Author Topic: How much does your dog weigh?  (Read 17408 times)

Offline Quinny40

• Site Member
Re: HOW MUCH DOES YOUR DOG WEIGH?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 11:57:28 AM »
Vets opinions on weight seem to vary so much. dave was weighed recently and came in at 15.08kg. vet said he had a good profile considering we don't work him.

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 12:07:01 PM »
Ada 5,5 yrs = 12.5kgs
Emma 4 yrs = 11kgs
Kukka 3 yrs = 12 kgs
Helmi 1 yr = 14 kgs ( :005:)
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2006, 01:12:51 PM »
The weights do vary a lot and have seen in previous threads that the best judge is to be able to feel their ribs and that they have a waist! Jurra is very slight in structure and is about 10kg @ 2yrs Taliska has always been much bigger and is usally around 15-16Kg but is much stockier in his build. hes 3

Have to admit that weighted him a couple of weeks ago and hes put weight on  (now nearly 17Kg) ph34r, not doing so much running round due to heat, so watching his weight and trying to get some more exercise done.
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline Wendy G

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2006, 04:41:13 PM »

Spud is 6 and weighs 19kg, and Bailey is 19 months and weighs 18kg.
Wendy, Bailey & Stella

RIP Raisen, Badger,Murphy & Spud

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2006, 08:28:07 PM »
Crikey - brace yourselves folks!!!!!!!

Parker weighs 19.4kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is not an ounce of fat on him - you can feel his ribs and he has a waist.  He is a really big dog though.  He seems massive compared to our last cocker Jeeves, but she was rally quite tiny.
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 02:52:38 PM »
Crikey - brace yourselves folks!!!!!!!

Parker weighs 19.4kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is not an ounce of fat on him - you can feel his ribs and he has a waist.  He is a really big dog though.  He seems massive compared to our last cocker Jeeves, but she was rally quite tiny.

Crikey all right.  Worker or show?  If show cocker - how tall at the shoulder and post some piccies!

Paddy is nine months old tomorrow  :luv: :luv: :luv: and weighs 10.9kg.  No idea how tall he is...

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 03:12:58 PM »
Dillon, 13 and a half months old, 13 kilos, stands 16" at the shoulders

edited to add : He is a show cocker

Petra

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »
No, Parker's not a show cocker - he's a rescue dog and I've posted some pics of him in the Rescue Dogs section under the "Kirsty & Winston" thread.

I've no idea how high he is at the shoulder but I'll measure him later and let you know!
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
At his heaviest, Boysie was 19.25k! he is tall though (about 18 inches high I think). You could feel his ribs, but his waist was a bit too thick. He's now about 18.5k, and we're going to try and get a little bit more off him.
Smudge is shorter than Boysie, and when we got her (another Many Tears ex puppy farmed dog) she was under 11k and very skinny. She's now about 13k, and should hopefully stay around that weight.

Offline AnnB

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »
Our Bella is a pocket cocker too. She is one in a couple of weeks and weighs 10.5 kgs. She stands about 14 inches at the shoulder. Her brothers and sister that we have seen are much bigger.

Offline timsean

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2006, 07:24:59 AM »
Hi All

TJ is 7.9 kg at 17 weeks and is not a Working dog.

Tim

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 08:40:48 AM »
It often worries me when vets say your cocker is overweight just because of what a set of scales may say. The test of weight should come from a physical exam and a history. Can they feel the ribs without having to prod and poke and what's the dogs diet and routine, what's the dog's build/height etc. If they can feel the ribs then the dog is fine. If not then s/he needs to shed a few pounds. Each cocker is different though - just like humans - and has this thread has shown very nicely.

Obese dogs are of course not being cared for properly and need special care to get them to a safe weight - but the weight is just one factor. If your dog gets plenty of exercise and gets fed quality food with the right kind and amount of treats and you can feel the ribs then it doesn't matter what s/he weighs. ;)

Sorry - off my soap box now ;)

I couldn't tell you what my boys weigh as I only weigh them at the vets just out of interest. What is interesting though is that looking at them you would say that Buds would weigh a lot more than Jasp as he is more stocky - but he doesn't they were at the last weigh in last summer - very similar in weight at around the 12 kg mark.

But I am intrigued now and might pop on the bathroom scales with them ;) :005:
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: How much does your dog weigh?
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 08:50:35 AM »
I can't feel Henry's ribs, he has no waist, he is a couch potato and seriously horizontal for of much of the day as he can get away with. I think things need to change.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 09:25:42 AM »
It often worries me when vets say your cocker is overweight just because of what a set of scales may say. The test of weight should come from a physical exam and a history. Can they feel the ribs without having to prod and poke and what's the dogs diet and routine, what's the dog's build/height etc. If they can feel the ribs then the dog is fine. If not then s/he needs to shed a few pounds. Each cocker is different though - just like humans - and has this thread has shown very nicely.

Obese dogs are of course not being cared for properly and need special care to get them to a safe weight - but the weight is just one factor. If your dog gets plenty of exercise and gets fed quality food with the right kind and amount of treats and you can feel the ribs then it doesn't matter what s/he weighs. ;)

Sorry - off my soap box now ;)

I couldn't tell you what my boys weigh as I only weigh them at the vets just out of interest. What is interesting though is that looking at them you would say that Buds would weigh a lot more than Jasp as he is more stocky - but he doesn't they were at the last weigh in last summer - very similar in weight at around the 12 kg mark.

But I am intrigued now and might pop on the bathroom scales with them ;) :005:

think we're all secretly obsessed with weight ;) will never disclose mine, but happy to throw jarv's around in public ;) :005:

i do agree - vets weights charts compare well with the antiquated charts doc's use for us based on yesteryear research!

i was thinking jarv was slightly too thin (that's a rarity in THIS household) but vet says fit and healthy and a perfect size which has eased my concerns  :D if you feed good food, exercise your dog and can feel the ribs easily and see a waist your dog is perfect.

dogs are like humans, each one is different (and i'm jealous mine has a speedy metabolism and small bones when his human mother is completely the reverse  :lol:)
helen & jarvis x

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: How much does your dog weigh?
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
Hurley is 10k and is 18 weeks (show type). When we picked him up 10 weeks ago he was 3.5k - they grow so quickly....

I think he is quite big for his age and he is certainly not the cuddly little cocker that I expected. First of all he hates cuddles and secondly he is not little!!!! However I love him to bits - wouldnt change him for the world..

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."