Author Topic: HOW MUCH DO YOU WALK?  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
HOW MUCH DO YOU WALK?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2003, 06:48:20 PM »
Depends on the day really, but up to 5 hours a day (and I have kept the minimum on 2 hours/day, I feel really bad if my dogs are on less exercise).                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline dollar

• Site Member
HOW MUCH DO YOU WALK?
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 04:54:39 PM »
Just curious to know how much everyone walks their cockers on a daily basis.  I must admit, I so hate this weather - it's so dark and wet...walking my boy isn't that much fun...especially as he get so muddy and wet and the floor in my kitchen is white :(  - The problem with Monty is he never gets really zonked - so I never really know when he feels he's walked enough....he just keeps going.....in the summer this is fine as we are always out and about with him - but this time of year is different.  So how long should be long enough....or am I asking an impossible question? :oops:

Hi Jen,
Our Bramble just loves walks but is getting rather tubby.
I went to my well  man clinic and the nurse asked do you walk I said yes
she said do you get out of breath and thinking I was been clever I said no.
Well she said you should .
I have recently come to the conclusion that walking our little friends isnt enough and like us they need to be gettng out of breath getting the old ticker working and those muscles toned up, chasing a ball or stick is great exersise,when the weather changes I am certainly starting madam off on a excersise programme.
To answer your original question I dont think there are enough miles to tire them out we will always come home tuckered.
Regards
Dollar and Bramble :lol:                    
dollar

Offline PennyB

HOW MUCH DO YOU WALK?
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2003, 01:05:45 PM »
Mine varies, but usually depends on workload rather than the weather. My 2 love going out in all weathers and to be honest once I got my act together and got decent walking/weather gear I don't mind either. The mud's a pain in the house, but you forget it when you see how happy Wilf is jumping up and down in a muddy puddle—bit like a child with his 1st pair of wellies!

Mind you I've found it all depends on where you walk in the rain—we're all as miserable as anything lead walking on the pavement (no matter how wrapped up I am and Ruby and Wilf look positively suicidal trudging along), but let them run free on the park or the Taff Trail and we wouldn't be anywhere else at that moment.

After I posted this we went on a glorious walk (all off lead) through the most abysmal weather (basically lots of heavy rain), which stopped of course as soon as I got in, and despite looking like drowned rats my 2 wanted to go out again!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Hel

• Site Member
HOW MUCH DO YOU WALK?
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2003, 06:32:57 PM »
My walking varies according to weather, where I am and workload (the three w's!).  

Both of mine can survive on 30 mins every other day, if necessary - as it was when I had the flu (they were so understanding).  Normally, winter is at least an hour weekdays and longer at weekends, but longer if I am in Teesdale.  Summer is two hours a day +, sometimes all day.  

Pip, despite or perhaps because being, an outside dog tied to a chain before he was rescued, does not like wet weather and would not even go out into the garden when the weather got wet and cold .  He's got better in the last few weeks - he now knows he won't ever be left out there.

Pip is on a lead on walks, but in Teesdale, is off lead in a secure field.  He gets much more exercise there in 10 mins than hours on lead.

Fletch is half working, off lead unless on a road, and needs so much more exercise and stimulation than Pip.  With Fletch, ball throwing and looking for the ball is a must on a walk.  He also needs plenty of stimulation in the house looking for toys.

My parents' bitch strolls over to the edge of the field, has a wee and comes back home.  She is younger than mine (she is 5) and is by far the most laziest cocker I have ever known!

Every cocker is different  :D