Author Topic: Agility  (Read 5731 times)

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Agility
« on: July 10, 2003, 03:52:16 PM »
Poppy and I went to our first agility class last night and it was brilliant  :D

The class was held in a field on a farm and we had great fun trying to get our dogs to go through tunnels and over jumps. Poppy went absolutely nuts and loved it! I don't think I've seen her enjoying herself as much except when I play 'hunt the cheese' with her :) Her bum was wiggling the whole time and she was squeaking with excitement whenever she had to wait her turn. Can't wait for the class next week!  ;D

Does anyone else do agility? I think Dessie does it with her dogs but does anyone else do it?                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Agility
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 04:14:23 PM »
Nope - but I want to with Jazz! It sounds excellent fun! ;D

So did you manage to get Poppy through the tunnels and over jumps?  ;D                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Agility
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 04:19:31 PM »
No....we don't do agility but it sounds great.  Always love watching the agility as the dogs get SOOOOOOOO excited and it's brill to see them really enjoying themselves.

Where did you find out about it Fiona?  Would love Lottie to do it but 'Loopy' is her second name ;D                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Agility
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 04:28:49 PM »
She LOVED the tunnel Mike! When she was off the lead she kept running through it for the fun of it  ::) The jumps weren't such a success though, the first time she tried she just ran straight into it and it all fell down on top of her and she was a bit wary of it after that, but with a bit of encouragement (ie sausages ;)) she was jumping over very low jumps  :)

I did a search on the internet Mary and found a site about dog agility. It was ages ago though and I can't remember the site. I think someone (maybe Dessie) posted the link on COL  ??? I phoned quite a few places in Scotland and they all had waiting lists. This was the first club to have a place for me. I'll try to find the link for you.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Agility
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 04:33:26 PM »
She LOVED the tunnel Mike! When she was off the lead she kept running through it for the fun of it  ::)

Ah, thats lovely ;D Proves how much she enjoyed it doesnt it!

So did you guys get any training at this class then, on how to make Poppy go through the tunnel and over the jumps?  :D                    

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Agility
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 04:43:47 PM »
Here is the link Mary

http://www.agilitynet.com

Mike very kindly found it for me - thanks Mike  ;)

There were 2 trainers at the class and both of them compete in agility and were really good at teaching us. It was really good because there were only 6 of us beginers so it meant we all got lots of individual attention.

The dogs weren't supposed to go on the equipment unless there was someone supervising so I had to keep control of Poppy's tunnel urges  ;D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Agility
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 05:04:22 PM »
This is definitely one of those things i simply HAVE to have a go at - it sounds too much fun, both for me and the dogs, to miss out on. Now I dont have uni anymore, I've got no excuses  ;D                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Agility
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 05:48:34 PM »
Thats great Fiona ;D I was counting the days until Vegas was 1 so we could join the local agility club as I know he will LOVE it but on his 1st birthday he damaged his shoulder ::) After x-rays and the like he was declared fit and well a month later so on the morning of our first class he damaged it again ::) I went to watch last sunday and it looked great fun so we'll try again in a couple of weeks ;D They look like they have soooo much fun doing it.....I cant wait ;D                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Agility
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 07:00:34 PM »
Hi Fiona

Glad you enjoyed your first go at Agility  ;D  ;D

I've been doing it for around 6 years now - Sebastian absolutely loves it and I have also started with Douglas, although not doing that much with him as I'm still trying to fatten him up ::)  Sebastian really flies around the course now.

Have fun.

Dessie :D :D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline roy

• Site Member
Agility
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 10:18:16 PM »
Hi Mike,   Does that mean that u r going to do the tunnels, see saw and hurdles as well ???? Can we all come and take pics!!!!!                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Agility
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 10:55:53 PM »
Would be like doing an obstacle course wouldnt it Roy - if the supervisor wasn't looking, I might try! ;D But I'd be happy just to see my two having a go and enjoying themselves  ;)                    

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Agility
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 02:10:08 PM »
I also do agility with Elllie - she has been doing it since she was 9 months old - Caerphilly set that as the lower age lmit.

She absolutely loves it  ;D although she has struggled with the A frame - being very very small even for a cocker the idea of going up over 6ft terrified her for a while  :o but now she goes bombing over it like you would not beleive.

Now all she hears is the word agility as she is bouncing at the front door waiting to go :D  and when we arrive at the arm she is bouncing in the boot of the car dying to get out.

It really is fantastic fun and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to have a laugh - ad perhaps make a foll of themselves also!! I have lot count of the number of times I have run in one direction and Ellie the other!! :-[

It is good to hear from others who enjoy agility as there are no other cockers at the club (or so i have met so far) and I was wondering if anyone else enjyed this.                    

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!