Author Topic: Your cocker v other type of dog in multi-dog households :)  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Your cocker v other type of dog in multi-dog households :)
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 09:05:43 PM »
I think working labs are lovely too... but it does seem that most re-homes are not working type - or if they are, they're not suitable to have in a house with youngish kids - or they're destined for working homes only  ;)

Please note I don't think labs are boring and didn't say that either, but some of the lab family dogs that I know locally are a little too placid and wouldn't hold enough spark or interest for me. I want to replace a little of what I had with my last dog which was totally boundless energy, a little wired and just a wonderful relationship.. watching him kangaroo leap through the forest after deer or rabbits was just the best! He was always a challenge and I miss that and would like a bit of that in another dog that's a bit bigger than a cocker if that makes sense!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 09:14:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of labs although they have been a family pet in the past i find them boring and a bit thick in comparison to the weimaraner or the cocker for that matter bit too happy to please as well, I like a dog with a bit of a challenge in them (sorry if you own a lab). 

OMG!!! :o There is absolutely NOTHING boring, placid or thick about my labrador at all!!! In fact my life became one huge challenge the moment my lab entered my life  :005: I had two cockers, then when I lost one of them  :'( along came labrador Oscar. As you all know cockers are happy little souls in general but I have never known a dog with such an absolute, sheer joy for life that Oscar has. He is extremely intelligent (and thats even though he is pure show lines). He has won at agility and regularly competes, he goes to obedience training  :005: and has gone to heelwork to music classes as well. He learnt how to use a flyball machine in about ten minutes flat and is very quick to learn anything new.

He is gentle as can be with my children and my cats, and he adored Scully my cocker girl who I just lost :'( Yet he is big and tough with anyone he thinks he needs to protect me from :D

As far as him and Scully getting along goes - Scully was blind and he used to take a few steps, wait for her to catch him up, then take a few more. She didn't go far or fast in these last few months but he was incredibly patient with her.

Another bonus with having a lab and a cocker is that they both like the same things generally; water, mud, food..... (makes life easier if they like the same kinda stuff :D)

I wouldn't trade him for another breed for all the world even though cockers were my first love. I have a bond with him that I never thought would be possible after my Sasha, and I find it even stronger than I thought it was since losing Scully.

Just my humble opinion of course but in my world cockers and labs are very well matched :luv:
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline lolamum

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 09:58:26 PM »
OMG Tobycat. Your dogs look exactly like mine except my cocker is smaller. They are the same colour. What beauties!  :luv:  :luv:  :luv:

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 10:26:11 PM »
Aww Lola thats lovely to hear. This is my fav piccy of them together but sadly we no longer have Scully (cocker). :'( Would love to see a photo of yours...
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »
Cockers and Pointers here. My two pointers are much calmer than my cockers around the house but boy do they have a big bark. Dhali would defend us in an instant i have no doubt Jethro would probably lick them to death. They are a fab breed very loyal and loving just like cockers only they take up more room on the sofa :005:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 11:53:40 PM »
The choccy lab we know is two now and still such a pup, big brown dopey bear. I don't know if it's a fallacy that choccys are a bit madder but in my experience they are. Again setters have that forever pup personality for me and some springers also.

ETA: Have a look at Guiness on Dogs trust  :luv:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2007, 08:47:42 PM »
Another lab & cocker fan here!!

Prior to Domino we have always had labs & I admit I'm biased but I do love them!! ;)

None of our labs have been overweight (there's no more reason why they should be any more than cockers) & I do love their gentle easy-going natures.

Domino is much brighter & quicker on the uptake than Spike but Spike is unbelievably good-natured & tolerant.

Our house-guest, Rooney, is a Cairn Terrier & he is the sweetest & most inoffensive little chap you could wish to meet; he loves people & other dogs & he has now gone back home & I must say that I really miss him. :'(
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)