Author Topic: Is it healthy to have a dog sleeping in you're bed?  (Read 7631 times)

Cazzie

Is it healthy to have a dog sleeping in you're bed?
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
Yes I am guilty of allowing this.  ph34r  3 out of my 4 dogs sleep on or under the duvet.  ph34r  My bed is changed every single day.

My dad has gone crazy at me saying it is infact extremely un hygenic and a friend of his went temp blind due to something he picked up off his dogs from sleeping on his bed   >:D  I know they shouldn't really but do wonder if I am at risk of any potential health risks?  :-\

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Re: Is it healthy to have a dog sleeping in you're bed?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »
I have 1 or two every night but they dont sleep on my bed untill they have woken me up in the morning  then they will get on the bed and fall asleep  :-\ dont mind too much as they dont get inside my bed just on the top
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 02:22:03 PM »
I don't know that it's exactly unhygeinic. I just know I couldn't do because between Pepsi's snoring and OH's I'd NEVER get any sleep  ph34r

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »
Jock sleeps in our room on his bed  :angel: and Fern starts off in hers :angel: but by about 2 am if I roll over then Fern is under the covers snuggled up
Ofcourse I get up and put her back in her bed - NOT  ph34r

What I want to know is how she manages to get in without us knowing

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:30:07 PM »
Chloe always slept on the bed because when she was ill, I always liked her where I could hear any sound in the change of her breathing.  Kali was not going to be let up to sleep on the bed under any circumstances.  She now sleeps on the bed ph34r  Luckily only Mike snores :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »
ellie sleeps in my room but not on my bed. the only reason she isn't allowed to sleep on the bed is that she insists on sleeping on my face >:D and it kinda makes it hard for me to breathe :005:

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Sophie sleeps in my room on my bed  ph34r with her head next to mine on the pillow  ph34r   :luv:

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:38:43 PM »
the only reason she isn't allowed to sleep on the bed is that she insists on sleeping on my face >:D and it kinda makes it hard for me to breathe :005:

:rofl1: :rofl1:

Fern sleeps on our bed but not in it as she tickles - she does have a comfy chair of her own in the bedroom, but generally she's on our bed - she starts off near our feet and works up during the night.  Its nice when OH is on nights to have a furry companion - she's quieter and takes up less room  :005:  I suppose it is a bit unhygenic but we've not come to any harm. 
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Skygazer

• Site Member
  • No empty yoghurt pot must go unlicked
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 02:51:39 PM »
well... you might catch your dog's worms, ticks or fleas & associated diseases (Lyme's disease for example), but if you keep your dogs treated against these, you should be OK.

My dog sleeps in the kitchen due to snoring, bad dreams, twitching and her checking that we are still breathing many times during the night (wakes me up, a doggy snout in my face...).
Slave to Sam

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 02:55:41 PM »
Nice thought!  We had fleas once but that was from something else - we won't go there  :-\ How do you treat Lyme's disease? 
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »
My bed, infact all of upstairs is out of bounds for Lottie (unless she occasionally sneaks up there for a mooch around :005:).

I just couldn't stand all the dog hairs :-\  It's nice to have a hair free zone, much as I love her :shades:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 03:00:43 PM »
 :005: Oh my, if that doesn't frighten people I don't know what does. If you are an asthmatic, or have allergies then no your dog should not be on your bed.

I personally don't allow it, but people have had dogs on their beds for centuries, I've never seen any health warnings or had any breeders tell me it is dangerous

If you like your dogs on your bed then leave them there your health will not be affected and happiness is the healthiest thing around. ;)

Offline Skygazer

• Site Member
  • No empty yoghurt pot must go unlicked
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »
Got this off Internet:
Lyme disease (Borreliosis) is a bacterial infection with a spirochete from the species complex Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, which is most often acquired from the bite of an infected Ixodes, or black-legged, tick.The disease varies widely in its presentation, which may include a rash and flu-like symptoms in its initial stage, followed by the possibility of musculoskeletal, arthritic, neurologic, psychiatric and cardiac manifestations. In most cases of Lyme disease, symptoms can be eliminated with antibiotics, especially if treatment is begun early in the course of illness.
A percentage of patients with Lyme disease have symptoms that last months to years after treatment with antibiotics. These symptoms can include muscle and joint pains, arthritis, cognitive defects, neurological complaints or fatigue. The cause of these continuing symptoms is not yet known. There is some evidence that they may result from an autoimmune type of response, in which a person’s immune system continues to respond even after the infection has been cleared, as well as evidence of ongoing infection with the spirochete.
Delayed or inadequate treatment may often lead to late stage Lyme that is disabling and difficult to treat. Amid great controversy over diagnosis, testing and treatment, two different standards of care for Lyme disease have emerged.

Any less scared?   ;)

Slave to Sam

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »
OH doesn't allow dogs on the bed, or even upstairs anymore, he couldn't stand the hairs on the bed as Mary says. I used to let them up if he was away with work but I would be woken with a cocker on my chest at some ungodly hour pinning me down and licking my face off so I gave up having them upstairs!! They are best of snuggled togther in the kitchen :luv:

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
Have to say I love having my dogs sleep on the bed.  :luv:  :luv:

When OH is on nights Woofie sleeps on the bed and Maddie under the covers snuggled up to me. 

When OH is at home Woofie has to go back to sleeping on the floor on his bed - poor baby!

I must admit though the hairs are terrible - I went to stop at my mums recently and the night clothes I wore covered her bed in dog hairs - she wasn't very pleased  :005:

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx