Author Topic: Collars  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Collars
« on: July 14, 2003, 09:34:01 PM »
Have been looking around for a new collar for Morgan as his current one is getting a bit shabby after so many visits to the beach  ::).  A lot of the collars available have these clips that you squeeze to release.  The collar he has just now is one which loosens and is pulled over his head - for some reason he hates having this done so the clip seems like a good idea.  However, I have reservations as to how safe these clips would be.  Do any of the COL members use this type of collar, and if so how safe are they??

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Collars
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 06:35:51 AM »
My two youngest wear these collars Shirley. I havent had any problems with mine as both of them need a little bit of pressure to release them. They have both wore them while going daft in the garden, rolling about on the beach, having a lark in the woods and it hasnt released itself. So if you are going to go for one, just make sure the clasp is sturdy. Dallas chewed the clasp on his halti and i just put it on thinking nothing of it but a few minutes along the road.......PING! Off it came with lead attached. I managed to scruff him before he got any ideas ;) ;D So if Morgan ever chews at the clasp, it would be safer to buy a new collar just in case.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Collars
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 10:15:21 AM »
Candy has one of these collars and I don't have any problems.  As soon as Georgia is old enough I'll change her to one of these too.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Collars
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 10:43:25 AM »
I use the snap on collars too - never had a problem with them except once when one naughty puppy chewed the buckle bit on one :) Most of ours are made by Canac & we have had them for years so it shows how long-lasting they are!                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Collars
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 11:40:44 AM »
I've got a canac one for Butty with one of the plastic release catches. I've never had a problem with mine either.
In fact i put it in the washing machine every now and then as well ;) ;D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Collars
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 12:01:16 PM »
me three - I use these too. I always give mine a quick tug after they've snapped into place just to make sure they're secure, but have never had any incidents in 2 years of using them where they've come free of their own accord  :)                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Collars
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 05:09:43 PM »
ditto what everyone has said - Millie has a Canac one aswell .. I did buy her a spnaking new green and yellow crufts one .. but it has a buckle and I have never really gotten the hang of it cos she wriggles  :-  so big thumbs up for snappy collars from me  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Collars
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 05:12:09 PM »
Ditto here too - just watch if you have a puller that they don't loosen it so they can slip it over their head ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Collars
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 11:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like this is the type of collar we'll be going for now.  This place is just great.  I'd probably never have bought one just in case they were unsafe.  It's great to find out about what has been tried and tested.
Thanks again.  

Oh, one more question - I think it was Colin who posted a link for the site where he got his car harness.  Unfortunately, I think it got lost in the data loss.  Anyone got any ideas which site it was?  
Morgan usually goes in the boot but we're going on holiday for a few days and will be in the car quite a lot.  He will probably sleep but wanted to have the harness so that he can watch the world go by for some of the time.  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Collars
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 11:08:10 AM »
Oh, one more question - I think it was Colin who posted a link for the site where he got his car harness.  Unfortunately, I think it got lost in the data loss.  Anyone got any ideas which site it was?  
Morgan usually goes in the boot but we're going on holiday for a few days and will be in the car quite a lot.  He will probably sleep but wanted to have the harness so that he can watch the world go by for some of the time.  :)

I've decided to get Poppy a harness too and haven't found a suitable one so far. All the harnesses I've seen in petshops attach to the seatbelt, but a friend of mine has one that plugs into the seatbelt plug-thing. I thought that would be much safer. It wouldn't take Poppy long to figure out that if she pulls gently on the seat belt it will stretch. My friend is on holiday though so can't ask her what make it is or where she got it.                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Collars
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 11:32:21 AM »
Sorry Shirley but I've thrown the packaging away now and can't remember the name of the company. ::)

Although most people seem to advocate crates over seat belt harnesses I must admit I'm quite happy with the harness. On holiday with reduced boot space I would imagine a crate isn't always practical.  For similar reasons I use the harness as my boot is nearly always full of work things and I don't have room for a crate all the time. Would be interested in the plug-in one Fiona mentions as it can get a bit tangled though. Have been wondering how to cope with 2 entangled dogs in the car and was considering crating Misty.

Shirley I seem to recall from the missing thread that Petpack have seat belt harnesses. ??? Lynsey will know as I think she was inquiring about them.                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Collars
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 11:33:31 AM »
Late as usual, just seen this ;D  I have used the collars you mentioned for both my girls.  An observation though, Shirley mentioned about Morgan not liking the collar being pulled over his head.  When I put Chloe on her harness (she pulls and she is a fat bird ;D) and then try to take it off over her head she jumps like that Buckaroo game.  Doesn't like it at all.  I thought it was another one of her peculiar little foibles but obviously she is not alone.  I wonder why that is ???                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline carol

• Site Member
Collars
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2003, 07:03:32 PM »
Fiona, I've been looking at some better car harnesses for Flynn, and found the one that you click into the seat belt, it's at www.petcompany.co.uk, I ordererd one yesterday, and they've just sent me a mail to say it will arrive within two days :)

HTH

Carol                    

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
Collars
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 08:22:01 AM »
Thanks Carol I'll take a look  :)                    
Fiona & Poppy :)