
I'd like to know if anyone has been fined at all re not having an address on their dog tag :rolleyes:

Over to sarahp for the answer to that one. That was her "useless piece of information"!  :blink:

not a clue  :005: :005:  but I will put my deer-stalker hat on and get back to you  ;) :shades:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline AnnB

• Site Member
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2006, 08:02:46 AM »
Bella's new tag arrived in the post yesterday.

We were also told that she could fail her Good Citizen Bronze without it. The OH ordered it at the vets and it was delivered to home. It has our address, surname and phone number. She has a separate tag that says she has been microchipped, the two make a lovely jingly noise, and have severely curtailed her duck catching ability. Thats her excuse anyway!

The company we used were www.pettags.co.uk

Having said that, the OH was told last week at training that the examiner that they are going to use, doesn't strictly enforce the tag rule!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2006, 08:24:28 AM »
I think the only more or less failsafe solution to this is to make microchipping compulsory and bring back (free) dog licences so that lost/stray dogs can be identified easily.

Our local council offers a registration scheme whereby you pay about 4 quid and it allows you so many free returns so you don't have to pay pound fees,and of course they would have your address as part of this so wondering if some form of registration would be better.  In NZ you have to register your dog on an annual basis for dogs with the local authority rather than one-off license, and then dogs have a special tag displayed. In some areas of NZ you have to have a permit to keep more than 1/2 dogs.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2006, 08:25:52 AM »
my point being, ALL of us flout laws, and it's up to us what we find acceptable.

Speak for yourself - I have had this debate on other forums, as it genuinely astounds me that the majority of people think it is acceptable to break laws they don't agree with - a slipppery slope to anarchy imo  ;)

And before anyone asks - no, I don't speed, copy CD's or download from dodgy music websites either  ph34r

(sorry, off topic, but I was being labelled under the "ALL" umbrella  ;))
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2006, 08:30:53 AM »
my point being, ALL of us flout laws, and it's up to us what we find acceptable.

Speak for yourself - I have had this debate on other forums, as it genuinely astounds me that the majority of people think it is acceptable to break laws they don't agree with - a slipppery slope to anarchy imo  ;)

Well, I freely admit not to being so "law abiding" as Rachel - wouldn't call myself an anarchist though.  I just choose to exercise my own judgement, choice and common sense!  Anyway, time to go and rob some sub post offices.  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »
God what have I started?!  ph34r  I only really wanted to know if house number and postcode was enough instead of full address! And whose surname we should use.
Joules - I know people can find out my full address from my number and postcode which is why I haven't put my home phone number on the tags. The argument was people could ring your house and burgle you whilst you were out. They shouldn't be able to find my phone number as it is ex-directory and registered under my OH's surname. And tbh I think I've got more chance of being burgled or worse in my own home by an opportunist criminal than by someone who has read my dogs' tags!  ;)

And I will freely admit to breaking other laws every day! But I'm no where near being an anarchist. In fact I'm married to a  :police:
and he breaks laws too. (Hence the points on his licence for speeding.  :D )

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »
After the comments I checked this out with our local Police and Council. In our County it is suffient to have a contact number only on the tag. The fact that the dogs are microchipped and the full contact details are held on record is also sufficient so long as you put on the tag that the animal is microchipped. Apparently this can very greatly from County to County.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2006, 02:56:46 PM »
After the comments I checked this out with our local Police and Council. In our County it is suffient to have a contact number only on the tag. The fact that the dogs are microchipped and the full contact details are held on record is also sufficient so long as you put on the tag that the animal is microchipped. Apparently this can very greatly from County to County.

Thats really wierd/interesting; I'm off to do some more research as I'm totally confused now  ::) ::) ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club