Author Topic: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?  (Read 11282 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: What do you have engraved on your dogs' tags?
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2006, 03:08:26 PM »
I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread ph34r All 4 of mine are chipped and they only wear their microchip tags. I had to get tags made up so they could sit their good citizen awards but thats the only time they wear them
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2006, 03:20:38 PM »
my point being, ALL of us flout laws, and it's up to us what we find acceptable.

Speak for yourself - I have had this debate on other forums, as it genuinely astounds me that the majority of people think it is acceptable to break laws they don't agree with - a slipppery slope to anarchy imo  ;)

And before anyone asks - no, I don't speed, copy CD's or download from dodgy music websites either  ph34r

(sorry, off topic, but I was being labelled under the "ALL" umbrella  ;))

All of us do - even using time at work to post on internet sites is technically defrauding your workplace if you take things to that conclusion. ::)
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
All of us do - even using time at work to post on internet sites is technically defrauding your workplace if you take things to that conclusion. ::)

Nope - can't do that, either; its filtered so I can't log in  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2006, 05:28:04 PM »
I don't either. The thing is, I also don't fel the need to tell everyone lse that because they are breaking the law by not having loads of information on their dogs tags, that it's the first step to anarchy. I also resent the assumption that because one does that, that one automatically downloads music illegally, or whatever else. ::)

You did this in another thread about how you'd have to tell your daughter that people were this that and the other, you do seem very focused on decrying others' reasons for doing things rather than examining your reasons why you feel the need to keep inferring that you are somehow morally superior.

I'll leave it there, I don't want any more of your pm's. ;)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2006, 05:40:20 PM »
The Council's Dog Warden Service is responsible for dealing with lost dogs in the area. Once a lost dog is reported, the Dog Warden is called and collects the dog. The dog is then checked to see if it has been microchipped, if the owners information is available the dog is then returned to it's owner as soon as possible. The Council can microchip your dog for a fee of  £14.

That's all it says on our council website - I have to say I highly doubt anyone would get fined, I've certainly never heard of it happening and have dealt with numerous cases of lost dogs through work - the vast majority of whom are reunited with their owners.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2006, 06:47:12 PM »
I don't either. The thing is, I also don't fel the need to tell everyone lse that because they are breaking the law by not having loads of information on their dogs tags, that it's the first step to anarchy. I also resent the assumption that because one does that, that one automatically downloads music illegally, or whatever else. ::)

You did this in another thread about how you'd have to tell your daughter that people were this that and the other, you do seem very focused on decrying others' reasons for doing things rather than examining your reasons why you feel the need to keep inferring that you are somehow morally superior.

I'll leave it there, I don't want any more of your pm's.

As you have blocked my PM's, its a fair assumption that you won't be receiving any  ::)

It seems that you consider it acceptable to generalise about people,

Quote from: shonajoy
my point being, ALL of us flout laws, and it's up to us what we find acceptable.

Quote from: shonajoy

...but not for someone to defend themselves when that generalisation is inaccurate and considered offensive (yes, it is offensive to me when it is assumed that I break the laws my career involves enforcing).

You often defend the practice of veterinary clinics when they are criticised - its just professional integrity, not moral superiority  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2006, 08:42:18 PM »
Just to lighten the note i thought you (iwlass) types doggy music websites and i thought wow i didn't know they did music just for dogs and then i read it properly and it's dodgy ph34r ph34r.Oops.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2006, 09:10:09 PM »
I would rather reveal some limited information about myself in the hope that my dog(s) would soon be returned to me. Anyone interested in stealing my dogs is not going to be bothered about whether they have tags or not. I am happy with the following information on my dogs tags

Surname
House No. & Postcode
Home Phone Number

and on the reverse

Vet's phone number
payment guaranteed -

- I've put that on there in the hope that if one of my dogs were hurt and time was of the essence she could be treated whilst trying to locate me.

Yes, a burglar could see my dogs tag, ring my home and find that I was out, but I think that rather far fetched - maybe I'll eat my words one day!

Shona & Rachel, we know you will always have differing opinions but for the sake of keeping a peaceful board, please just agree to disagree. This is not BB  ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2006, 10:24:48 PM »

And before anyone asks - no, I don't speed,

:005: :005: sorry but this made me chuckle. So you don't, or have never done 31mph in a 30mph zone  :shades: :005: :005: Come on!!  :lol: ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »
The Council can microchip your dog for a fee of  £14.

we're lucky in our area as the council microchip for free
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2006, 11:08:54 PM »
The Council can microchip your dog for a fee of  £14.

we're lucky in our area as the council microchip for free

Wow that's good! Mind you, our vets only charged £13.50 so it wasn't too bad! A lot cheaper than I was expecting.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »
Rachel, my point being that no-one is perfect - illustrating my example beautifully is the thread where *gypsies* were accused of causing damage and mess to property, at which you pointed out that gypsies were peaceable and it was travellers who were the bad 'uns! ::) Generalisation central, but that's ok?! I find it VERY offensive when you categorise a whole group of people in that way.

Yet, when I say I won't be complying with a law I consider unsafe, I'm accused of obviously downloading music illegally, and god knows what else. For someone who supposedly is involved in doing what you allegedly do, I find your generalisations and supposations downright concerning.

I think you are well aware why I blocked you from sending me pm's....and I'll take Michele's advice and bow out of this now before I say somthing I'll regret.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2006, 09:03:43 AM »
Rachel, my point being that no-one is perfect - illustrating my example beautifully is the thread where *gypsies* were accused of causing damage and mess to property, at which you pointed out that gypsies were peaceable and it was travellers who were the bad 'uns! ::) Generalisation central, but that's ok?! I find it VERY offensive when you categorise a whole group of people in that way.

Yet, when I say I won't be complying with a law I consider unsafe, I'm accused of obviously downloading music illegally, and god knows what else. For someone who supposedly is involved in doing what you allegedly do, I find your generalisations and supposations downright concerning.

I have never generalised about anyone - if you read both my posts carefully you will see that I stated that travellers "have a reputation" (I made no comment on whether I believe the reputation to be true, which I don't) and that "I don't download music illegally" (no mention of what I believe YOU do).

If I said one of my posts "we ALL hit our dogs with sticks" and then reiterated "All of us do" when that statement was challenged - then I'm certain I would be on the receiving end of some pretty harsh comments for my assumption - why am I being castigated for defending myself against a generalisation that I find equally offensive  :huh:

Shona, I accept that your life experiences lead you to believe that everyone breaks the law in some way - but to state based on your experiences that "everyone does" could be considered defamatory by law abiding people, and that was the basis of my objection.

Apologies to mods and others for taking this thread off topic and souring the tone; I need to learn to accept personal accusation more graciously, and not defend my position :-\.
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2006, 09:09:04 AM »
I'm locking this thread temporarily until I have time to edit out all the off-topic argy bargy ;)
Jane