Author Topic: Is it just cockers?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Re: Is it just cockers?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 10:55:14 PM »
i have to say it's not just cockers,my once in a lifetime dog was a wonderful oes who is sadly at the bridge.
my cockers saved my sanity after losing her and i have to say i think i will always have one or two or maybe three ;) for the rest of my life

Offline Janice-Dylan

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:03:49 PM »
what's an oes?

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 11:08:54 PM »
Old English Sheepdog ;)

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline Janice-Dylan

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 11:12:58 PM »
Of course, silly me. Seems like it's not just cockers then, however the owners are special!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
I have a lab and a golden retriever as well as a cocker.

I love them all to bits and they are all special in their own way. I'm not sure I'd have another lab, and thats purely down to what a nightmare Sapphi was as a pup! Max, my golden retriever, is a gentle boy who loves everyone and everything and is a joy to own.

But I think there is something about cockers. They are such characters, Barney makes me laugh every day. I'd always wanted larger breed dogs and hated the idea of a small dog but when we decided on a third dog we thought a third larger dog might be a bit too much, so looked at various breeds. I'm so pleased we decided on a cocker. Despite the fact I thought I'd hate a dog sitting on my knee, I love it! I love it when Barney jumps on my knee, gives me loads of kisses and then curls up and goes to sleep.  :luv:
And if we decided on a fourth dog it would definitely be a cocker!
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Janice-Dylan

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 11:20:44 PM »
Funny, Dylan is a bit of a nightmare puppy-only in the visciousness and biting stakes tho- he's almost perfect in every other way. That should have put me off cockers you'd think. It may be because I'm finding it so rewarding seeing him slowly improve with our training, and because he's forming such a close bond, he seems to care if I'm not happy with him, before he couldnt care less! Two weeks ago I would never have chosen a cocker again! Funny the difference a short time makes (and a lot of support from here!)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 10:00:24 AM »
if he's under six months you'll find he's teething and its perfectly normal for him to be a bit bitey but nows a great time to train bite inhibition ;)

I find the owners of particular breeds of dogs gravitate towards each other because they have something in common, even if it is only that just pulled my hair out look :D My weimaraner is one of those breeds that will always be your shadow and wants to be involved in everything I do, the danes tend to lollop but are still affectionate, my spaniel well is a typical male spaniel and Ayla my cocker is more comical than anything, she tends to have a fun personality which is very endearing but out of all the dogs I have the weimaraner I'm afraid is the one closest to my own personality so my favorite.

Have to say I don't mind people coming up and saying how much they like my cocker but I do take personal offense when people come up and pick her up all the time >:( all that sort of behaviour has done is make her very nervous of some people because she doesn't like being picked up all the time, she likes to come and say her hello's and then run around and make you smile.  :005:

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »
Have to say I don't mind people coming up and saying how much they like my cocker but I do take personal offense when people come up and pick her up all the time >:( all that sort of behaviour has done is make her very nervous of some people because she doesn't like being picked up all the time, she likes to come and say her hello's and then run around and make you smile.  :005:

Some people  >:( I  would never pick up a strange dog, that's asking for a nasty nip if you ask me  ;)
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »
I can't imagine life without a springer either :luv:

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 05:14:47 PM »
I can't imagine life without a cocker - or a lab!! :luv:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 05:18:53 PM »
There is definitely something about cockers and I will always have them in my life now. Alfie is by far the cuddliest, most loving dog I have ever had but I have to say that so far my 'dog of my lifetime' was Sasha, my German Shepherd who is now at the bridge. She was my soul mate and I doubt I will ever have another dog like her. I adore GSDs and along with cockers they would be my 'breed of choice' but I really think that it's individual dogs which are special, regardless of breed  :luv:

I agree, while cockers are my 1st love I have met and known well some fantastic characters of all breeds and crosses
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 05:36:30 PM »
I have been known on many occasions not just to "head in the general direction" but to sprint after some people  :005: :005: just for a cuddle  ph34r 

Other times I have stopped my car parked up and gone back, just for a chat  ::) ::)

yes, mad I know, but all the Cocker & Springer owners round here are more than accomodating and some even chat more than I do, & thats saying something  :005: