Author Topic: Older Lab and Cocker Pup Playfighting  (Read 1584 times)

Penel

Re: Older Lab and Cocker Pup Playfighting
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »
when he's had enough he just goes off to his bed and keeps out of her way - she never stops

there you go then - he goes off to his bed....that's sufficient isn't it ?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
if I'm watching rugby on the tv it's even more annoying

In my experience, a 15 week old puppy in the house and watching TV are mutually exclusive; with or without an older dog  ::)

For most of Molo's first year, I didn't sit down for more than 15 minutes at a time; I lost of loads of weight (and dropped two dress sized - although I appreciate that may not be as motivating for you, Scott  ;)) - if I wanted to watch anything particular, I made sure I recorded it so that I could pause it when necessary to play/train/toilet Molo as needed  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »
Let the lab tell her when he's had enough... she'll soon get the message.

He doesnt though. He's too gentle and playful himself.

he will, after it goes on for a few days... try it and see on a weekend...

Jock lab (7 yrs) and Fern working cocker (11 months) play fight, Jock still hasn't told her off to this day, he just gives into her ALL the time  ::) when he's had enough he just goes off to his bed and keeps out of her way - she never stops

I have Sapphi, 3 yr old working lab and Barney, 9 months old cocker plus Max, 19 mth Golden Ret. Very similar story, Sapphi never told Max off when as a pup  he hung of her ears, stole everything from her, humped her, chewed any part of her he could get in his mouth and rolled around together. She still hasn't.
When we got Barney she wasn't that thrilled to begin with, but now puts up with all the things she did from Max.
Max always put up with Barney's antics as a young pup and although Max is the boss he's never put anyone in their place, he's very quietly the boss.  :005:

All three play fight, usually in an evening when I'm watching TV.  ::) To me its just part of the joys of owning more than one dog. I do have a "quit it" command if its getting particularly noisy. I love to see them interact with each other.

Personally I think you should let them be together, the more you seperate them and keep them apart the longer this will go on as there will always be the novelty factor when they are allowed to be together. Get a crate for your pup and then let them sleep in the same room. As you quite rightly point out a lab is much bigger than a cocker pup and accidents can happen but carefully supervised they should be fine, if you can't supervise pop her in the crate.

This is all part and parcel of owning a pup and an older dog. Like others have said sleep and TV don't feature much when you've got a young pup in the house.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 08:15:24 AM »
Right, I'm going to sound like a hard faced bitch here......but at least they ARE play fighting. Many owners would give their right arm to have their dogs get on so well.

My previous experience of having 2 dogs was absolutely awful! I had this romantic notion that they would be best friends, play all day and settle down together at night in a big doggy bed made for 2. How wrong was I?

The reality was that Bramble, then a little pup had to be protected from our other dog. She was attacked on a daily basis - and it was horrible.

Millie had many issues - many of you know the story, so I will not go in to it again.

Fast Forward

Bramble is now 2 years old and big sis to Poppy, 4 months old. They play non stop. Poppy can be an evil wee brute to Bramble, and Brammie just takes it.

I agree, the noise is bloody annoying.....and you don't get a chance to watch telly.....but it is much better than the sound of your pup being mauled.

When Bramble has had enough of being the entertainments manager, she simply jumps onto the sofa - Poppy can't get up there, and the game's over.

I would suggest you make sure your lab has somewhere he can escape to for some quiet time. As for the sleeping arrangements, if it's at all possible, it might be worth separating them at night.

Good Luck!
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 10:36:32 AM »
Gosh you should hear the noise from my lot when they get going :005:

I've got Isla (working Lab - 8 1/2 yrs young), who acts as referee (sometimes)when she's not in the thick of it herself!, then Kester (stocky working Lab - 4yrs) thinks he's tough until we got Tizzy!

Bear in mind that Kester weighs in at about 30kg and Tizzy is 9.1kgs, she batters him around, hangs of his ears, tries to put her head in his mouth (?) and is generally a bit of a bully!

At Christmas we had my MIL's 2 working labs as well, so we had all 5 playing in front of the telly - the noise was awfull!

Anyone who is not used to it is quite shocked (my sons school mates had to be re-assured!), BUT at least they all get on so well!

Ali

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 10:48:30 AM »
when he's had enough he just goes off to his bed and keeps out of her way - she never stops

there you go then - he goes off to his bed....that's sufficient isn't it ?

I am happy with my two playing as they do and Jock taking himself off  ;) I only intervene on rare occassions that it's getting out of hand.

To be able to watch tv in peace is great and I've found the perfect solution ...... OH takes them out for a walk  :005:  or if I'm not so lucky the kids play with them when I try to watch the news but the noise is worse than if the dogs were playing on their own as you've got the kids shouting / arguing  "It's MY turn, Mum tell him!"