Author Topic: car harnesses or guards  (Read 7829 times)

Offline carol

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« on: July 10, 2003, 10:41:36 PM »
I wondered how everyone restrains their dogs in the car.  I have tried a normal harness clipped onto the seat belt, but however I attach it Flynn always gets tangled up :P

I thought I might perhaps put him in the back (we've got a Honda estate).  Can anyone recommend any good guards that I could get, and what are the safest/best to get.

Thanks

Carol                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 10:46:07 PM »
Have you got a crate Carole, as that would be a good substitute???
Just an idea  :)

Gilly                    

Offline carol

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 10:56:01 PM »
No, we haven't got one anymore Gilly, we borrowed ours from a friend for a few months.  I have seen the car crates, but I'm not sure whether they're big enough for distances over an hour.                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 11:21:16 PM »
Carol, I would really recommend getting your own crate for Flynn if he travels in the back. A dog guard is ok for keeping him from jumping into the main of the car but a crate could offer far more protection if you were (heaven forbid) to be involved in an accident. Say for instance someone went into the back of you & it sprung the hatch open, Flynn would obviously be frightened and could take flight. Whereas in a crate, although shook up he would still be contained.
As long as you get one big enough (usually the  24 x 18 x 21 size is used by show folk) then he can travel happily in this - the same as show dogs do up & down the country every weekend of the year ;D                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 12:08:12 AM »
Carol,

I recently bought a crate the size that Michele mentions for £27 which is probably alot cheaper than a dog guard to be honest anyway  :) if you want details of where I got it let me know.

Gilly                    

Offline carol

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 09:39:02 AM »
Thanks Gilly and Michele.  I must admit I hadn't thought about the accident thing and Flynn escaping, doesn't bare thinking about.  Perhaps you could give me the link Gilly and I'll investigate that.

Carol                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 10:28:42 AM »
Hiya Carol,

If you are a member of Ebay here is the link to the crate

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...tegory=301&rd=1

Mine arrived this morning, arrived within a couple of days via Parcel Force. It was well packaged and very easy to put up. Butty hasn't been in a crate before, but showed no fear and went and sat straight in it  ;D
If your not a member of ebay let me know, they have a seperate website, but don't think the crates are quite as cheap via the website, tho i could be wrong.

Gilly

Gilly                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 11:42:52 AM »
Hi Carol,

Totally agree, a crate for travelling is excellent.  Luckily, Lottie has had hers from day one and LOVES it.  If we've been for a long walk and we get back to the car, she won't even have a drink until she's happily sat in her crate ::)....her little home ;).

Introduce it to her in the house first to let her get used to, I push toys through the top and make in fun for her.  Good luck ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 11:44:42 AM »
Gilly, I don't know whether i should hug you  ;D( i just became amember of ebay and bought a crate) or stamp on your foot!(because i am going to spend a fortune - aren't i! >:()

I think i will go for the hug option  :P! Will keep an eye out for liver cocker collectables for you! :-*                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 11:49:47 AM »
You can hug Mary too then Cbabe, as it was Mary who gave me the details as her friend had bought one to. Well worth it I think. I have left Buttys up in the kitchen with some bedding and some toys to see if she will go in it. She surprised me really as I didn't think at 10 months old she would take to it...but then again she is dead nosey...i was really giggling at her this morning when she just went straight in and sat in it in the middle of the living room floor while we all sat and ate our breakfast ::) ;D                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 12:13:29 PM »
Hugs to you too Mary :-*  :-*

I am sitting on my credit card now! - No - i - won't - spend - money!!!!!!!!! :'(                    
Clare

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 01:18:54 PM »
I just went onto ebay to buy one and the item has finished  :( Think you must have got the last one Clare  :-                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 01:44:38 PM »
Fear not Fiona.....this will be relisted. When I checked this morning there were 7 left. So add the item to your "items I'm watching" list and then go back in later on and try again. If its been relisted a box appears at the top and tell you its been relisted and you can click on that and then buy from there. I originally had this in my Items I'm watching list for 3 weeks and kept renewing the link until i was ready to buy one ;) :)

Gilly                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 02:34:38 PM »
I just went through and bought one - it had not finished really

I will have a look!                    
Clare

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
car harnesses or guards
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2003, 02:40:35 PM »
no - just checked they are available but you have to be logged on as a member to buy one - try loggin on first!

My order processed when it said it had finished and i have emailed the seller and he confirmed that my order is being despatched today!                    
Clare