Author Topic: Lupi Harnesses  (Read 13550 times)

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« on: April 11, 2003, 10:46:32 AM »
Just posted something about these on another site and it was suggested by pammy to post on here as well.

I bought one of these for Ebbie a couple of weeks ago now - it's the only bit of training i have never been able to stop ebbie from doing - pulling on the lead - i've tried everything, read about these in one of the dog magazines and thought for £7.00 it's worth a try.  (I did try a halti a few yrs back and she was so stressed on it - i couldn't put her through it, rather have her pulling).  Also thought that now i have finn - i just wouldn't be able to cope with 2 dogs pulling me round the park lol (and yes finn is already taking after his mum on this one  ::) he'll end up with one as well once he is fully grown - although still plenty of time to try and train him out of it).

And my god - what a difference - i'm not saying it's all roses - especially when i first put it on, she still does her mental bit and struggles to the door, but once outside - she's a different dog, as soon as she feels the pressure on her chest - she goes slower.  It doesn't seem to get caught up in featherings (although i do make sure i trim her armpits so to speak).  One word of advice though - go for the small, i bought medium and it's far too big (follow the instructions to cut down), it's still a little bit loose - which doesn't matter when they are on the lead, but they go really loose when off (finn's fav game is trying to catch hold of ebbie's lead).

So for anyone out there - who has problems - try one - not saying it's the answer for everyone but who knows - it worked for me  ;D

Nikki x                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 11:12:31 AM »
Several of my grooming "clients" have Lupis - they are also meant to be v good for dogs with back problems apparently. The only drawback I can see with them is that being a harness, they do tend to matt up the coat underneath so probably would be no good for those Cockers with heavy coats and/or show dogs. Worth a try though for those who can't get on with Haltis etc :)                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 03:37:53 PM »
The only drawback I can see with them is that being a harness, they do tend to matt up the coat underneath so probably would be no good for those Cockers with heavy coats and/or show dogs.

This is my fear with harnesses Jane but Nicki seems to be having a good result with this one. Do any other members have a harness? If so what type and do they find it matt's the fur at all?

I'd love to find one that is suitable for Cockers as I'd use it on Jasper so I could take them both out together by myself! But I don't want it to matt the coat. Jasper loathed the kumfi head collar - was unbearable with it - and we did persevere so I wanted a harness. Might give the lupi a go.

Thanks Nicki ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 04:27:25 PM »
I would guess you'd be ok with a Lupi as your boys are regularly groomed so you'd catch any little tangles before they became big matts ;) I don't think the Lupi gets tangled up in the feathering so much as the straps cause a bit of friction rubbing against the hair which can cause matts, but then the dogs I see that use them are not ones which are brushed out every day which must make a difference ;D                    
Jane

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 04:32:48 PM »
Mum used a harness similar to the Lupi ones on her terrier and it rubbed her 'arm pits' and made them sore.  She's a lot less hairy than a spaniel though.  I use a Canac harness on Amber  ::)                    

Offline viv

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 04:37:35 PM »
Hi,
I put William in a Lupi and it worked well until he became VERY sore under his leg (only on one side)... i took him to the vet last week and he said it was rope burn from the Lupi so came away with cream to rub in the sore...clearing up now but won't go back to it.  Again i have tried everything to stop Will's from pulling and so far nothing seems to help :-
Viv                    
Viv and William send love and wags

Offline Jo W

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 04:50:47 PM »
Hi,
I put William in a Lupi and it worked well until he became VERY sore under his leg (only on one side)... i took him to the vet last week and he said it was rope burn from the Lupi so came away with cream to rub in the sore...clearing up now but won't go back to it.  Again i have tried everything to stop Will's from pulling and so far nothing seems to help :-
Viv

The Lupi harnesses rub because they're not 'fixed' and as the ropes tighten and loosen, they rub.  Mum tried a Canac harness next and because these are fixed (you alter them to fit the dog's body) they don't rub.  I don't know whether harnesses stop dogs pulling, but they do save dogs from damaging their throats.  :)                    

Offline Christine

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 05:28:02 PM »
Excuse my thickness ::) whats a lupi harness????  We bought a harness for jasper that is metal with black rubber pads that goes round his chest and under his legs.  Is this the same thing?

::) ::) ::)useless me again (I am blonde though)                    
Jaspers mummy :)

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2003, 06:18:26 PM »
Hi christine - it's something similar - lupi is just the brand name.

As for the soreness - doesn't seem to be affecting ebbie at all - maybe cos her fur is so thick, or maybe it's because it's slightly too big so loosens as soon as she doesn't pull.

And the matting - ebbie gets groomed regularly as well so if it did tangle it a little bit - it would be brushed out every day.

I did look for the one with the rubber padding - but my local pet store only stocked the lupi, but now that i now a harness like this works - if i do find that ebbie gets sore - i can look for one that has padding - there are some - just can't find the mag to tell you all.  After my experience with a halti - i didn't want to spend loads of money only to find it made no difference.  The harness makes such a difference to me - that i would now spend more - if i can find a suitable one.

Nikki xx                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2003, 07:21:52 PM »
I use a harness on Jimmy....not sure of the brand but it is made of 3/4 inch strapping......and yes, it does cause matting under the armpits. Unfortunately I haven't had the success that Jakieboy has had re the pulling.

Jimmy is mostly ok on the lead but in certain circumstances is the worst puller imaginable. From the car to the park he is a nightmare.....a couple of times pulling so badly he's walking on his hind legs. The harness worked fine at first..... until he found a new way of pulling was required...using the shoulders rather than the neck. When I tried going back to a normal collar and lead he fell on his head, he'd got so used to pulling using his shoulders for power with the harness ! As Jo says, I'm primarily using the harness now to prevent neck injury as it doesn't stop the pulling.

I had one disastrous attempt at using a halti.....might try again though soon as he seems to be getting worse rather than better. I've had other cocker owners telling me I'm wasting my time even attempting to try and curb pulling cos that's what cockers do....... but surely it's worth persisting with ? I've tried all the usual things: stopping and making him sit, turning back to the car (even putting him back in it) and also walking in a figure 8 .....he does as I say but as soon as we head towards the park again his desperation to get there takes over and after a few paces of walking to heel he's off again ! I'm considering getting a trainer to help me soon as I feel I've exhausted every avenue now.

If anyone can reccomend a harness that doesn't cause matting or burning I'd be very grateful !                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2003, 09:10:43 PM »
Colin

You should persevere. I think from what you have said you have a really good tool available to you. As soon as Jimmy starts pulling towards the park - go straight in the other direction, even if it means he never makes it to the park. You should gradually be able to get closer and closer without him pulling. He sees the park as his reward and excitement and pulling is getting him what he wants.

My problem is the two together - Jasper pulls and Buddy follows. Alone they are much better :-                    
Pam n the boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2003, 10:28:58 PM »
I tried the lupi with vegas but didn't like it at all. the protective bits kept slipping forward leaving the rope to rub against him. I have another harness, mikki one i think which is marginally better but the fight we have to get it on just isn't worth it. Absolutely loved the halti but they don't do a size that fits him well. I have also tried the walking backwards, figure of 8 etc but it doesn't really make any difference and when he pulls, he practically crawls along the ground making a horrible throaty noise                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 10:32:50 PM »
Thanks, Pammy...........he is so good in many ways but this pulling is really starting to bug me ! >:(

The other day I parked directly opposite the park gate, every time we went to cross the road he'd start pulling so I'd turn back, make him sit on the kerb again for a bit then try again. I did this for 10 minutes.....god knows how many times we did it. Even after all this he was no better.....with time ticking away on my pay and display ticket I gave in. Up until a few weeks ago he would have started to walk to heel after a couple of times (albeit with a rather strange waddle ! ;D)......I can't understand why he's suddenly got so bad.

He's at his worst when he needs a poo in the mornings ( I haven't got a garden, so can almost understand this ) but it still happens when he doesn't. I think I will dig out the halti and if that fails get the trainer in. Maybe I should clip the lead to his top knot.....am sure that would work ! ;D                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 10:46:53 PM »
Oh, yes......anyone thinking of using an extendable lead on a puppy.....DONT DO IT.......I'm sure this is what has caused Jimmy to be so bad now. His instinct is now to pull thinking the lead will extend when he does it.....the biggest mistake I made with him !                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Lupi Harnesses
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 11:21:49 PM »

Oh, yes......anyone thinking of using an extendable lead on a puppy.....DONT DO IT.......I'm sure this is what has caused Jimmy to be so bad now. His instinct is now to pull thinking the lead will extend when he does it.....the biggest mistake I made with him !

Absolutely right Colin. Flexi leads are only any good when they understand recall and not pulling out of control in the first place ;D                    
Pam n the boys