Author Topic: Are 2 dogs better than one??  (Read 3260 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Re: Are 2 dogs better than one??
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »
We got Zorro when Bella was just coming up to two years old and I have to say that although I think she was perfectly happy as an only dog, she is definitely even happier now. They get on like a house on fire and barely leave each other's sides.

Zorro's now a year old and is in full teenage swing, with Bella joining in whenever she's in a mischievous mood, so it is definitely hard work. One thing we've learned is that although it's easier having a pup with an older dog around (in that there's less destructive chewing, the housetraining was quicker and we didn't get gnawed on as he just chewed on Bella instead  :lol:), you still need to really, really work on all their training separately.  We try and do a short session each day (Ali trains Zorro and I train Bella) and then once a week when I go to agility with Bella, Zorro goes on a separate walk with Ali and does bits of gundog training.

You have twice the cocker cheek, twice the mud, twice the grooming and of course twice the bills. But we wouldn't be any other way now - the affection and fun we get from the dogs, and that they get from each other, far, far outweighs any of the downsides.  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 02:05:24 PM »
We have two but we came about that in a completely weird and unplanned way. It worked out really great for us and they have settled in nicely together with only a few arguements at the beginning while they sorted out their pecking order.  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »
Getting a second dog should be for you though, not primarily as a companion for your first, it is you that they should look to first, not each other  ;)

Totally agree with this  ;)

I don't necessarily agree... I would never have just one dog, because I would always want our dogs to have company of their own kind. So the primary purpose for me to having multiple dogs is the dogs' happiness in the pack and having other dogs to be with! I strongly believe in having sociable animals in pairs or groups of their own kind, be it dogs, rabbits or whatever, because I believe that humans can never replace the company of one of their own kind.

Of course, we also have more than one dog because I want more than one...  ;) but I make every effort that the dogs bond with me as much as they would if they were on their own... and I am actually quite proud (if I may say so...  :shades:) that I have succeeded with that. I have a very strong bond with each individual dog and they can all be controlled individually on walks even if the whole pack is out together. I think that is mainly down to the fact that I do make sure that all dogs get 1-2-1 time with me.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline caty

• Site Member
  • Flyndo
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 03:07:31 PM »
Can I add another bit to this thread.. You often hear that if you have a dog it's best to get a bitch as a second dog.. there seem to be lots of people on here who have two boys... has anyone had a bad experience with this?

Hannah x

I have 2 boys from the same litter and we've never had any problems with them. They play together, walk together and sleep together. They also eat together and there's never been any problems with food stealing or growling around their bowls. I think we've been extremely lucky with both of them.

In saying that I'd definately agree with IWLass in that if one barks it can sometimes set the other off. Flynn is the quiet one of the two and rarely barks, but when Ludo is excited about something or if he's heard something in the garden and barks, Flynn joins in.

Another side of it is that Ludo is fine with other strange dogs, whereas Flynn is a lot more edgy. When Ludo is out walking with us he'll be fine with the strange dog until Flynn is close by and then he seems to mirror Flynn's nervousness and starts to bark to warn the other dog off.

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
We recently added a second Cocker to our family (Livercake's "foster" Storm - now called Mocha).  Milo is just over 2 years old, and Mocha was a few days shy of being 1 when we brought her home.  They've got on brilliantly from day one, and she's settled in really well.   :D  As Rachel says, our relationship with Milo has changed, he's definitely not unhappy or put out, but he's making the most of the fact that the attention's not on him all the time and testing the boundaries again.   ::)  Still, we coped with it during his teenage phase, and we'll cope with it again.   ;)  We got a 2nd dog because we wanted one, not necessarily as company for Milo who I think was quite happy being an only dog.  He does love Mocha though, and now I've seen two dogs living together I don't think I could go back to being a 1 dog family again.   :-\

Personally, I would have two dogs of different sexes and wait until Jester is a bit older, but it entirely depends on the dogs in question.  We fostered a 10 month old male when Milo was 14 months and we really couldn't have kept him.  Milo was definitely subdued when Mikey was here, and since seeing how he's been with Mocha I know that we did the right think in rehoming Mikey, despite the fact we would have loved to have kept him.  Milo's been completely different Mocha and loves having her around.   :luv:  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact she's a girl, but think Milo's age may also be a factor. 

It is hard work, but it's also lovely to see them together.   :luv:  Mocha's only been here for just over 5 weeks, but it feels like forever!   :D
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
We have two, and I want three. I have to do some more work on OH.
Love machine

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »
Having 2 has it's pros and cons.  I love having 2 of them but sometimes think it would be much easier having one.  I love playing individually with my dogs but find it difficult because the other always wants to join in and then they get competitive and start playing together and forget about me :'(.  It's also double the expense when it comes to kenneling etc.  for example we are off to Floriday next year and I know my kennel fee's are going to be about £600 ph34r.  Food is also more expensive and vets bills etc.

But on the plus side my dogs have each other to play with and are so great together and walking 2 dogs takes no more effort than walking one and they run rould like maniacs together so probably wear each other out.

But training is definately harder, making sure they don't become to reliant on each other is hard.

Overall I think it's well worth having 2 and wouldn't ever have just one dog.  When I had 3 it was hard work but maybe that was because my dog who I lost in November was very old and had dementia.

HTH
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
I kept one pup (Pippa) from Holly's litter and then got one of her pups back after 3 months so we are a 3 dog family.

The pups are now 17 months old and it is lovely to see the 3 of them playing and sleeping together.

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
I have 5 dogs so I guess I must think the more the merrier! It is great that your dog has another dog to play with with when you are busy doing something else, and it is great to watch 2-3 dogs playing together. But then you have to think of the extra brushing, cost of food, vets bills etc.

Our oldest dog is Molly, she had a playmate, Bronte, and Moll was 16 months old when Bronte arrived. Then we had Honey and Kitten, litter brother and sister, we had them when Molly 9 years old. And then last year the Cocker's turned up, and there is only 4 months difference in their ages. Ok so sometimes the house/garden is hectic, but they are all obedient and when I say enough they all calm down!

I wouldn't want things any other way!

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 05:21:12 PM »
I agree with the above statement too.

I introduced Breeze when Storm was about 18 months.  I felt it would be easier for her to accept another dog then than when she was older and had got too used to getting all my attention.  My dog I had before I knew would find it hard if I got another dog, so I didnt get one. 

I think it depends on your situation and your current dog as to whether getting another dog is a good idea/and what time is best?

Offline Aggie

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 05:41:50 PM »
We have 2 and although I wouldn't change it, it hasn't been easy. We have a 14 month gap and it isn't enough. Also, I mistook a compliant dog for a well trained one.

My 2 miss each other dreadfully when they are separated but their relationship isn't straight forward.

Offline KarenG

• Site Member
  • Meg & Eran
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 10:33:25 PM »
Hi - we have 2 girls - Meg (18 months) and Eran (10½ months).  It wasn't planned to get another one so soon.  We got Meg from a really great breeder in Alloa and she came home with us when she was 7 weeks old.  We always said we would get another dog, maybe when Meg was 2.  However, we stayed in contact with the breeder and she asked us back in June if we would be interested in another dog - Meg's cousin to be exact.  She had sold Eran to someone who neglected her resulting in her taking Eran back.  She was unable to keep her as she already has 5 dogs of her own.  We brought Eran home in July and she came with us no bother.  Not sure what Meg thought to start with but they get on great!  The play well and sleep together in the same crate.  Very different personalities and naturally they have their moments.  Wouldn't be without either of them!  No regrets.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 12:34:03 AM »
Oh yes!  :D Two are better than one.......but four is better than three!  :005:

I would never have a single dog again. I say that because the change in Sapphi when Max arrived was immense. I would have said she was a happy girl before his arrival but she just blossomed when he arrived.  Sapphi was 21 months old when I got Max, I wouldn't have got him sooner as Sapphi was a bit of a challenge as a pup/adolescent and by the time we got Max she'd grown up considerably. Interetingly she completed that growing up literally overnight of Max coming home.

I went for a boy because I'd been told a fair bit that two bitches would be asking for trouble and that they'd fight all the time. Well boy and girl worked out very well, couldn't have been better, however a few years on and rather more experienced I know so many people who have two, three and four bitches together without any problem.

We decided to add to our family when Max was 11 months old. This decision was based on Max. He arrived at 8 weeks old a grown up, he has been a dream to own he's never exhibited troublesome puppy behaviour, there was even no sign of adolescence! Barney came along when Max was 11 months old, Sapphi and Max were a little confused by what this tiny "thing" was that just slept at my feet all the time. A few days in Max and Barney were firm friends and within the week Sapphi had accepted his presence.  Within two or three weeks they had all gelled together and were having a whale of a time together.
Max didn't change one bit because of getting Barney when we did. Barney was our first cocker and within the first couple of months he'd thrown up things to deal with the others had never thrown up but I think because I picked up on them and dealt with them immediately we didn't get problems later on. From being around six months old he's been so good and a grown up little man, again we've not had any signs of adolescence.
Morgan arrived when Barney was 11 months old, once again his arrival didn't lead to any problems. Barney hated him for all of four hours!  :005: From then on they have been inseparable.

I really think that it depends on your dogs AND your circumstances as to how many dogs you should have and when you should introduce them. I knew with Sapphi there was no way I could have added in a dog earlier, but it was a different story with the boys. However, I am at home all day, I don't have kids, the dogs are my life and my life is run around their needs. I spend quite alot of my time training them, and training them individually. I attend training sessions with each of them too. I believe that my circumstances has played a huge part in how my boys have grown up quickly and I certainly do not think that everyone should do as I have done.  But I do think that deciding when the time is right to add another dog you should base that decision on your dog, your circumstances and the time you are able to dedicate to them.

I haven't had any problems at all with having three boys together and I can hand on heart say that my four have never even so much as have had a squabble. I'm not planning on adding any more to our happy band for about 4 years, but when I do it will be a boy.

Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)