Author Topic: how much is the average cost of a pedigree blue roan pup ?  (Read 12507 times)

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
Re: how much is the average cost of a pedigree blue roan pup ?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 03:11:44 PM »
 :D ph34r Get a rescue dog!!! :D ;)

Look at my Parkety - a finer specimen you'd be hard pressed to meet! :luv:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/littlebear_2006/DSC00132.jpg
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »

my new baby is a show type and is £550.00 which seems average for my area - Scotland

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:11 PM »
The point isn't that there might be cheaper pups out there though, it's the likelihood of these cheap puppies not coming from reputable breeders. People have their own opinions of course but this is one of those things where imo you get what you pay for, even in terms of backup from the breeder you get the pup from. With Rodaidh I know that Charlie's always there at the end of the phone if I have any questions or worries. I'm no breeder but if I did ever breed pups I would most definitely charge the higher end of the 'going rate' for them as this is one way in which I could try to ensure that the people who bought them were more likely to have stopped and thought about it before forking out so much cash.

Anyway you wouldn't need to sell Sweep's pups, they'd be coming to meeeeeeeeee!!!!!  :shades: :005: :005:

No she'd only have one and Id be keeping it  :005:

I totally disagree with someone thinking before they shed out loads of cash before buying a pup it happens all the time. Look at my friend he rescues St Bernards now they aint cheap, the people who originally bought them certainly didnt think before forking out the cash for them as pups  and there are loads of similar costed dogs in rescues as well :o

I could think of lots of dogs that have been bought for a lot of money that have been rehomed or returned to the breeder and tbh the cash they paid for the dogs was the last thought, they do not take into consideration how they are going to look after the dog in various ways and how do you know that because they paid £750 for one of your pups they are going to look after that dog to the standard we have  :-\ We dont.

I know one of my customers bought a working cocker for £275, now that dog has the very best of everything and is being well trained, I know that if I had pups available I would most deff want one to go to someone like him who doesnt have alot of cash but will give the dog a fine loving forever home.

Also what about rescue dogs, why are they not charging alot of cash for their dogs? Do they not think that if someone pays alot for a dog it will be looked after better  :-\ ;)

I think the thing is those responsible owners who have researched there chosen breed will know what price to expect to pay, I would be wary of someone charging £300 for a show type in the south west, I wouldn't be thinking that's a good deal  :-\.

I dont live in the south west, I am from n.ireland.£300 is an average price where I come from... :D

I'm ADDICTED to - it's great WOOOOOOOFFFFFF

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »
I dont live in the south west, I am from n.ireland.£300 is an average price where I come from... :D

I'm from Northern Ireland too and the reputable working cocker breeders I know at home still charge more in the region of £400 for a pup. I don't know about show types, but again they are likely to be more expensive as they generally are elsewhere.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »
:D ph34r Get a rescue dog!!! :D ;)

Look at my Parkety - a finer specimen you'd be hard pressed to meet! :luv:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/littlebear_2006/DSC00132.jpg
he looks lovely, hes lucky u found him.If u dont already know i have a rescued cocker and i love him to bits..
his head is actually on top of my laptop as we speak he loves the attention :luv:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 08:05:32 PM »
I'm in Manchester & bought Billy ( show type) four years ago for £450.

I agree you get what you pay for, if i saw puppies for any less than this I'd be very very suspicious  :-\

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 08:12:51 PM »
We paid £500, also visited a lady who charged £650 but these were show types from a proven show sire, we didn't like her though so found a different breeder (not because it was cheaper, that was just a bonus!  :005:)

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 08:19:02 PM »
I paid £600 for my little one. The first puppy we found was £325 and turned out to be puppy farmed.  :'(  I'm not making a judgment, just passing on my experience.
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 08:21:32 PM »

If you are basing your "average" on classified adverts, then this may be misleading; reputable breeders have a waiting list and don't need to advertise, so you are not seeing a "true" price - how many breeders have you contacted?

I remember how concerned I was about price, as it a huge amount to part with in cash to someone you don't know - I realised after being a member of COL for a while that "getting a good deal" is immaterial; there are far more important things, and if it means saving for a bit longer in order to make sure that the sire, bitch and puppies are well bred, healthy and of good temperament then that is what we would do :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »
I paid £600 for my little one. The first puppy we found was £325 and turned out to be puppy farmed.  :'(  I'm not making a judgment, just passing on my experience.
what do u mean by "puppy farmed" i am interested   :huh: ;) :huh:

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 08:51:53 PM »

I'm from Northern Ireland too and the reputable working cocker breeders I know at home still charge more in the region of £400 for a pup. I don't know about show types, but again they are likely to be more expensive as they generally are elsewhere.
would you have any phone numbers of good breeders that you could pass on to me (in n.i of course) ;)

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »
Puppy farmers are breeders, who breed usually on a large scale without much thought to the welfare of their dogs. They do not carry out health testing on the pups parents. The dogs may hardly ever see the light of day
they are just used for breeding machines. They don't look into the lines of the dogs to see if they are suitably matched. Often breeding pups of poor temperament and ill health. All they are concerned about is making money. The sire and dams should be genetically health tested for diseases to make sure they are not passing it on to their progeny. I'm sure there is a lot more to say about puppy farmers and somebody who has dealt with these people will belong to fill you in. You sure don't want to buy a puppy that may turn out to be aggresive or suffer illness.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
I think usually its anywhere from £650 upwards in the south west!

I'd better start saving!  ;)
Me too Tracey  :005:
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »
Puppy farmers are breeders, who breed usually on a large scale without much thought to the welfare of their dogs. They do not carry out health testing on the pups parents. The dogs may hardly ever see the light of day
they are just used for breeding machines. They don't look into the lines of the dogs to see if they are suitably matched. Often breeding pups of poor temperament and ill health. All they are concerned about is making money. The sire and dams should be genetically health tested for diseases to make sure they are not passing it on to their progeny. I'm sure there is a lot more to say about puppy farmers and somebody who has dealt with these people will belong to fill you in. You sure don't want to buy a puppy that may turn out to be aggresive or suffer illness.
thanks for that i will be very carefull before i get my new baby :luv: :huh: :luv:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 09:20:05 PM »
what do u mean by "puppy farmed" i am interested   :huh: ;) :huh:

Get your tissues ready  :'(

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/poppysopinions/puppyfarming/

this is a good ( but very sad) site:-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/hopeuk/thinking.htm