Author Topic: Being Attacked  (Read 3965 times)

Offline gerry

• Site Member
Being Attacked
« on: October 28, 2003, 09:34:53 PM »
Advice please...

When out walking yesterday we had a bit of trouble.  Rigsby and a Jack Russell were sniffing each other happily enough when suddently the JR launched itself at Rigsby - there was then a scuffle with much rolling and yelping.  Rigsby broke free yelping and screaming and ran away with the JR in hot pursuit (meanwhile both my kids were terrified) I managed to grab hold of Rigs and lifted him up and kept the dog at bay with my feet until the owner managed to grab hold of him.  She was very apologetic and was assuring me he never normally behaved like that.  What I would really like to know is should I have picked Rigsby up or not?? - he was terrified and I think I would have dropped kicked the JR up the field if it had carried on attacking him, so lifting him up seemed the only option.  >:(

We gave him a thorough "once over" when back at our car - the only injury he sustained was to one ear which had a lump of dried blood at the end which I found when stoking him later on, and it didnt seem to be troubling him.

Any tips for breaking up this sort of thing in the future would be appreciated.  Thanks.                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Being Attacked
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 10:11:58 PM »
poor Rigsby.  I don't see that you could have done anything else other than pick Rigsby up. If the JR was really gunning for him then what other choice was there. The only thing you need to be careful of is that you yourself are not in danger - but in the heat of the moment you just react instinctively. It's easy to forget how much damage a little dog can do :-

The main thing is not to let it make you fear meeting other dogs. If it does Rigsby will pick up on it and will become nervous himself and other dogs will sense that  and more trouble could ensue.

What I always do when I see another dog approaching is to call mine back to me to put on the lead in the hope that the other owner will do the same. If they don't it can cause a problem in that your dog can feel threatened by being on the lead. At least if they are on the lead you can pull them back to you - but it's not an easy one and there is no definitive answer that I know of.

Hope Rigsby is OK and that he soon forgets his little tussle :)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Anonymous

Being Attacked
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 10:59:56 PM »
Aww poor poor ickle Rigsby thats shocking Gerry, those JR's can certainly be quite nasty >:(  I am glad he is OK I am sure like Pammy said you did the right thing, I would have done the same.  I really don't know what the answer is in preventing such attacks, I know you can get a spray to stop dogs jumping up on you, its used a training method, its perfectly safe for them, it just tastes bitter apparantly ::) But I am not so sure how the law stands on this, there is so much "suing" going on these days, but you have to protect your dog, and yourselves, could have been really nasty.

Sending big cuddles to Rigs :)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline PennyB

Being Attacked
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 12:22:17 AM »
Poor you, I know what its like to have your dog attacked by another. I'd have done the same thing. You do what you think is the right thing at that time.

Ruby my eldest cocker who was 11 months old at the time was attacked by 2 staffies back in April. I reacted by grabbing her and trying to pull her off because each time she slipped out of my hands the staffs looked set to devour her even more. One of her owners told me not to do that but I knew (they were basically trying to rip her apart) that it was the bes tthing and also if i hadn't and the worst happened I wouldn't have been able to live with myself. I told my dog trainer the story and he told me of a similar occasion of when he dragged a cav off a staff, an incident he saw happening while driving along a road (I respect this trainer a lot).

I now carry an alarm (someone on another forum said that in their rescue they have a klaxon to break up fights) to assist in this—it will basically distract them or at least if a dog has got hold of yours will let it go.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Being Attacked
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 12:31:09 AM »
Sorry to hear about poor Rigsby Gerry  :(
I think under the circumstances you did the right thing and as the others have said instinct takes over i these situations  ;) I think the hardest thing when your dog has been attacked is to not pass on your fear to your dog  :- I once had a dog attacked by a Rottie and it was terrifying, luckily he was OK but to be honest I still feel i am wary of all other dogs unless I know them  :-[ maybe not a bad thing but I do have to try and control my emotions when walking Butty  ;) Luckily she seems to have a good understanding of doggie ettiquette and usually steers clear of any potential ankle biters  :)

Gilly                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Being Attacked
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 09:17:34 AM »
Might be worth getting Rigsby's anal glands checked out - it has been known to be the cause of seemingly unprovoked attacks, I think some of our members have exoperienced this themselves :)                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Being Attacked
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 09:19:59 AM »
Poor Rigsby :o and poor you.  I hope he won't become fearful of other dogs after such a nasty experience.  I must say it is very irresponsible of the JR owner not to have control over it as I doubt that will have been the first time it has done that!
You did the right thing I'm sure. :D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Being Attacked
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 09:41:06 AM »
Awww poor Rigsby!! you did the right thing in picking him up. As it sounds  as if the little   Bu88er, meant bussiness.  :o

But Whatever you do try not to reasure assure him when your out,  especiely if he  looks  and  seems nervous, just jolly him along . I made that mistake,  ??? and ended up with a very nervous bitch. :(                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

Being Attacked
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 10:09:50 AM »
Might be worth getting Rigsby's anal glands checked out - it has been known to be the cause of seemingly unprovoked attacks, I think some of our members have exoperienced this themselves :)

Am sure its the dogs you were talking about when you mentioned 'anal glands' and 'our members' in the same sentence Mike.

I think that's why Ruby was attacked as well. And I know on another board someone had to rehome one of their dogs as another dog had a chronic anal gland problem and was being attacked in the home all the time.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Being Attacked
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 04:32:50 PM »

Am sure its the dogs you were talking about when you mentioned 'anal glands' and 'our members' in the same sentence Mike.

I think that's why Ruby was attacked as well. And I know on another board someone had to rehome one of their dogs as another dog had a chronic anal gland problem and was being attacked in the home all the time.

You're on my wave length Penny B ;D ;)                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Being Attacked
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 04:42:53 PM »
Hilarious  girls!!!   ;D ;D ;D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline gerry

• Site Member
Being Attacked
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 09:28:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice - I must say he has been fine when out walking since, and has shown no nervousness when meeting other dogs (cant say the same about me when I spotted a large Rottie today - took off in the opposite direction!).

Had to laugh Mike, when reading your message! made me titter ;)  He doesnt appear to be showing any other signs that his anal glands need seeing to, fishy smell etc and I dont think the JR had even got round to sniffing his bum before launching his attack.  But worth bearing in mind incase of a repeat performance.                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Being Attacked
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 10:58:47 PM »
Glad Rigsby is ok Gerry, lets hope he's none the worse for his ordeal  ;D

also pleased that you appreciated the unintentional humour in Mike's post, didn't want you to think I was making light of Rigsby's attack :)                    

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
Being Attacked
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 05:16:42 PM »
I'm glad he's Ok, and I'm sure you did the right thing. Bailey (my pup) would've been terrified, as I'm sure Rigsby was. Jack Russels can be nasty when they want to! i would've done the same,
Jordy
www.aboutbailey.co.uk                    
From Georgie and Bailey xxx

Offline english.springer

• Site Member
    • http://www.cropsafe.co.uk
Being Attacked
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 12:34:15 AM »
Glad Your dog is okay.
Are the kids recovered from the ordeal? I hope so.

The problem is owners who don't have control of their dogs, they don't understand/care how much damage mentally this can have on a dog....I know from experience, One of my springers was ragged by a grayhound when she was 5 months old, 2.5 years later if a dog runs at her she squeals like a wounded pig.(not nice)

As for the excuse of well he has never done that before it just doesn't wash, maybe the reply should be I have never seen him do that before.(as they run up to you huffing and puffing)

It's a shame we have to keep watch for other peoples ignorance.                    
Good birds on the day are only as good as the dogs that put them there!.........If it\'s still moving send the dog!