Author Topic: Halti Harness sizing  (Read 10790 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Halti Harness sizing
« on: December 26, 2006, 01:35:55 PM »
Bought Billy the halti harness xmas eve. Got him the medium size one as that's what was recommended for a cocker, it's HUGE!!!!  Gonna have to take it back and swap it for a small >:D.

Anyone else using the halti harness?? halti size do you use? . I am quite surprised it doesn't fit as Billy isn't a small cocker at all  ::)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Halti Harness sizing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 02:37:09 PM »
Dog trainer gave me the halti harness (scrub that I did pay for it ::)) and I can't get it to stop slipping, as instructions said I have put a stitch in the side adjustments if it slips and still I was having trouble so gave up with it  :embarassed:  It's a small one.

Let me know if you have better luck than I did, I must go back to basics with the lead training - promise once her season has finished I will train and train and train every walk we go on.

Good luck with the harness

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
Is it the halti body harness that you can use with a double ended lead and attaches to the collar?

If so, I bought one recently for Reuben. I bought a small and there is plenty of spare room still. It also fits Casper and he is quite a big dog I think. (Must be around 16kgs.)

The box gave vague sizings - small for a JRT and medium for a lab.  :-\ It was only after I bought a small one and found the leaflet inside the box that I realised I should have bought a medium.  :005: Very glad I didn't though.  :D

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:51:08 PM »
I use medium halti's on GSD's so I'm not surprised it's too big ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 06:11:31 PM »
Hi  I bought a Halti for Honey the one that also clips to her collar just in case she slips it off, I ended taking her into the shop and trying them on even then  the small one was still to big so I put a tuck in it and sewed  it but the darn thing still rides up towards her eyes she hates it,  but will walk well on it. take it off and then she pulls like a train. I have found a Gencon Headcollar advertise on line has anyone tried these?.......I hate to keep having to use the Halti..but she just will not walk with out pulling on an ordinary lead (I have tried all sorts of the  lessons we were taught  at our classes....but will she listen NO...So back to the Halti..

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 06:55:43 PM »
Is it the halti body harness that you can use with a double ended lead and attaches to the collar?

Yes that's the one  :D

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 08:04:08 PM »
Hi  I bought a Halti for Honey the one that also clips to her collar just in case she slips it off, I ended taking her into the shop and trying them on even then  the small one was still to big so I put a tuck in it and sewed  it but the darn thing still rides up towards her eyes she hates it,  but will walk well on it. take it off and then she pulls like a train. I have found a Gencon Headcollar advertise on line has anyone tried these?.......I hate to keep having to use the Halti..but she just will not walk with out pulling on an ordinary lead (I have tried all sorts of the  lessons we were taught  at our classes....but will she listen NO...So back to the Halti..

Billy has the halti harness (pictured below) , not the one that goes over the nose, he hated that one, couldn't get him out of the door with it on  ::)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 10:38:43 PM »
Ok, question for the users of the Halti Body harness.  Has it stopped anyones dog pulling?

Sapphi is my biggest problem for pulling having been given a rubbish method for training lead walking when she was a pup. I've tried all sorts, including this harness. It did not make the slightest bit of difference. I'm using the Canny Collar at the mo which works well, and she'd doesn't bother about it as much as the halti headcollar.

I bought two of the Halti Body Harnesses, the other for Max. On the whole he walks very well, but can get excited if he see's someone he knows, so I use it on him. It does have a bit of an effect on him, but is that just because he's not a big puller anyway? But he can still pull in it. With him I continue to use it as I find the lead attached at two points makes it easier to handle him.

I really don't want to use a head collar with Max and Barney was I do feel that people think they are muzzles and given them a wide berth, as we found with Sapphi. Though being black and now using the Canny Collar it doesn't look so bad.

Be interested to know how everyone else finds it.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 10:55:22 PM »
tbh it seemed to work in the 1 2 1 session but that was hers and not a new one.

I think it does help but I wouldn't go as far to say it has stopped her pulling. I definately have more control when she's wearing it tho. (Which I must use it more often instead of being in a rush and thinking quick walk to field on flat collar and lead - dogs off lead quick walk back. So I'm to blame here I need more lead walking andd lots of training ;))

Hope that helps Sam

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 11:09:14 PM »
Ok, question for the users of the Halti Body harness.  Has it stopped anyones dog pulling?
Well I've only used mine twice, but I think the answer is no.  :D I think it is more of a training device (and I need more training to use a double ended lead!  ph34r ) than a prevention.  :-\
So whether long term use and training will stop them from pulling, I don't know.  :huh:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »
I used Billy's tonight. I know it's too big but I've hurt my back and couldn't face a walk of pulling tonight so I put his coat on and put the haness over the top - WOW!!! I found it to be fantastic!! Billy can't pull when he's wearing this, it's great ! The only pulling he can do is when he pulls to the side but he definately can't forward pull. I was amased at how quickly he accepted it and am very impressed. Billy very quickly realised he couldn't pull and soon stopped trying and we walked with the lead loose for a lot of the walk, every now and then I'd have to pull on the front bit. Without the double ended lead I think it would have been rubbish and I did have to use both hands on the lead.

I know I won't be able to take this one back now becuase it's been worn, so if anyone wants a medium halti harness (for a non cocker) then let me now and I'll post it to you.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 11:23:38 PM »

Do you mean in general or when they are wearing the harness??  :blink:

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 11:28:16 PM »

When wearing it. Looking at it I would think that when the dog goes to pull it should pull the strap on the chest tight through the ring that the lead is attached to. I've found that this doesn't happen. It just pulls the ring to one side. So there's nothing that prevents them from pulling. I've got two of these and both are the same so I can't say its down to a faulty harness.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 11:34:43 PM »

When wearing it. Looking at it I would think that when the dog goes to pull it should pull the strap on the chest tight through the ring that the lead is attached to. I've found that this doesn't happen. It just pulls the ring to one side. So there's nothing that prevents them from pulling. I've got two of these and both are the same so I can't say its down to a faulty harness.

When Billy went to pull i pulled on the lead at the front which stopped him, I think  :-\

Billy's moved to one side too but I thought that was because it was a bit big.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 11:46:42 PM »
I know I won't be able to take this one back now becuase it's been worn,
Why not? I would.  :005: As long as it is still clean, they're not going to mind/know.  ;)