Author Topic: Milbemax Wormer - Do you need a prescription to buy online?  (Read 10973 times)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
I've been to the vets to get Max's worming tablet.  They've always supplied Drontal in the past but the receptionist said they supply Milbemax now too & would work out more cost effective than the Drontal as I used to have to give 1½ tablets but Milbemax covers a wider range of weights of a dog so he'd only need one tablet @ £5.34  :o
The Drontal was £3.34 (so in effect would have been a few pence cheaper if I saved the other half tablet for 3 months  :shades:)

I know Drontal can be bought online but can Milbemax? 

I've read that some of your dogs have had problems with Drontal, but Max was fine.  Just hoping he's ok with Milbemax too  ;)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
Re: Milbemax Wormer - Do you need a prescription to buy online?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:43:07 PM »
Milbemax can be bought online without prescription but only if you buy from non uk sites, we get ours from Pets Megastore an australian site and i paid £20.94 for 5 x Milbemax tablet for dogs-1 tablet treats 5-25kg (11-55lbs).

Tbh if our vet would supply Milbemax at £5.34 and no additional prescribing fee i would happily buy them from him, however he seems to think £8.50 plus £6 prescribing fee is a fair price - i disagree!

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »
My vets sell 4 for £10. Wonder if I can get some for you.  :-\

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:32:39 PM »
Blimey Hamfam that's ridiculous.

and as for Rhona - it sounds like you've got a bargain.  Maybe I could register with your vets too?  :-\
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:56:17 PM »
My vet charged 8.13p for two tablets
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »
Well partly as a result of our vet overcharging but primarily because he prescribed a medicine that was contraindicated for dogs of Lucy's age at the time, we have changed vets, I don't know (Lucys only been there once last week)  how much our new vet would charge for milbemax but his charge for a checkup and vaccine booster was £30 which i thought was reasonable.
We still have three milbemax left so are not in need of any at the moment but it was unexpected and very kind of you to offer Rhona :angel:

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »
I know you can get Milbemax cheaper online, but I still prefare to pop in to the vets and check her weight (prone to chunkiness  :005: ), its only about £4.50 every 3 months
Plus I thinks its good to pop in just to pick up tablets with Betty, so she doesnt just associate it with nasty visits to the nasty man with the nasty needles  ::)  :005: