Author Topic: New Puppy  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Phil

• Site Member
New Puppy
« on: December 08, 2003, 10:04:04 AM »
Didn't know under what forum to post this so I'll do it here. Maybe there should be a forum for new arrivals!

Anyway, as you can gather from the subject, we are the proud parents of a new puppy! We had a phone call on Friday from a breeder saying that someone had ordered a puppy from her, but when she rang up to say it was ready apparently the other people had already got another dog from someone else. Still, their lose, our gain.

Our puppy is nine weeks old, jet black, and completely fearless. His name's Brin, he already had a name when we got him and its a bit mean to change it. His mum was eye tested which was our concern, has an impressive pedegree, and comes from a good breeder. We got him Saturday, a bit sooner than our puppy plans had intended so it was a bit of a panic to get everything for him. There wasn't much sleep to be had Saturday night but last night he was a lot better. We've started toilet training him outside and I think he's getting the hang of it although this maybe more luck than judgement (and there's not much co-operation at 1.30 in the morning!). Yesterday we started to crate train him and tonight we're going to try a collar. So that'll be GCSE French by the end of the week!

Anyway thanks for all your support with our pre-puppy questions and especially thanks to Jane for her advise. I'm sure there'll be a shed load of post-puppy questions to come!

Phil.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 10:49:35 AM »
Hi Phil - and congratulations  :mrgreen:

I would think that if you did want to change the pups name, now is the time to do it. I shouldnt imagine it would cause much of a problem at this early stage.

Good luck with all the training, dont forget to make good use of our FAQ section, and anything else you need to know, ask away  :wink:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
New Puppy
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 11:52:47 AM »
Congratulations on your new puppy Phil  :lol:  :lol: And as Mike has said ask as many questions as you like as that's why we are all here  :wink:

A friend of mine changed her dogs name from Katie to Kaylie, it didn't take her long to answer to her new name although that is probably because they sound so similar.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
New Puppy
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 05:51:29 PM »
Congrats on your new puppy, I'm sure he will give you hours of love and trouble. (only joking)                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 06:03:58 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrival, it's so exciting when you first get them, even though you have sleepless nights.
Lots of happy days together. :D                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
New Puppy
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 06:20:38 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrival!

Millie was originally called Minnie when we picked her up - but "Minnie come" was to much of a mouthful to shout ( I think its something to do with the "n"s in the middle making it sound too sharp or something!  :?)
Anyway she quickly adjusted, but again they're very smiliar sounding names; although she'll come to just about anything if you say it in a nice enough way   :roll:  :twisted:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
New Puppy
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »
Just wanted to add my congratulations Phil :D I hope in all the excitement you won't forget that you now have to add another name on the xmas pressie list :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 09:26:20 PM »
:) Congratulations Phil, i'm really pleased for you!!

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
New Puppy
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 09:33:23 PM »
You can always tell a new puppy owner, by the glazed expression & bags under their eyes !  :lol:                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Phil

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 09:37:17 AM »
That's for the messages, people.

The bags under the eyes are coming on nicely! Actually to be honest Brin's not too bad, better than I expected him to be. I think alot of the sleepless night is laying awake just in case he wakes up whilst he's out for the count in his bed!

Tried the collar last night. We put it on and he completely ignored it. Result! He seems completely un-phased by anything at the moment. I'm sure it wont last but we'll make the most of it while it does!

He's off to the vet this morning for a checkup.

Its amazing how soft and sentimental you become once you get a puppy.

Phil.                    

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 12:06:39 PM »
Hi Phil

you beat us to it!  We've been having a right game getting our puppy - the good news (fingers crossed) is that we will be going to see our breeder tomorrow, and meeting our pup to be for the first time (4 weeks old) then getting her in the new year.

Look forward to sharing 'new owners woes' with you then!

All the best with your pup

Phil (the other one!)                    
All the best
Phil

Offline Phil

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 12:24:01 PM »
Hi Phil,

Good luck getting your puppy. Worth the wait and you'll have something to look forward to after Christmas. You'll probably never forget the first time you meet your dog, I don't think we will.

What shinanigans have you had getting your dog?

It'll be good sharing experiences with you. That's the beauty of this forum. My first bit of advise (owned a puppy for three days, now the world's expert!) would be to get a crate/cage (whatever they're called - see, expertise didn't last long!). Ours is a godsend at night.

He got a clean bill of health at the vets this morning. Apparently was chatting up the receptionist!

Phil                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
New Puppy
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 05:58:10 PM »
We are going to get our blue roan cocker puppy in a few weeks and its me who is going to train him.  Should I take him to a puppy traing class, and if so, how can I find out if there is one in my area. :wink:                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline PennyB

New Puppy
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 06:05:07 PM »
We are going to get our blue roan cocker puppy in a few weeks and its me who is going to train him.  Should I take him to a puppy traing class, and if so, how can I find out if there is one in my area. :wink:

Its always useful for new puppy owners to go to puppy classes (they're as much about socializing as they are training) unless you have loads of experience there's always something to learn. Also socialization of your pup as soon as you get them is extremely important. Ask at your vets for the nearest puppy class or any dog walkers you may meet.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
New Puppy
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2004, 01:26:27 PM »
Hi Katherine,
There is an association of dog trainers who have a web site on http://www.apdt.co.uk/
You can find a list of trainers in your local area beside their specialities.
We have recently adopted an 8 year old female - Tia - from the RSPCA, and their local rehomer suggested a dog trainer who I'd already found on that site. I have met them once, and they are very welcoming and very good!
Good luck,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!