Author Topic: Halti Harness sizing  (Read 10791 times)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Halti Harness sizing
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 11:51:20 PM »
I know I won't be able to take this one back now becuase it's been worn,
Why not? I would.  :005: As long as it is still clean, they're not going to mind/know.  ;)

It's not clean otherwise I would  :005:

He saw one of his friends and had a ten minute off lead play and managed to get a bit of dirt on it  ::)

Thinking about it though, is it safe to let them play whilst in the harness?  :-\

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 11:53:57 PM »
Jan. Give it a bit of a wash and stick it back in the box.  ;)

My boys have always worn harnesses and I leave them on if we walk over the fields. But if we go to the woods I take them off in case they get caught on something.  :-\

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 08:03:39 AM »
When wearing it. Looking at it I would think that when the dog goes to pull it should pull the strap on the chest tight through the ring that the lead is attached to. I've found that this doesn't happen. It just pulls the ring to one side. So there's nothing that prevents them from pulling. I've got two of these and both are the same so I can't say its down to a faulty harness.

This is exactly what I found - hence I tried putting a stitch in the side adjustments as they kept going loose as well. :huh:

I thought I was using it wrong so thanks for posting this Sam ;)

Offline Scootysmum

• Site Member
  • Scoots, mum Molly and sis Daisy on 3rd b-day!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 10:26:20 AM »
Hi  I bought a Halti for Honey the one that also clips to her collar just in case she slips it off, I ended taking her into the shop and trying them on even then  the small one was still to big so I put a tuck in it and sewed  it but the darn thing still rides up towards her eyes she hates it,  but will walk well on it. take it off and then she pulls like a train. I have found a Gencon Headcollar advertise on line has anyone tried these?.......I hate to keep having to use the Halti..but she just will not walk with out pulling on an ordinary lead (I have tried all sorts of the  lessons we were taught  at our classes....but will she listen NO...So back to the Halti..

Scoots has a gencon headcollar - it is fab, his trainer gave it to me, but you can buy them online. It's shaped like a figure of eight and just slips over his head and nose. It's definitely the best head collar we have used (the halti rode up into his eyes too much). Would recommend it to anyone with a puller!

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 04:35:32 PM »
Tried a halti (both types) for Sam but couldn't seem to find one that fitted properly. He pulls like a trooper, nearly pulled me over today when out as he saw a cat and sounds like darth vader when on the lead.

If anyone knows of any harness that is easy to use one handed (as I'm also walking Benji) could you let me in on the secret.
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 05:13:51 PM »
Jan. Give it a bit of a wash and stick it back in the box.  ;)

:005: I'll think about it  :005: :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 08:27:15 PM »
Sorry Chaps , been away and ill so missed this  ;)

I bought a halti-harness for Molo a year or so ago - started with a medium, thought it was too big so bought a small - that was definitely too small, so ended up e-mailing the Company of Animals asking for advice and had a brilliant e-mail back from one of the staff who also has a cocker spaniel and sent me a lovely picture of her dog modelling one correctly fitted  ;)

The central ring is designed to be stitched into position once fitted otherwise it slips and the harness will not work. This black strap does not need to be tight against the body - but the ring must be central and clipped to the collar. The tummy strap can be adjusted using the top adjusters and underneath strap so that the padded bits fit underneath the front legs and it is snug (two finger tightness like a collar) - excess strap can be cut off and the end resealed with a naked flame.

I began by using a double ended lead, but soon had no need too - and Molo has always walked wonderfully on the halti-harness with an ordinary lead clipped to the front ring despite pulling like a train on everything else; we are slowly graduating to lead walking on a normal collar now though  ;)

They are a real faff to fit at first, but once done, I am really pleased with the results - so they are worth persevering with if you have a dog that pulls  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »

I bought a halti-harness for Molo a year or so ago - started with a medium, thought it was too big so bought a small - that was definitely too small,

Hope you're feeling better , nothing worse than being ill during the festive season  >:D

When you say Molo's was too small, how do you mean? I bought Billy the small yesterday and it fits perfect I thought. They say it should be snug but you should be able to fit a couple of fingers in between, which I can so I have presumed it's ok???? I would have thought Billy was bigger than Molo too, maybe I'm wrong?? I do like it, it's working so far  :D

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 08:56:55 PM »
I bought Billy the small yesterday and it fits perfect I thought.
Reuben wears the small one too and it's not on the loosest fittings.  :-\

I just need to remember to pull on the front lead if he pulls, not the back one.  ph34r

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 09:35:40 PM »
When you say Molo's was too small, how do you mean?

The webbing was too narrow for his frame, really, and the padded sections for under the front legs didn't sit in the right place  :-\
the e-mail I got from C of A confirmed I needed the medium for an average sized cocker spaniel.........so I persevered with the medium until I eventually got it fitted.........but it helps if you have a patient dog  :005:
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 09:41:18 PM »
When you say Molo's was too small, how do you mean?

The webbing was too narrow for his frame, really, and the padded sections for under the front legs didn't sit in the right place  :-\
the e-mail I got from C of A confirmed I needed the medium for an average sized cocker spaniel.........so I persevered with the medium until I eventually got it fitted.........but it helps if you have a patient dog  :005:

Yes it is narrow, I would prefer a more supportive one i suppose. Who fitted it for you? or did you do it yourself?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »
Who fitted it for you? or did you do it yourself?

I fiddled, and fussed, and put it away for a few days and then fiddled and fussed some more, and took it off and tried again until eventually it fitted as described in the instructions  ph34r

It is not a product I would recommend, as there are now other products on the market that work in the same way without the complicated fitting -  but if you have one, it is definitely worth persevering with as it does work brilliantly  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 10:54:01 AM »
Sorry Chaps , been away and ill so missed this  ;)
The central ring is designed to be stitched into position once fitted otherwise it slips and the harness will not work.

Hope you are feeling better ;)

So this is where I was going wrong, ok I'll get it out the cupboard again and try it, got whole week without Jock so it'll be a lot easier to fiddle around with

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
It is not a product I would recommend, as there are now other products on the market that work in the same way without the complicated fitting -  but if you have one, it is definitely worth persevering with as it does work brilliantly  ;)

What other products? I have been scouring the internet and this forum. We have Pepsi who on one hand walks reasonably well on a lead but will pull in competition with Woody or if she sees a cat, bird, another dog etc. Woody on the other hand pulls so hard he is demented  ph34r We have tried all sorts or techniques and I have to admit that whilst I am pretty consistant OH gets  fed up and embarressed by him and shortens his lead and practically drags him along  ph34r which I hate (think we've had more rows over the dog pulling than anything the kids have ever done!) We currently have the Halti head harness as a regular harness worked well for Pepsi but not Woody. I don't like it though. On Woody he still tries to pull so it rides up to his eyes which worries me. He's pulled so hard that the webbing that goes through the link is already worn half through  ph34r. I just want to enjoy walks again and get him to a point where he can be trained. At the moment he is protesting and struggling so much he doesn't co-operate at all.  :huh:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 03:36:06 PM »

What other products? I have been scouring the internet and this forum.

Unsurprisingly, the Gentle Leader company have also brought out a no-pull harness that works on exactly the same principle as the Halti-harness, but with a lot less fiddling about  ;):

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?ID=75

I can't find a UK stockist online though  ph34r
Oldies Club